AZ Barbeque.com

Hello

Discussion started on

barns.yard

Been in the Greater Phx area for 10+ years, moved here when i was in High School, from Washington St.

I'm a teacher by day and a griller/smoker (the cooking kind of smoking, obviously) by night(and the weekends). I've always loved to cook, been grilling since hs and college days. I'm an amateur in all the sense of being an amateur foodie, and amateur chef.

I love replicating what i see, and/or what I like. If I can make it on a grill, i probably will, or have tried already. I have an intense obsession for weber.

I use only hardwood lump charcoal(no briquettes) never lighter fluid.

I grill AND smoke on a weber kettle, i've figured out how to keep a low and slow at 225 for 12 hours (no fuel replenishment) on my weber.. pretty proud moment. Haha. I'd love to invest one day and get an offset smoker.

Would love to work as a pitmaster, butcher, in a salumeria, and/or smokehouse, mostly to learn the tricks of the trade, but also cause I love to do it.

#1 - February 12, 2015, 02:23:49 pm

Mark

Glad to have you here, Barnabas. Sound like you have a good setup working well for you. I believe you can get a center section for a Weber Kettle than can greatly increase your capacity, should you need it.
#2 - February 12, 2015, 03:41:53 pm
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

Brett

Hello,

I just smoked on my Weber Kettle yesterday, since I was having some trouble with my smoke box on my offset. I must say it was very tricky but the pulled pork was amazing! I was quite surprised actually  ;D Some things I did have trouble with that maybe you could offer some advice is; keeping the temp around 225 was very hard, and I had wrap the pork shoulder about 5 hours in because I was getting a little worried. All in all I was very pleased with the Kettle after some Google searches I found there is groups devoted to the Weber Kettle with some very helpful info about mods.

Brett
#3 - May 03, 2015, 11:22:14 am

barns.yard

Hello,

I just smoked on my Weber Kettle yesterday, since I was having some trouble with my smoke box on my offset. I must say it was very tricky but the pulled pork was amazing! I was quite surprised actually  ;D Some things I did have trouble with that maybe you could offer some advice is; keeping the temp around 225 was very hard, and I had wrap the pork shoulder about 5 hours in because I was getting a little worried. All in all I was very pleased with the Kettle after some Google searches I found there is groups devoted to the Weber Kettle with some very helpful info about mods.

Brett

Hey brett,

What i do to keep my weber in the 210-230 zone, is prior to doing anything I marked with a sharpie where the arm for the "one touch cleaning system" is at full open and at 50% open. This way I know how much air I am letting in. I marked it at 25 50 75 and 100% open.

Depending on the day, the temperature, the humidity...etc. will alter how much I open the vents. You might just need to light a fire and play with it.

I find that leaving it at 50% with the snake/minion method coal set up is a solid way to go to maintain the right temperature. (remember the temp on the lid is hotter than whats on the grate).

I could ramble on, but I don't want to take away from the experience of learning. I also bought a vortex so that helps conserve coals and keep me at my ideal heat longer.
#4 - May 30, 2015, 04:03:42 pm

bcarpenter1252

Smoking for 12 hours on a kettle!  Pretty impressive!
#5 - June 09, 2015, 10:43:19 pm

Brett

I never thought of marking "open and close" on the bottom of the kettle- duh!

Thank you!
#6 - July 25, 2015, 11:45:39 am

Members: