AZ Barbeque.com

If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have any luck at all

Discussion started on

hungries8

Hello Everyone. I'm new to smoking and am having a heck of a time. Had someone turn me on to this website.Is there anyone out there that is willing to give me some advice, I just can't get seem to get it right and am getting frustrated. Thanks
#1 - February 20, 2011, 01:32:23 pm

richoso12

Hello, and welcome to the aZBBQ. What kind of smoker are you using, what are you trying to smoke? if we know the answer to some of these questions, we might be able to help you. It's all good my friend.
#2 - February 20, 2011, 03:34:15 pm
GOSM big block, Weber 22.5 in one touch, AMZN cold smoker. I Grow NM Heritage 6-4, NM Jalmundo, NM Vaquero, Poblano,Serrano Tampiqueno. Habaneros are Orange, Antilla, Bondo Ma Jacque, and Red Savina. I use mesquite, cherry, apple, alder, and red oak chunks.

Crash

Can you be more specific with the issues that you are having.
#3 - February 20, 2011, 11:04:11 pm
I love animals.  They're delicious!
VRM Pit Crew

AzQer

First off welcome Marie you have come to the right place Im sure we can have you making stuff you like in no time. Just let us know what you would like to do and maybe we can walk you through it. Dont give up the food is well worth it.
#4 - February 21, 2011, 06:15:05 am
Mark Smith
Southern Arizona BBQ Club Ambassador
MarkSmith@AZBarbeque.com

hungries8

Hey guys thanks for the reply. Well where to begin. I'm using a Great Outdoors / Smokey Mt. Series propane smoker. I've used a couple different recipes for rubs and they are either too spicy or salty and have varied the time the rub is on. The BBQ is usually dried out. I didn't trust the thermometer on the smoker so I dropped a internal one thru the top vent ant tried to manage temp that way and there seems to be a 20 degree difference. I tried to smoke ribs (beef and pork) chicken quarters, fish and a pork picnic. Got a big family reunion in mid April. Boy if I could smoke some good pulled pork I would be stoked.
#5 - February 24, 2011, 09:31:54 pm

Mark

I believe that is one of those nice, shiny box cookers they carried at Sam's Club.

It sounds like if you sparingly use a supermarket rub from Weber or McCormick seasonings just before smoking and foil your meat half way through the cooking process, you should be well on your way to getting juicy pulled pork. Just make it gets to an internal temp of 195 to 200 before pulling.
#6 - February 24, 2011, 09:42:54 pm
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

hungries8

I realize that there is no easy answer considering the nature of the beast. How long should the rub be on for. The smoker has 4 racks and approx. 3 1/2ft tall, where might the best position be in the smoker.
#7 - February 24, 2011, 09:49:14 pm

hungries8

Oh, and is a picnic pork ok?
#8 - February 24, 2011, 09:54:12 pm

Crash

Oh, and is a picnic pork ok?
It is ok, but a Boston Butt (bone-in) is better IMO.
#9 - February 24, 2011, 11:28:06 pm
VRM Pit Crew

Crash

Hey guys thanks for the reply. Well where to begin. I'm using a Great Outdoors / Smokey Mt. Series propane smoker. I've used a couple different recipes for rubs and they are either too spicy or salty and have varied the time the rub is on. The BBQ is usually dried out. I didn't trust the thermometer on the smoker so I dropped a internal one thru the top vent ant tried to manage temp that way and there seems to be a 20 degree difference. I tried to smoke ribs (beef and pork) chicken quarters, fish and a pork picnic. Got a big family reunion in mid April. Boy if I could smoke some good pulled pork I would be stoked.
Try using a commercial rub as you are starting out in your quest for great Que.  Go to BBQ Island and get yourself some Plowboys Yardbird for pork and CHX and some Butchers Premium BBQ rub and /or some Dizzy Pigs Dizzy Dust. These rubs are great baseline rubs to work off of as you make your own rubs.  

As for dried out meat, try foiling ribs, brisket and pork butts at some point during the cook.  A good guideline is to foil at: Ribs 3hrs (spares) 2hrs (BabyBacks), Brisket - once internal temp hits 165, Pork - once internal temp hits 165. Try brining your chicken to add moisture to it.  Kosmos makes a great product for brining CHX as well as for injecting beef brisket and pork shoulders.

I don't know where the temp gauge is on your smoker, but try to take your temp readings at grate level.  A Maverick ET 73 is a decent thermometer that will do the trick nicely. Your 20 degree difference could be due to the different levels at which your thermos are reading or it could be due to a bad thermo.

Also, learn about injecting briskets and pork butts. There are many great recipes on the internet and they will add moisture and flavor.

Lastly, I wouldn't recommend smoking fish with other meats. It tends to add a fishy taste to other meats.

Good luck.
#10 - February 24, 2011, 11:51:51 pm
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 11:56:13 pm by Crash »
VRM Pit Crew

PAT YOUNG

MARIE, to check your thermos, put them in boiling water and check temps- tucson is around 2389 ft. i think. At 2000 ft. it should read 208 degrees, at 3000 ft. it should read 206 degrees! So for tucson it should read approximately between 207-208 degrees! Hope this helps PAT :)
#11 - February 25, 2011, 02:01:43 am

azkitch

Welcome to the forum, Marie. That's a pile of great advice. I have 4 Taylor digital thermometers w/probes that work well for me. I've cut the cable cover on a couple of them, but that's from sticking them thru a drilled hole on my upright (ugly) drum smoker, (UDS). I happened by the Target at 43rd and Peoria, and the deluxe super duper shiny version is on clearance for $15--the folding display model which includes a timer that will count up or down. That's cheaper than the version without a timer. If I'd had $100, I'd have bought all they had! Check your local Target if $ is an issue. Use less wood, then increase if it wasn't enough.
#12 - February 28, 2011, 07:30:29 am
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

hungries8

Okay all you responders. I'm feeling more confident with all that info, Thanks a bunch and I'm gonna try another smoking session using a picnic pork since that is what I have in the freezer. also If I dont get enough drippings to add back to the pork after pulled, is there one that I can buy?
#13 - February 28, 2011, 12:53:51 pm

Crash

Okay all you responders. I'm feeling more confident with all that info, Thanks a bunch and I'm gonna try another smoking session using a picnic pork since that is what I have in the freezer. also If I dont get enough drippings to add back to the pork after pulled, is there one that I can buy?
Try Stubbs Pork Marinade.  Also, less smoke is more.  We use 3 fist sized chunks of wood..max.
#14 - February 28, 2011, 07:32:21 pm
VRM Pit Crew

Mark

You wouldn't want to put pork grease back into your meat anyhow. Moisten it with sauce or apple juice or a combination.
#15 - March 01, 2011, 09:45:38 am
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

Members: