AZ Barbeque.com

hello all

Discussion started on

fatkid bbq

I am planning on smoking my first pig butt and have done some research on the internet about injecting or not so any help would be much appreciated
----char-griller offset smoker
Thanks
#1 - January 27, 2014, 05:40:38 pm

Mark

Some do it. Some don't. I don't. I don't know if that makes me old school, lazy or a cross of the two. ;) I do squirt mustard on the butt before applying the rub. It helps it stick. Then just toss it in, keep your temp steady and try not to look at it too much. They used to say that every time you opened your cooker, you are adding on 15 more minutes need of cooking time.
#2 - January 27, 2014, 08:14:35 pm
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

Wood Chuck

Welcome, I inject but I've had pork that wasn't injected and really couldn't tell the difference.  A good rub and sauce really enhances the flavor of the pork and like Mark stated fight the urge to peak. If you need something to do while Qing, have a beer.  Good luck.
#3 - January 28, 2014, 06:10:44 am

Mike P in Tucson

I do as Mark does.  I also put a thermometer in the meat to monitor temperature.  When it gets to 160. I either wrap it or put it into a foil pan and cover it with foil, with a little apple juice added.  Then when it gets to 195, I check to see if it is really done (bone pulls out easily).  Sometimes, it isn't really done until 200 or 205, if you have been smoking it at a higher temperature.
#4 - January 28, 2014, 09:50:22 am
all time series records with asu (as of 12/1/2012)

football: 47-38-1 arizona
basketball: 142-80 arizona
baseball: 237-203-1 arizona

Crash

Welcome Jeff.  You've already gotten some great info.

Injecting is definitely a preference thing.  For us, we always inject.....always. 

Our injection is a mix of peach juice, Frank's Red Hot, salt, sugar, Worcestershire, AC vinegar, a bit of rub and a few other things.

We don't temp before foiling any longer, we just kind of know when the bark has the right color.  We then DOUBLE wrap in HD foil, adding some liquid (peach juice and BBQ sauce).  Personally, if you're a wrapper, I believe it is very important to double wrap in HD foil.  If that foil breaks, all of your moisture is leaking right out...and if the foil is going to break, it will ALWAYS break on the bottom.

Best of luck.  Keep us posted on your results please.
#5 - January 29, 2014, 03:34:40 am
I love animals.  They're delicious!
VRM Pit Crew

Members: