AZ Barbeque.com

New Member Here

Discussion started on

dmsne

Hello

My name is Ed. I have been roasting whole hogs and primals in New England (yes New England!) for 20 years or so as a hobby. I use a labor intensive block oven at each event. I use charcoal and apple wood. Buy all my hogs locally from Hilltown Pork in Granville MA. I have three sauces I have developed; Hawaiian; Garlic and Kicking Garlic. Finally putting up small batches in bottles and will be test marketing locally this summer. Most of the events are charitable fund raisers and friends' related (Weddings, Graduations, etc). some pictures at my blog  http://dmsne.blogspot.com/

Would appreciate any advice on building a masonry BBQ/pig roaster/smoker (See Blog for the only one I have found close to my needs) At our Irish Club ( http://www.sonsoferin.com/ ) we are trying to agree on plans, so if anyone has any information that would help us out

Also any advice on bottling my pig sauces.

As far as events up here; the New England BBQ Festival is in July and sponsored by Harpoon Beer. They have no whole hog category; so I have not participated. Maybe next year.

I have seen the Diamond smokers before; curious as to others' experience with them. They seem a great price for the design and flexibility. Hope to get one soon as my block oven building days are short lived.

Regards
#1 - May 15, 2006, 11:38:18 am

Mike (AZBarbeque)

New!
Ed,  Great to have you on here, I split your post to a new topic so we could all welcome you to our great forum.

An Irish Club  :o Now that is a club I should be involved with.  ;D  I'm Irish on St. Patty's Day, does that count?   ;)

Here are some links to other Masonry pits.  When you do build one, let us know what you go with and post some pictures, I am certainly interested in seeing one of these in person, they look fantastic.

http://geocities.com/swinetinglingbbq/brickpit.html

http://www.ibiblio.org/lineback/bbq/wdh.htm

http://www.bbqlodge.com/bbqpit/bbqpit.htm

I don't know if any of them provide what you are looking for, but they do sound very interesting.

Now, when you do start to sell those sauces, keep us in mind out here, we love Garlic.

The Diamond Plate Grills are great for the price, they cook very well, are easy to use maintain Tempertures, clean and maintain in general.  They tow beautifully and are always a bit hit at events.

Hopefully we get to meet up with you soon either in your neck of the States or ours.    Keep checking in on the site and jump in and participate, I think you will find we have some great people on here, host some great events and have some great BBQ Knowledge.

Great to have you.
#2 - May 15, 2006, 05:23:03 pm
« Last Edit: May 16, 2006, 11:36:18 am by Sun Devil BBQ »
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

bearbonez

Welcome aboard Ed. Sounds like you are having a lot of fun up there. Hope you are staying dry. I have never seen a mason pit in person but would sure like to see one in action some day.
 I can give you a basic run down on the bottling process. First you need to find a local co-packer. Basically you meet and discuss options and operations (i.e. sizes of batches they contract, labeling, etc.) You take in a test batch which is a small amount. Only a few ounces. They run tests on it for PH levels and other tests to see how it may fair on the shelf. Than you submit the recipe and they make a test batch for your approval or make neccessary corrections. From there you get camera ready art made up for the logo and have a test label printed. That get's turned into the co-packer for approval making sure it meets all the FDA requirements. The co-packer should be able to refer you to a printer'grapics design they work with regularly and know what needs to be done to meet requirements. Once that is accomplished, you pick the bottle type you like and you're in business. Some will market for you, others won't. Some may help set up demos at food stores. Yes, that means you get to be the lil ol lady in the store giving samples. I will be there myself. Thimk I will leave off the red and white checker, frilly apron though.
 Do your homework and check out different co-packers. Even one's down the road a bit. Once set up, you won't have to make trips anymore, just send a check. Also see if they handle distribution. It should be a small fee to do so, and saves alot of time. They already know thier buyers and the market.
 Weekend homework. Go knocking on doors at supermarkets, local specialty food stores, anyone that sells kitchen and bbq supply, even costco and sam's club carries local product. I have seen a hawaii only bbq sauce from a local joint for sale at costco. Talk to the managers and set up a demo. Make chicken or pulled pork ahead of time and just show up with an electric skillet and your product to serve.
 Holy smokes I am getting long winded here. Anyway that's the jist of it. I hope you do well.
#3 - May 15, 2006, 10:16:41 pm
David "Bear" Nunley

Members: