AZ Barbeque.com

Hello AZ. BBQ'ers I can really use your help!!!

Discussion started on

thefoxman

Hello and thanks for the awesome site! What a cool idea! First of all, I love BBQ, I do alot of traveling and love to check out places all over. I am a teacher and recently our school budget has been stripped to the bare bones. I am also the athletic director of my school and the kids are getting jipped with the budget cuts. I love BBQ and I love to teach so, my next thought was a natural one. Why not have a community building BBQ contest to raise money for our sports program!   :)  I was wondering if all you BBQ experts out there could help me understand how a BBQ contest works. Things like time limit, who can enter, what kind of categories, awards, judges. Any info would help. I am hoping to make this a major event with live music and activities for the family. I am just not educated in the ways of the ancient art of BBQ contests. Help me snatch the pebble from your hand! Thank you in advance, I look forward to discussing it with all of you
#1 - June 09, 2009, 06:19:42 pm

azkitch

I think you've come to the right place. Our fearless leader, head rib boiler, chief organizing occiffer, Mike Reimann, has organized one or two competitions in his day. Where are you, and how grand a spectacle would you like to produce? There are several variations of a one day cookoff, involving many types of dishes. Have you got a location to gather the troops?

Oh, adding on now--welcome to the forum! Mike and others arrange regular get-togethers one way or another, if you're somewhere near Phx. Metro.
#2 - June 09, 2009, 07:12:47 pm
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 07:19:43 pm by azkitch »
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

Crash

Welcome Mark.  I just replied to your email.

What kinds of things would we as BBQ Teams like to see/want/desire at a BBQ contest?  I am sure Mark will welcome any and all feedback.
#3 - June 09, 2009, 09:02:36 pm
I love animals.  They're delicious!
VRM Pit Crew

azkitch

Celebrity appearances? Hasselhoff? Frank Bonner? (WKRP...) Free Maker's Mark?

Jeez, I was going to put something serious, too, but I can't think of anything! Maybe door prizes, booby prizes, something organized for the kids?
#4 - June 09, 2009, 11:33:48 pm
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

bearbonez

Welcome aboard
#5 - June 12, 2009, 07:53:39 am
David "Bear" Nunley

azcolt45

To get the kids behind it, how about having the kids in shop class make a competition smoker as a class project and then compete in the event you are proposing. Boy, talk about a community builder!

Teach them to BBQ young and have a new generation of experts comming along!
#6 - June 13, 2009, 10:30:44 am
« Last Edit: June 13, 2009, 10:32:35 am by azcolt45 »
Trailer mounted Custom offset stick burner
XL BIG GREEN EGG
BIG Stainless Gasser
5' Square fire pit w/grates 
Commercial WOK
KCBS CBJ #53767

Beauty is in the eye of the "beer holder"

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Mark,

Welcome to the site, great to have you here.  Glad you found us.  Shoot me an e-mail at Michael@AZBarbeque.com and I can help you with any questions you may have about contests and events.

Where abouts are you located?

We look forward to seeing you online here as well as meeting you soon out at some of our great events.

WELCOME!!
#7 - June 14, 2009, 05:01:44 pm
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

ddog27

WELCOME!!
#8 - June 15, 2009, 06:32:33 am
Darin "D-Dog" Hearn
Eastern Arizona BBQ Club Ambassador
DDog@AZBarbeque.com

D-dog's BBQ Rubs,
So good they're better than Ketchup!
http://ddogsbbq.com

http://www.myspace.com/ddogsbbq

toys4dlr

Welcome aboard