AZ Barbeque.com

New Member from Phoenix

Discussion started on

larrryt

Hello!

Born in and grew up in Phoenix.  I have been smoking for quite a few years now with a Big Green Egg and ready to take it to the next level.   Just got a used 20" Diameter x 36" offset and need to figure out how to work that thing.   Gave it a test drive a few weekends ago and had quite a time with it.   I would like to perfect the pulled pork and brisket one of these days.

Looking forward to talking with you all.

Larry T.
#1 - March 28, 2011, 07:54:41 pm

Mark

Hi, Larry. I'm a native Phoenician as well. I went to West High, Phoenix College and ASU. I cook on Kamados. Welcome aboard. It's a great group and you are sure to learn a lot from their expertise.
#2 - March 28, 2011, 09:22:10 pm
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Welcome to the site/club Larry, great to have you here.

We do have a great group of BBQers on here with lots of great discussions & events.  Look forward to seeing you online here and out at some of those events.

Post up pictures of your new smoker and any questions you may have, we are always willing to offer up advice & suggestions.

WELCOME!!

Mike
#3 - March 29, 2011, 03:28:16 am
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

richoso12

Hello Larry,and welcome to the club. Friendly members are here to help you out if and when it's needed. It's all good my friend.
#4 - March 29, 2011, 11:10:28 am
GOSM big block, Weber 22.5 in one touch, AMZN cold smoker. I Grow NM Heritage 6-4, NM Jalmundo, NM Vaquero, Poblano,Serrano Tampiqueno. Habaneros are Orange, Antilla, Bondo Ma Jacque, and Red Savina. I use mesquite, cherry, apple, alder, and red oak chunks.

KidCurry

Welcome!
#5 - March 29, 2011, 01:51:59 pm
KidCurry@AZBarbeque.com
KCBS CBJ
Mike boils his ribs....pass it on.

azkitch

Glad you're aboard. I have an old Brinkmann Smoke 'n' Pit Professional offset, which is a 16" X 36" that I used to use. I built a UDS--built is exaggerating a bit--and I use that exclusively for now. I should use it some more, but I have to screw with it every hour to keep it smoking. With the UDS, I check it, and mess a bit to keep the fire regulated, but nothing like the offset. Runs for 15 hours on a load.
#6 - March 30, 2011, 08:23:16 pm
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

AzQer

Welcome to the club Larry glad you found us
#7 - March 31, 2011, 06:43:59 am
Mark Smith
Southern Arizona BBQ Club Ambassador
MarkSmith@AZBarbeque.com

Crash

Welcome Larry.  Great group here.
#8 - March 31, 2011, 11:53:14 pm
I love animals.  They're delicious!
VRM Pit Crew

larrryt

[img]Okay - I tried out the new offset a few weeks ago with a pork ribs.   They turned out pretty good but had some hard times.   A lot more work than I was hoping for.   

- Started the offset with a nice mixture of oak & pecan.  Produced a good fire and let it burn down to hot coals. 
- Closed down the smoker and started bringing up to temp (180 or so). 
- Started smoking like I was burning tires in the front yard - fogged out the whole neighborhood.   It was a white smoke and lots of it.   I tried to calm it down by taking off any wood and it helped a little but couldn't maintain my temp.
- Threw in the towel and switched to hardwood/lump charcoal
- Futzed with the temp and charcoal for the rest of the session.

Do you guys know where I might have gone wrong?   I was sure hoping for a nice 8hrs of temp with a load of wood.   Guess I might have been a little optimistic.

Attached is a picture the smoker.   I think I need to extend the fire-grate to cover the whole fire-box bottom and get some fresh wood (the wood I used was a few years old).   

Thanks for the advice.

[attachment deleted by admin]
#9 - April 06, 2011, 08:29:37 pm

Atlas

Hard to tell from the pictures, but I would start at the exhaust stack.  It needs to pull from lower in the smoke chamber.  The temp at the cooking grates will be hard to maintain if the hotest air is just allowed to escape through the stack.

Jim
#10 - April 07, 2011, 08:37:36 pm
Fire Magic Charcoal Grill, ECB, NBBD with 20 Lb tuning plate, Pro Q Frontier.

Members: