AZ Barbeque.com

Another new guy

Discussion started on

hhanna85

Hi everyone;  I'm Howard from Coolidge. Been lurking for a while and finally took the plunge. Seems like a nice group here.
 I bought a slightly used Pro Q Excel 20 3 stacker. Never used a smoker before and not much of a cook. Hope to learn from you guys. I can use all the advise I can get. Tried some country style ribs the over the weekend but did not turn out to well. Will try some bb ribs this week.
#1 - April 12, 2010, 11:51:49 am

Gizzy's Smokin Crew

Welcome Howard. Glad to meet you. If you want to learn about BBQ then this is the site for you
Great bunch of folks here
Enjoy!!!!!
#2 - April 12, 2010, 11:54:52 am
Gizzy's Q'N Crew......"FANG" Tastic BBQ
Brinkman Pitmaster Deluxe
Weber Genesis Gas Grill

KidCurry

Welcome!!!
#3 - April 12, 2010, 12:30:41 pm
KidCurry@AZBarbeque.com
KCBS CBJ
Mike boils his ribs....pass it on.

Crash

Great to have you here.  Welcome.
#4 - April 12, 2010, 12:33:22 pm
I love animals.  They're delicious!
VRM Pit Crew

Mark

Hello, Howard. It's great to have new members representing all parts of the Grand Canyon State. 8)
#5 - April 12, 2010, 01:10:00 pm
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

smitty250

Welcome Howard. You might want to check out the Pro Q or WSM Threads for some BBQ Advice. The Pro Q's are similar to the WSM's and function pretty much the same. What went wrong?
#6 - April 12, 2010, 01:23:41 pm
Loot N' Booty BBQ
2014 American Royal Invitational Chicken Champion
2014 American Royal Open Reserve Grand Champion
2016 Jack Daniels Invitational World Pork Champion
2014, 2015 and 2016 AZ BBQ Team of the Year

hhanna85

Hi Smitty250.
Thanks for the welcome.
The meat had no flavor and was dry. I had problems with temp control from the start. This isn't as easy as I thought it would be.
Howard
#7 - April 12, 2010, 01:44:45 pm

smitty250

Hi Smitty250.
Thanks for the welcome.
The meat had no flavor and was dry. I had problems with temp control from the start. This isn't as easy as I thought it would be.
Howard

Definitely check out the Pro Q thread. There is alot of advice on maintaining temp, proper starting techniques, what type of charcoal to use, etc. After you do that check out the recipes thread for some good rub recipes. If I were you I wouldn't waste those Baby Backs. Freeze the BB's and play around with some cheap spares until you get the hang of it. I have had some really good practice rounds using cheap spares. Good luck and keep us informed on how it's going!
#8 - April 12, 2010, 02:08:18 pm
Loot N' Booty BBQ
2014 American Royal Invitational Chicken Champion
2014 American Royal Open Reserve Grand Champion
2016 Jack Daniels Invitational World Pork Champion
2014, 2015 and 2016 AZ BBQ Team of the Year

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Welcome Howard, great to have you here.  Glad you found us.

We do have a great group of BBQers on here and lots of great topics.

Look forward to seeing you online posting your BBQing exploits on here, just don't forget pictures, we LOVE pictures.

Hope to meet you soon as well out at some of our great upcoming events.

WELCOME!!

Mike
#9 - April 12, 2010, 04:16:11 pm
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

azkitch

My recommendations; First, go to Target and buy two or more of the Taylor digital thermometers with the probe on a wire. The plain thermometer is $15--give or take one--and the silvery pretty one with the folding display is $21, and has a timer...If you set the timer, when it goes off, it resets to the time you had set--ie if you are boiling eggs for 6 minutes, and doing 2 batches, when timer goes off after 6 m, when you hit the button to shut it up, it goes to 6 min., ready to rock again. If, on the other hand, you want to know how long something's been cooking, start at 0, hit the start button, and it counts up. Great for timing ribs or butts, so you know when to start checking.
Stick the probe thru a small 'tater or a chunk of wood, put it on the grate to keep track of the temps in your smoker. Those particular themos are cheap, and I've had good luck with 3 of 'em. They'll read to 392, so you can watch temps up to that. Get one for the grill, one or more for meats. Plus they have an alarm for certain temps. Set the grate one for 260 or so, the pork butt one for 160 to know when to wrap...etcetera.

Now that I've said all that--welcome to the forum! Glad to have you aboard!!
#10 - April 12, 2010, 06:12:37 pm
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

jmcrig

Welcome aboard Howard. Glad you found us. I believe Crash is the resident Pro Q expert. ;D
#11 - April 12, 2010, 06:50:01 pm

glenntm

Welcome Howard.  Hope you enjoy the site...
#12 - April 13, 2010, 08:27:13 am

hhanna85

Thanks everybody for the warm welcome and the advise. I hope to meet all of you someday.
Cheers. Howard
#13 - April 13, 2010, 10:12:40 am

ddog27

Welcome Howard! Make sure you take lots of pictures of your smoking adventures! We all love pictures!
#14 - April 13, 2010, 11:14:10 am
Darin "D-Dog" Hearn
Eastern Arizona BBQ Club Ambassador
DDog@AZBarbeque.com

D-dog's BBQ Rubs,
So good they're better than Ketchup!
http://ddogsbbq.com

http://www.myspace.com/ddogsbbq

AzQer

Welcome Howard, Glad you fould our piece of the internet, Pull up a log and enjoy
#15 - April 14, 2010, 07:13:00 am
Mark Smith
Southern Arizona BBQ Club Ambassador
MarkSmith@AZBarbeque.com

Members: