AZ Barbeque.com

Hello all!

Discussion started on

Rib-It

We are Mark & Beth Lenz with Rib-It!  We live in Florence, Colorado and are proud members of the RMBBQA.  We are starting our 3rd year of competition, but started as organizers of the Canon City contest ('04 & '05). 

We cook on 2 WSMs, 1 Kamado, and an OLD, heavy Oklahoma Joe-(when we drag it out!). 

Nice to meet everyone!
#1 - March 24, 2009, 05:55:42 pm

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Welcome again Mark & Beth, great to have you here, glad you found us.

We have a great group of BBQ enthusists here and are one big family.  Hope you enjoy the site and all it has to offer, we look forward to hearing about your BBQing experiences and seeing pictures from your events.

Post some information on your events and hopefully we can get a few AZ teams to make the trip up to them.  We do love road trips.

WELCOME!!

Mike
#2 - March 24, 2009, 06:05:55 pm
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

Rib-It

Heck, you sure?  I (Beth) serve on the RMBBQA Board and we have 14 Cup contests this year!  We also started a "Shot Glass Division"; teams can qualify by competing in only 2-5 Cup contests- ;) 

First Cup contest is Rio Rancho, the next one is May 8/9 in Lamar, CO.  The next close event for AZ teams would be Durango, CO on July 3/4! 

If you are looking for a great "team friendly" event, the Holy Smoke BBQ in Canon City is a blast!  You get to cook on the grounds of an Abbey....on grass, and each team is assigned a "Monk"; a personal assistant!

#3 - March 24, 2009, 06:18:41 pm
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 06:21:51 pm by Rib-It »

azkitch

Bet that's fun when it rains! Thanks for joining our merry little group. If you've got a free weekend, come on down sometime. Now thru May, or late September thru November it's springtime here. Aim for the Pulte event in November, to get a break from the snow that falls in October :D
Dave, aka azkitch.
#4 - March 25, 2009, 12:49:22 am
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

KidCurry

Welcome!!

Rib-it!  Thats a great name I love it.
#5 - March 25, 2009, 08:15:36 am
KidCurry@AZBarbeque.com
KCBS CBJ
Mike boils his ribs....pass it on.

Rib-It

Thanks for the warm welcome!  We have Pulte on the radar...it sure would be nice to go south for the winter! 

Oh...rain in June would be a relief!  We have never had issues with our June contests; of course, now it will pour! 

When we first started, we had decided on "Sidekicks BBQ" in honor of our contest-(every team had a sidekick volunteer), but when it became the Holy Smoke BBQ and the sidekicks became monks, it didn't make sense anymore!  So, Mark-(my better? half) came up with Rib-It and the frog thing started taking shape.  I have to give credit to Patrick (bbqlogos) for our logo, though!  I think he enjoyed getting to draw something eating a pig!

#6 - March 25, 2009, 10:21:29 am

VisionQuest220

Hi Beth,

We'll be at Rio Rancho this weekend and we've already registered for the Durango contest.  I'm sure we'll see you at one, the other or both.

Not sure if we'll make it to any other Colorado events this year but if we do make one more it will probably be the Pork & Hops in Grand Junction.

Welcome to the site!
#7 - March 25, 2009, 03:59:34 pm
http://www.rhythmnque.com
The All-WSM Championship Barbeque Team
2008 & 2009 CBBQA Team of the Year

Rib-It

Thanks!  Unfortunately, we can't make Durango-(mother-in-law's 80th birthday!), but we will be in Rio Rancho and Grand Junction. 

Good luck in Rio Rancho and have a very safe trip! 
#8 - March 25, 2009, 04:10:23 pm

VisionQuest220

Hey, can you tell me about the "Shot Glass" competition?  I've read a little but would like the official low down on it.  I assume you have to be a RMBBQA member to participate.  Would I be able to bring the application and a check and give it to you at Rio Rancho?

So many questions!
#9 - March 25, 2009, 07:04:21 pm

AzQer

Welcome to ya Beth glad to see ya south of the border. Pull up a log and enjoy our little neck of the woods
#10 - March 25, 2009, 07:07:04 pm
Mark Smith
Southern Arizona BBQ Club Ambassador
MarkSmith@AZBarbeque.com

Rib-It

Well, it just so happens that I am printing up some stuff for the Shot Glass Division right now!  That makes it easy on me, I will just copy and paste! 

"1. The Cup Contests are:  Rio Rancho, Lamar, Pueblo, Canon City, Frisco, Durango, Loveland, Laramie, Worland, Dillon, Grand Junction, Fountain, Florence, and Eagle.  There is a total of 14 contests in the Cup!  

2. The board understands that competing in eight contests to be in the running for the Cup is not feasible for a large number of teams, especially given these economic times.  Therefore, in 2009, a team only has to compete in 5 contests.  However, if you compete in more contests, you have the benefit of being able to "toss out" low scores. 

3. In 2009, there will be two (2) WILD CARD contests.  These contests will be computer drawn by a third party at the conclusion of the season.  If you have competed in these contests, your score will be multiplied by 1.25%.  This is another incentive to get teams at every contest. 

4. In 2009, we will have a "RMBBQA Shot Glass Division" in recognition of the teams that are unable, whether financially or because of time constraints cannot compete in 5 contests.  Any team competing in at least two contests, but less than five, will be in this division.  The winner of this division will receive $200. 

5. In 2009, the winner of the "RMBBQA Cup" will win $1,000, and each winner in the four categories will each win $200."

We will have information in Rio Rancho; I believe we are going to consolodate it at Don's (Lizzie Q)!  They near the beer garden!  If not, I will have the info too!  We are in space 25-we THINK!  You know Art, bless his heart, we could be up on the hill!.  **My grandma always told me that if you say "bless his heart" it doesn't sound mean!

Beth

#11 - March 25, 2009, 07:44:33 pm

VisionQuest220

Thanks.

I'll bring an application with me and find you guys sometime on Friday.  We're supposed to be in Space 54...hopefully!
#12 - March 25, 2009, 08:43:51 pm

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Thanks.

I'll bring an application with me and find you guys sometime on Friday.  We're supposed to be in Space 54...hopefully!

Makes sense, Car 54 in Space 54...  ;D
#13 - March 25, 2009, 08:59:02 pm
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

azkitch

Which one's Muldoon?
#14 - March 26, 2009, 09:36:07 am
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

Crash

Welcome Mark and Beth.  Major props to you guys for that great showing in Rio.  Congrats!!
#15 - March 29, 2009, 09:08:29 pm
I love animals.  They're delicious!
VRM Pit Crew

Members: