AZ Barbeque.com

Another BBQ Newbie

Discussion started on

bonkhead

Hi:
Juist wanted to drop in to say hello to all you barbeque lovers out there.  I am living in Tucson after having moved from San Diego.  I have been a bbq nut all my adult life, and my wife and I thought it would be fun to travel the competition circuit.  I am retiring this year and hope to do just that. 

In the meantime, I am going to be building my own barbeque in my back yard and was wondering if I could maybe get some tips on what equipment I should be considering for the built in components.  Any info would be appreciated.

Looking forward to the upcoming JW Marriot function at the end of October. 
#1 - October 12, 2010, 08:54:17 am

glenntm

Welcome Kerry.  Hope you enjoy the site...
#2 - October 12, 2010, 09:02:59 am

KidCurry

Welcome.
#3 - October 12, 2010, 09:13:04 am
KidCurry@AZBarbeque.com
KCBS CBJ
Mike boils his ribs....pass it on.

RudedoggAZ

Welcome to the site!
#4 - October 12, 2010, 09:32:40 am

BBQCZAR

Welcome to the site Kerry,great group of people here and very helpful as well  :)
#5 - October 12, 2010, 09:36:27 am
www.thebbqbullies.com
www.azvideoelectronics.com

BBQ Bullies competition barbeque team

AzQer

Welcome Kerry glad you found us stop on by at the upcoming event in Tucson say Hi
#6 - October 12, 2010, 10:59:38 am
Mark Smith
Southern Arizona BBQ Club Ambassador
MarkSmith@AZBarbeque.com

squealers

HI Kerry,

welcome!

you should go visit other BBQ nut at a local contest and ask around a bunch of questions about the different barbecue rigs.

then figure out what you want to cook and how much food do you want to cook at once? is this going to be only for competition?

I have custom build my rig, but ONLY because I don't have any place to buy one up here and I would have had to pay for traveling cost, taxes at the border, so I had mine made right here in town. I use it for catering work, so I can justify the cost and the size. I certainly would change a few things now that I have used it for 4 years... and the number one thing I would change is have the whole thing build 1/4" thick instead of only the fire box being 1/4" and everything else 1/8" thick which is way more affected by weather in competition.

I keep adding to it, and my next step is a hard roof on it and I should be done.

cheers
Martin   
#7 - October 12, 2010, 11:34:58 am
Taboo BBQ
Spicy Mike, Martin, plus a newbie

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Welcome Kerry, great to have you here.  Jump on in and enjoy all the site/club has to offer.

Look forward to meeting you out at the J.W. event..
#8 - October 12, 2010, 08:44:35 pm
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

Crash

Welcome, great to have you here.
#9 - October 12, 2010, 09:12:52 pm
I love animals.  They're delicious!
VRM Pit Crew

azkitch

...maybe get some tips on what equipment I should be considering for the built in components.  Any info would be appreciated.
Looking forward to the upcoming JW Marriot function at the end of October.  

An ATM...
Assuming you're building a permanent structure, now...Brick pizza oven first and foremost! Gas assist firestarter. Spice drawers, with removable tray so you can take spices in the house. I had one other idea, but I blinked, and while I was thinking about doing that, I lost my train of thought!! It's hell getting old!
Lights (duh)...Oh, yeah. A big a$$ propane burner for a large stockpot. Something in the 48K + BTU range. 60K or bigger for Tim Taylor...Binford's new Nuke'm Propane burner. Refine pig iron while you cook.

Welcome to the madness. It's fun until somebody looses a weenie!
#10 - October 14, 2010, 09:43:10 am
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

Gizzy's Smokin Crew

Welcome aboard Kerry. Enjoy the site
#11 - October 14, 2010, 10:00:59 am
Gizzy's Q'N Crew......"FANG" Tastic BBQ
Brinkman Pitmaster Deluxe
Weber Genesis Gas Grill

AZWildcat

Welcome to the madness. It's fun until somebody looses a weenie!
I can still be fun, as long as it's not YOUR weenie....then it's hysterical!  :D :D :D
#12 - October 15, 2010, 09:51:16 pm
2 UDS's-Stoked
2 WSM's-Stoked
BWS Party-Stoked
22.5 Kettle to burn burgers and steaks.

Be kind, polite and courteous to everyone you meet, and ALWAYS have a plan to kill them.

Members: