AZ Barbeque.com

FNG From California

Discussion started on

BruceBenjamin

Heya.  I came across this forum when I was researching the ProQ Excel 20.  I started reading and it looks like a pretty decent group with a lot of knowledge. 

I'm a 45 year old married father of an 11 year old son and a 14 year old daughter.  I've been cooking for about 27 years or so and I was a professional chef for about 10 years.  I cooked in some pretty nice restaurants but the long hours for low pay made me eventually leave the business.  Now I just cook for fun...And so I don't starve to death.

I know this is an Az. forum but I'm from the far northern part of California, way up in Redding.  Please don't associate me with anything south of hear.  I don't like it either.  Hopefully I won't be considered too much of an outsider since I'm hear for the BBQ and that's what this forum is about, right?

I consider myself an expert with many types of food but BBQ/Smoked foods aren't one of them.  I've had a Big Chief top loading electric smoker for about 20 years and it's seen a lot of use.  But while it will smoke like crazy it doesn't get hot enough to fully cook anything other than a large salmon fillet or jerky.  It's also too hot for cold smoking.  After smoking in the Big Chief I then have to finish it some other way.  For a while now I've been using a counter top electric roasting oven with multiple racks in it.  I then finish up on my 15 year old Weber gas grill with my own sauce to glaze the ribs.  Obviously my method isn't for the BBQ purist but it does produce some really delicious smoked meats.  I've had quite a few people tell me that  it's the best BBQ they've ever eaten...But I realize that some people are just  ignorant.  That being said, I've eaten a lot of Q in my days and I've only had one or two that I liked better than mine.  Or at least I' give that distinction to my spare ribs and chicken.  The pork butt but is really good but not great.  I haven't cooked a lot of brisket but what I have done has been good but left room for improvement.  Bottom line...I'm hear to learn how to do it right.

Regarding the age old debate of whether or not  to put sauce on  ribs, I do it because I like it that way.  I've heard the argument that, "Good BBQ doesn't need sauce".  Well, if that's true then  what about  the flavorful mops that some people use?  Or why bother to put on the elaborate rubs?  Doesn't the smokey meat have enough flavor for you?  Or...Why  put all of those condiments  on a good hot dog or hamburger?  Don't you want to taste the flavor of the meat?   I'm a believer that if a person thinks it tastes good then that's how they should make it.  I'm all about the flavor and I'm not necessarily too hung up on how you get there.  That being said, there are only so many ways to make meat smokey, tender and juicy and I'm here to try to learn the best way.

I just bought  a triple stacker ProQ Excel 20 smoker from a guy on Ebay.  I got a good deal at $240 shipped.  He shipped it from Arizona yesterday so we'll see it when it gets here.  I've learned a bit about the Excel 20 already by reading this forum and the ProQ forum.  It looks like I made a good decision and I'm looking forward to producing some good  BBQ in the near future.  I know there will be a learning curve but hopefully it won't be too steep.

I'm trying to figure out what type of fuel to use right now.  I read the Lump Charcoal Review over on the BGE forum and I've been reading the Fuel Forum on this site.  Lots of interesting info to digest.  But so far I still haven't figured out whether to start out with lump or briquettes.  I do have a couple of older charcoal grills, a tiny Weber Kettle and a POS Sunbeam something-or-other.  Both were free when my neighbor moved and I've used them a few times with mixed results.  They came with a chimney starter and I've used both lump and briquettes.  I dunno,.  Neither worked all that well and the results from those grills don't apply to a bullet smoker anyway. 

So, that's who I am and that's some of what I know.  I'm looking forward to learning more from you guys and thanks for having me.

Bruce

#1 - September 11, 2009, 11:40:55 am

toys4dlr

Welcome Bruce,

My in laws have a place in Trinty Center and I grew up in San Jose.  So I had to go through Redding to get there often and you have the only Costco way up north.  I wonder if Crash here was the one that sold you the Pro Q. 

Look at some of the post in the Pro Q area to see how to work that thing.  I like Lump, but the WSM's and pro  Q seems to like Briqs better, so I guess the choice is up to you. 

Good to have you aboard.

David
#2 - September 11, 2009, 12:23:02 pm
Toys 4 BBQ'N
Competition BBQ Team - Anthem, Arizona

Comfort is King with our team

Q-TO-U-BBQ, Anthem AZ
North Valley Magazine's Reader's Choice Best BBQ for 2010 and 2011

BBQCZAR

Welcome Bruce glad to see you on the forum,there are a great bunch of guys and gals here and lots of fun and information :)
#3 - September 11, 2009, 02:18:36 pm
www.thebbqbullies.com
www.azvideoelectronics.com

BBQ Bullies competition barbeque team

azkitch

Glad you joined the forum, BB. We don't care where you live, so much. We've got lots of friends in SoCal, and quite a few of us used to live there...Van Nuys...so we understand the crazies.
Off to the Prescott Q for me now...
Welcome, and we know you'll like it.
#4 - September 11, 2009, 05:21:26 pm
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

azcolt45

Welcome Bruce

Colt
#5 - September 11, 2009, 06:56:11 pm
Trailer mounted Custom offset stick burner
XL BIG GREEN EGG
BIG Stainless Gasser
5' Square fire pit w/grates 
Commercial WOK
KCBS CBJ #53767

Beauty is in the eye of the "beer holder"

BruceBenjamin

Welcome Bruce,

My in laws have a place in Trinty Center and I grew up in San Jose.  So I had to go through Redding to get there often and you have the only Costco way up north.  I wonder if Crash here was the one that sold you the Pro Q. 

Look at some of the post in the Pro Q area to see how to work that thing.  I like Lump, but the WSM's and pro  Q seems to like Briqs better, so I guess the choice is up to you. 

Good to have you aboard.

David

Hi David.  I lived in San Jose in the late 80's.  I don't miss the big city at all.  Trinity Center is pretty close to Redding.   It's beautiful there.  Lots of great hunting and fishing in that area.   I guess Redding is the, "Big City" compared to Trinity Center.  And some people think that Costco is Redding's greatest cultural attraction.  ;)  I can't argue with them on that one.

I would've liked to have bought the ProQ from Crash but I missed him by about 20 minutes.  The Ebay seller, (Don) is from Tempe, Az. and he spent a bit of time answering some of my questions over a few days.  He even made me a special auction for the triple stacker that didn't include his, "Accessory package".  He was planing on going on vacation for a couple of weeks today and I wanted to order ASAP so he could get it shipped out before he left.  I didn't get in contact with Crash until about 20 minutes after I placed my order.  As it was I would've only saved about $15, give or take, by ordering from Crash and that wasn't enough to screw over they Ebay guy.  I do wish I had found out about the AZ forum and Crash's great deal before I found the deal on Ebay though.  But this guy, Don, seems like a pretty nice guy too so it's all good.

Bruce

#6 - September 11, 2009, 10:13:55 pm

toys4dlr

Hello Bruce,

Yep, TC is a real nice place, but it is a little small for me, but the fishing is great.  Love the small mouth bass out there. 

I am sure Crash would have set you up, but i am sure you will be happy with the Pro Q.

Funny, I moved from San Jose about 4 years, found this place and fun but I found the guys from Cali that are into BBQ.  Then I lost my mind and began to compete.  It is a lot of fun. 
#7 - September 11, 2009, 10:48:27 pm
Toys 4 BBQ'N

Q-TO-U-BBQ, Anthem AZ

skou

Bruce, welcome here!

I also spent quite a few years in real (northern) California, in Sunnyvale.  Basically, I grew up there, as my father was in the semiconductor industry.  Was there from '67 to the mid 80's.  Family moved back to where I was born, here in Mesa, while I was in the Army.  So, I re-settled here.

Let us know what you think of the Excel, since it is on my wish list.  I've already PMed Crash about one.

steve
#8 - September 12, 2009, 03:20:55 pm
Currently cooking with a newly built UDS,(thanks to Skouson, my brother) which is my current best smoker.  I've also got a Weber Performer, also from Sterling.  My brothers think I'm CRAZY.  (Strangely, they're right.)

RobOConnell

Howdy Bruce, Welcome to the forum. There are alot of members here with something to share. Jump in anytime you have a question or just want to shoot the.... ah... have fun. Theres alot of that here too.
#9 - September 12, 2009, 04:52:28 pm
UDS (love it most)
Pro Q
Brinkmans Smoke n Grill (now belongs to my daughter)

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Hello Bruce, welcome to the site/club, great to have you onboard here.  Looking forward to seeing your posts and hopefully getting a chance to meet you someday out at some of our great events.

Enjoy the site and all it has to offer, we have some great members and some really fun discussions.

WELCOME!!!
#10 - September 12, 2009, 08:58:17 pm
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

AzQer

Welcome Bruce,
We dont care where you come from here just glad you found us and hope you enjoy. Lots of BBQ Knowledge here for sure
#11 - September 14, 2009, 03:03:51 pm
Mark Smith
Southern Arizona BBQ Club Ambassador
MarkSmith@AZBarbeque.com

force

HOO Ah
#12 - September 22, 2009, 09:49:36 pm
Huge Fan of Mike (AZBarbeque)... He's My Hero..

ddog27

WELCOME Bruce!
#13 - October 07, 2009, 06:59:41 am
Darin "D-Dog" Hearn
Eastern Arizona BBQ Club Ambassador
DDog@AZBarbeque.com

D-dog's BBQ Rubs,
So good they're better than Ketchup!
http://ddogsbbq.com

http://www.myspace.com/ddogsbbq

KidCurry

I do hope we see Bruce again...he seemed to have a lot of energy right out of the gate.
#14 - October 07, 2009, 09:01:33 am
KidCurry@AZBarbeque.com
KCBS CBJ
Mike boils his ribs....pass it on.

toys4dlr

I hope he got that pro q dialed in, too.
#15 - October 07, 2009, 09:29:13 am
Toys 4 BBQ'N

Q-TO-U-BBQ, Anthem AZ

Members: