AZ Barbeque.com

Helloooo from Idaho!

Discussion started on

altered states

My most excellent brother-in-law has a couple (at least two) 55 gallon drum smokers.  I've tasted the results several times.  He and my sister-in-law graciously volunteered to cook chicken and tri-tip for about 50 people at my daughter's college graduation party last week. 

Went out to say "G'bye" and "Thanks again" before they left for home Sunday morning.  Noticed there was only one drum in the bed of his truck.  I said, "Jim, you're short one barrel".  He says, "Not so - I'm leaving it for you."  What a great couple - those two are aces in my book. And so I inherited a drum smoker. 

Stopped off here to learn some techniques for this device.  I have already seen a couple of ideas that I may use to modify this unit.

I like to cook.  My wife and I have cooked competition chili in the past.  I also cook in Dutch ovens, both at home and in any hunting or fishing camp where I can wangle an invitation. That usually ain't too hard if you're volunteering to cook some delicious vittles.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

#1 - May 19, 2010, 04:13:28 pm

AzJohnnyC

Welcome. Hope you enjoy the site. Lots of drum users here, they're always helpful with tips. Any questions you have, don't hesitate to ask.
#2 - May 19, 2010, 04:17:10 pm
Whiskey Business BBQ
WWW.Facebook.com/whiskeybusinessbbq

Weber 22-1/2 Silver
Twin Pro Q Excel 20s
Lang 84 Deluxe

smitty250

Welcome Steve - enjoy the site.
#3 - May 19, 2010, 04:30:44 pm
Loot N' Booty BBQ
2014 American Royal Invitational Chicken Champion
2014 American Royal Open Reserve Grand Champion
2016 Jack Daniels Invitational World Pork Champion
2014, 2015 and 2016 AZ BBQ Team of the Year

azkitch

Fire in the bottom. Pork roast in the top. Not too much wood. Less than you think. One hole open in bottom. Wrap meat at 165ish. Remove when meat is between 195 and 205. It really is as complicated as it sounds!!  ;D

Glad you've joined us. And we can talk more about starting and maintaining fires--but it's that easy to cook a pork butt. After that, it's playing with rubs.
#4 - May 19, 2010, 04:41:19 pm
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Welcome Steve, great to have you here and Congrats on your Daughter's Graduation.  That is awesome.

We look forward to seeing you online here, we do have a lot of great discussions and incredible people, so jump on in and enjoy.

Hope to meet you soon out at some of our great events.

WELCOME!!

Mike
#5 - May 19, 2010, 05:33:11 pm
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

glenntm

Welcome Steve...
#6 - May 19, 2010, 06:00:44 pm

BrownBearBBQ

Welcome Steve and enjoy that drum smoker!!
#7 - May 20, 2010, 09:18:05 am
Diamond Plate Series 70 Modified
Southern Pride  300
Traeger
KCBS Judge #56038

Brown Bear BBQ Catering and Personal Chef

Providing the Best of "Smokin' Good Times"!!

jmcrig

Welcome aboard Steve, glad you found us. ;D
#8 - May 20, 2010, 04:33:40 pm

Crash

Welcome Steve.
#9 - May 20, 2010, 05:15:05 pm
I love animals.  They're delicious!
VRM Pit Crew

Members: