AZ Barbeque.com

New Here

Discussion started on

Harpo

Hi, new to the sight as the subject says but I have cooked on smokers off and on for over 30 years but got serious about it around 3 years ago. I have always used the elec. smokers that you have to get up all night and add chips to every hour or so. Needless to say that cut into my sleeping, so last year I took the plunge and handed over the money for a Traeger Texas. Smoking has never been the same. I was not happy with there pellets and after talking to Mike at BBQ Island I bought some Branch Creek Pellets and have 2 Pork Butts to cook this weekend. I'm told I will love the Pellets. I'm from KY and everything is cooked with Hickory so looking to trying it. I am really looking forward to finding some new ideas and sharing some of my semi secrets and maybe even get to meet some of you on here on here.
#1 - April 09, 2010, 12:09:01 pm
I don't eat vegetables. The meat I eat, eats vegetables.
Grill Dome Ceramic Smoker/Grill
FEC 100

jmcrig

Welcome to the site. Bring your questions and experiences on. And remember, we love pictures. ;D ;D
#2 - April 09, 2010, 12:45:43 pm

KidCurry

Welcome Harpo.  looking forward to learning your semi-secrets, anything to better my Qabilities.  ;)

FYI: Its going to be a little slow around here this weekend due to the comp going on out in Scottsdale. 
#3 - April 09, 2010, 12:48:43 pm
KidCurry@AZBarbeque.com
KCBS CBJ
Mike boils his ribs....pass it on.

AzJohnnyC

Welcome.
#4 - April 09, 2010, 01:10:35 pm
Whiskey Business BBQ
WWW.Facebook.com/whiskeybusinessbbq

Weber 22-1/2 Silver
Twin Pro Q Excel 20s
Lang 84 Deluxe

Mark

Welcome, Jerry! Hickory is tougher to come by in the Southwest. The first time I was in your neck of the woods in the wintertime, I was always hungry. Seems like folks would burn hardwood like hickory in their fireplaces. What a beautiful scent! :P Out here, a lot of folks burn mesquite and pecan for firewood. Not a bad perfume, either! ;)
#5 - April 09, 2010, 09:23:58 pm
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

azkitch

Make sure you come out and meet some of us at the Arizona BBQ Festival at the Scottsdale Waterfront. Welcome aboard!
#6 - April 10, 2010, 08:33:32 am
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

dave from mesa

Welcome to the group, Jerry.
#7 - April 10, 2010, 04:11:32 pm
dave from mesa

Vietnam Vets may be eligible for medical care and disability compensation. Contact the VA if you have prostate cancer or type 2 diabetes.

Harpo

Welcome, Jerry! Hickory is tougher to come by in the Southwest. The first time I was in your neck of the woods in the wintertime, I was always hungry. Seems like folks would burn hardwood like hickory in their fireplaces. What a beautiful scent! :P Out here, a lot of folks burn mesquite and pecan for firewood. Not a bad perfume, either! ;)

Knowing Hickory wood is hard to come by, I went with a Traeger pellet unit and trying for the first time today Epp Farms Hickory I got from BBQ Island. Traeger pellets were a waste of money, to much filler and not enough smoke flavor. This is luch for today.

[attachment deleted by admin]
#8 - April 11, 2010, 08:46:42 am
I don't eat vegetables. The meat I eat, eats vegetables.
Grill Dome Ceramic Smoker/Grill
FEC 100

jmcrig

I think you'll be happy with the Epps Farms pellets, Traeger's are crap(personal opinion). Stick with the boys at BBQ Island, they've been very good to this board, and have always treated me right.
#9 - April 11, 2010, 09:08:01 am

azradtech

Welcome to the club Jerry, Epps seem to have a good product I have a BBQ 100 and drive from Tucson to get pellets from BBQ Island. Looking forward to some of your BBQ Adventures
#10 - April 11, 2010, 10:14:45 am
Dorothy
CBJ

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Welcome to the club Jerry, great to have you here.  Jump on in and enjoy it, we have a lot of great BBQers with lots of passion for BBQing, so I'm sure you will fit right in.

Look forward to seeing you online here more and hopefully out at some of our great upcoming competitions.

WELCOME!!

Mike
#11 - April 11, 2010, 05:55:05 pm
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

smitty250

Welcome Jerry - enjoy the site.
#12 - April 12, 2010, 09:50:59 am
Loot N' Booty BBQ
2014 American Royal Invitational Chicken Champion
2014 American Royal Open Reserve Grand Champion
2016 Jack Daniels Invitational World Pork Champion
2014, 2015 and 2016 AZ BBQ Team of the Year

Gizzy's Smokin Crew

Welcome aboard Jerry. Great to meet you. Nice Pic
#13 - April 12, 2010, 11:52:17 am
Gizzy's Q'N Crew......"FANG" Tastic BBQ
Brinkman Pitmaster Deluxe
Weber Genesis Gas Grill

BrownBearBBQ

Welcome Jerry! Looks like a great lunch!! Oh for smellavision!!
#14 - April 12, 2010, 12:40:24 pm
Diamond Plate Series 70 Modified
Southern Pride  300
Traeger
KCBS Judge #56038

Brown Bear BBQ Catering and Personal Chef

Providing the Best of "Smokin' Good Times"!!

glenntm

Welcome Jerry.  Hope you enjoy the site...
#15 - April 13, 2010, 08:29:24 am

Members: