AZ Barbeque.com

Hello from Colorado

Discussion started on

coyoterick

Just joined the forum yesterday and thought I'd introduce myself.  I've been backyard smoking for 24 years now, mostly on propane-fired Coleman barrel-type smokers (I've been through a few of them, they burn/rust out eventually).  I also have a small Luhr-Jensen cold smoker too.  I'm going to retire in a couple years and am considering going on the comp circuit.  If I do, I'll be purchasing a trailer mounted smoker.  This year I plan on hitting all the comps I can in the Colorado/New Mexico/Arizona area just to get a feel for things, and also to look at all the various smokers that everyone is using before I decide on what I want to get.  I've also signed up for a comp cooking class that the Texas Rib Rangers  are holding in Denver in a few weeks.

Rick
#1 - February 28, 2007, 08:49:15 am

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Rick,

Welcome to the site, great to have you, I think you will see we have a bunch of great members, topics and events here on the site.  I do think you will really enjoy it.

We look forward to meeting you at an event this year, I know we have a few planned for later in the year.

That Comp cooking class will really be great, I know you will get a lot out of it.  There are always tips & tricks to learn. 

As for the Competition cooking, that is very addictive and once you get started, watch out... :D

Great to have you,

Mike
#2 - February 28, 2007, 09:01:47 am
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

ddog27

WELCOME RICK!!
#3 - February 28, 2007, 09:12:00 am
Darin "D-Dog" Hearn
Eastern Arizona BBQ Club Ambassador
DDog@AZBarbeque.com

D-dog's BBQ Rubs,
So good they're better than Ketchup!
http://ddogsbbq.com

http://www.myspace.com/ddogsbbq

Jaybird

Welcome Rick, I guess I'll be seein ya at Rio Rancho. Come by for a chat.
#4 - February 28, 2007, 11:11:32 am

coyoterick

Welcome Rick, I guess I'll be seein ya at Rio Rancho. Come by for a chat.

As a matter of fact I'll be at Rio Rancho Saturday morning.  I'll be traveling to Mesa, AZ and was planning on stopping at Rio Rancho for a while.  What's your team name so I can find ya?
Rick
#5 - February 28, 2007, 12:10:11 pm

Jaybird

'Otis and the Bird' from Mesa, Az
#6 - February 28, 2007, 01:10:21 pm

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Isn't that Ironic...  ;D 

You're from Mesa, he's coming to Mesa and you are going to meet in Rio Rancho....  There's got to be some humor in that somewhere...  ;D
#7 - February 28, 2007, 01:11:23 pm
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

Thom Emery

Rick The Rib Rangers do a great class
#8 - February 28, 2007, 06:11:50 pm
Catering, Competition Cooking and Community Service

www.bbqthom.com

What Wood Jesus Q

coyoterick

Rick The Rib Rangers do a great class
The class _was_ great - Barb and Bill did a good job.  I brought lots of BBQ home, as everyone was put into teams of 2 with each team cooking a whole brisket, pork butt, 4 chicken thighs, and a rack of ribs.  Learned about both comps and vending since they do a lot of each.

The main cooker used was a 3-door trailer-mounted Texas Longhorn that the brisket was cooked in, a box trailer mounted Fast Eddy's for the butts and a couple drum smokers that Bill brought with him for some of the other things like pork chops, fish, and potatoes for lunch.  One of the students who had done a few comps brought his Traeger that most of the chicken and ribs were put on.  I couldn't stand the smell of the smoke coming out of the pellet-burning Traeger - it was acrid, foul-smelling, just plain nasty!  Not sure what was going on there.  It was definitely enough to turn me off to those - but I know many people use them successfully.  It took quite a while for it to come up to temp so when it was time to go home we had to take the unfinished ribs and chicken home as-is and finish them up in the oven.

Great Class!

Rick
#9 - March 12, 2007, 07:15:42 pm

Thom Emery

sounds like something was wrong there
Maybe they used the same stuff Mike Waltrip did in Daytona to fire it up
#10 - March 13, 2007, 06:17:38 am

www.bbqthom.com

What Wood Jesus Q

Jaybird

Thom, that is one of the reasons I don't like the poopers. Every contest I'm at I can smell that nasty smell. Kim Walton never noticed it until I pointed it out to her at Lake Pleasant. Now she knows. Not sure if it's the type of pellets being used or what but it is nasty.
#11 - March 13, 2007, 07:53:33 am

Thom Emery

Well I am not sure what the smell your referring to is
 I took a shower last weekend
#12 - March 13, 2007, 04:26:29 pm

www.bbqthom.com

What Wood Jesus Q

BBQCZAR

Welcome aboard Rick,glad to see you here  ;D
#13 - March 13, 2007, 08:01:16 pm
www.thebbqbullies.com
www.azvideoelectronics.com

BBQ Bullies competition barbeque team

Members: