AZ Barbeque.com

Hello!

Discussion started on

bcarpenter1252

Hello Everyone!
I am a 33 year old food enthusiast.  I love barbecuing, grilling, and cooking in general.  
I have three different rigs in my backyard.  I have a classic Weber kettle, (my very first grill that I have owned  since I turned 18 and left the house for the Navy), a Weber Genesis Silver that I recently picked up for free and replaced all internal parts, and a Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5" water smoker.  
Look forward to talking more about cooking!
Brian
#1 - June 09, 2015, 10:41:33 pm

bcarpenter1252

Just wanted to a little bit more.
I mostly smoke ribs, and a get involved in some friendly neighborhood competitions from time to time.  (Just for bragging rights)

Here are some of my more favorite thing that I have tried:
-Baby-back Ribs with a wet Caribbean jerk rub and a dark rum sauces
-Smoked Pork BBQ Tacos with a southwest slaw
-Santa Maria style Tri-Tip with smoked Artichoke Hearts and with spicy southwest dipping sauce. 

This week my brother has asked me to make some kind of pulled pork in a Hawaiian theme for a party he is throwing at his house.  Not sure how I am doing that yet but open to suggestion.  I see there are a lot of opinions out there that if you want to make it authentic, you should just salt it and wrap it in banana leaves but that sounds to simple.  Might inject it with something. 

#2 - June 09, 2015, 10:53:24 pm

Mark

You can buy frozen banana leaves at some Asian and Hispanic markets. I've even seen them at 99 Cents Only stores. Hawaiian kiawe wood is a kind of mesquite, so you might want to consider mesquite lump for your fuel.

You can find pink Hawaiian salt at various places, including WinCo. Pineapple grills nicely, too. Fry's has 'em for 87 cents each this week.
#3 - June 10, 2015, 09:36:27 am
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

bcarpenter1252

Thanks for the advice! 
I found an Asian Market and found banana leaves, Hawaiian salt, and even some Hawaiian barbecue sauce (it tastes like regular barbecue sauce to me). 
Do you think that  I should wrap the pork up right away or wait until it gets a good penetration of smoke first?
#4 - June 11, 2015, 09:22:30 pm

Members: