AZ Barbeque.com

Hello! from Buckeye & happy to be here!

Discussion started on

jhawkbbq

Hello!  Name's Jeff & have lived in Buckeye for nearly 4 years via Kansas City.  Took up smoking a few years back cause I couldn't find anywhere to eat bbq here in the valley!  .....(until recently - found Appetite's BBQ) but have continued smoking since & have naturally become an addict.  A few neighborhood buddy's & I have been getting together every so often to smoke & continue to attempt @ elevating our game.  Love it!  Anyhow, finally chiming into the site in hopes of picking up as many tips as possible & to get to know some fellow smokers.  A few of us have decided to give our 1st competition a try & are signing up for the Sun City BBQ - excited as heck!
#1 - September 14, 2009, 10:57:28 am
Jeff Caler

Jaybird

Welcome to the addiction Jeff. Look forward to seein ya in November.
#2 - September 14, 2009, 10:59:57 am

AzJohnnyC

Welcome! Just did my first competition in Prescott. If it's any indication of future events, I'll be doing them often. Glad to have you.
#3 - September 14, 2009, 11:08:06 am
Whiskey Business BBQ
WWW.Facebook.com/whiskeybusinessbbq

Weber 22-1/2 Silver
Twin Pro Q Excel 20s
Lang 84 Deluxe

KidCurry

Welcome! 
#4 - September 14, 2009, 11:09:15 am
KidCurry@AZBarbeque.com
KCBS CBJ
Mike boils his ribs....pass it on.

Mrs. McFrankenboo

Welcome to our crazy club!!  Glad you're not afraid to jump right in for the Pulte event...we did it a few years ago and haven't looked back since.  It's a great group of people that you can have a lot of fun with...just don't believe all the photos!!  ;)  Look forward to meeting you at Pulte, if not before.
#5 - September 14, 2009, 11:15:10 am

AZSmoke

Welcome from a newbie in Buckeye as well.
#6 - September 14, 2009, 11:21:03 am

jhawkbbq

the neighborhood fellas & i smoked for kick off sunday - here's a pic from my phone.....

[attachment deleted by admin]
#7 - September 14, 2009, 11:27:36 am
Jeff Caler

smitty250

Welcome Jeff. Like Johnny we just did our first comp. this past weekend in Prescott. It is a great time and you will meet alot of great people. Feel free to ask questions - we are here to help. Just don't ask me about pork butt or brisket because apparently what I and my team thought was delicious was something else in the judges eyes. :)
#8 - September 14, 2009, 11:30:00 am
Loot N' Booty BBQ
2014 American Royal Invitational Chicken Champion
2014 American Royal Open Reserve Grand Champion
2016 Jack Daniels Invitational World Pork Champion
2014, 2015 and 2016 AZ BBQ Team of the Year

jhawkbbq

Hey Sterling - this is incredible; the amount of feedback & how engaged everyone is on this site - can hardly work over here!  Anyhow, as far as questions..... right off the bat w/ the judges... (& sorry to hear your evaluations..) but what are the main things the judges are basing their scores from?

Thanks & appreciate all the warm welcomes!

Jeff
#9 - September 14, 2009, 11:43:02 am
Jeff Caler

smitty250

Hey Sterling - this is incredible; the amount of feedback & how engaged everyone is on this site - can hardly work over here!  Anyhow, as far as questions..... right off the bat w/ the judges... (& sorry to hear your evaluations..) but what are the main things the judges are basing their scores from?

Thanks & appreciate all the warm welcomes!

Jeff

From my limited knowledge - Taste, Texture, and Appearance. (Taste is more heavily weighted in terms of points then texture and appearance last). There is a KCBS judging class November 12th before the Sun City / Pulte event. I am thinking about taking it so I can gain some insight on what they are looking for. There is a registration form under the upcoming events link - then go to 2009 Pulte event. Hopefully this helps.

-Smitty
#10 - September 14, 2009, 11:50:24 am
Loot N' Booty BBQ
2014 American Royal Invitational Chicken Champion
2014 American Royal Open Reserve Grand Champion
2016 Jack Daniels Invitational World Pork Champion
2014, 2015 and 2016 AZ BBQ Team of the Year

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Welcome once again Jeff, great to have you onboard here.  We certainly look forward to seeing you and your team out at the Sun City event, it's going to be incredible.

I HIGHLY Recommend the CBJ Class before that event.  Not only will you then be a certified BBQ Judge, but you will also know what they are looking for and I think it's a MUST take for any competition cook.

Jump on in and enjoy the site/club, we certainly look forward to seeing your posts.

WELCOME!!!
#11 - September 14, 2009, 12:13:41 pm
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

jhawkbbq

will do!

thanks Mike!
#12 - September 14, 2009, 02:25:29 pm
Jeff Caler

RobOConnell

Howdy Jeff, welcome to the forum.
#13 - September 14, 2009, 02:33:20 pm
UDS (love it most)
Pro Q
Brinkmans Smoke n Grill (now belongs to my daughter)

AzQer

Jeff welcome to the club nice grub keep it coming
#14 - September 14, 2009, 03:24:45 pm
Mark Smith
Southern Arizona BBQ Club Ambassador
MarkSmith@AZBarbeque.com

DirtPig

Well there goes the neighborhood.

Good to see you finally made it on here JC.

#15 - September 15, 2009, 08:34:00 am

Members: