AZ Barbeque.com

A Quick Hello

Discussion started on

SmokerTim

Hi All - Been lurking here a bit, reading posts and enjoying the discussions. Finally broken down and signed up.  ^-^

I am a backyard cooker, never been to a comp - but hope to one of these days. Maybe someday I'll even get on a team. But there's no rush.
I am a member of KCBS and CBBQA - and will be taking the course to become a CBJ this year. That will get me out to some comps!

We live in sunny San Diego and I fire up the grill and my little vertical smoker when I get a chance (not enough recently!). I'm smoking on a Brinkmann (ECB) and waiting for the day that I can step up to something much better. Maybe a Backwoods or something. Haven't decided - it will be some time...gotta fund a new house first!

I'd love to hear about tips you may have for stabalizing the temp in cheap unit like I'm using, and extending the burn.
I like many things about this unit, but don't like the limited (none existent) air controls. May need to add some mods to help with that - but pretty much in the dark about doing that too...

My next planned Q will be a Butt for pulled pork. Not sure when it will happen, but that's the plan!

See ya around the forums.

Tim
#1 - January 13, 2008, 03:29:17 pm
-------------------------------------
Tim Craig
So Cal - Backyard Q'er
http://timcraig.blogspot.com

CBBQA & KCBS member

BBQCZAR

Welcome to the forums,lot's of great people here !
#2 - January 13, 2008, 03:37:11 pm
www.thebbqbullies.com
www.azvideoelectronics.com

BBQ Bullies competition barbeque team

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Tim,

Welcome to the forums, great to have you on here.  I look forward to meeting you soon out on the competition circuit.

Jump on in and enjoy the discussions.  If there is something you don't see on here, just start a discussion.  We have lots of great BBQ Enthusists on here and they are always willing to offer suggestions, assistance and guidance.

Good luck on your first Butt.  Please let us know how it turns out.

Mike
#3 - January 13, 2008, 07:29:04 pm
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

Jaybird

Hey SmokerTim, welcome to the sight. We do alot of contests in California so hope to see ya soon. I know there are some modifications you can do with an ECB.....but my suggestion is....if you have any enemies, give it to one of them. Then buy a  Weber WSM ($200/225). Only thing you'll get from an ECB is frustration. That is the best advice I can give you. Once you have your WSM...you'll get all kinds of help!
#4 - January 14, 2008, 07:41:42 am

TOPS BBQ

Tim,

Good to see you spreading your wings.  You'll catch me here from time to time.  BTW - Don't listen to anything Jay has to say.  All he & his wife do is win GC & RGC from time to time. ;)

What part of San Diego?  My in-laws live in Encinitas.  A good starter comp would be the Imperial Beach contest.  Of course, Thom has some pretty good IBCA comps going on as well.

Good luck!
#5 - January 15, 2008, 11:50:43 am
www.TOPS-BBQ.com
www.myspace.com/TOPSBBQ

FAT 50 Ultra
A whole sleuth of homemade grills and smokers

Anything worth fighting for is worth fighting for dirty!

SmokerTim

Hey SmokerTim, welcome to the sight. We do alot of contests in California so hope to see ya soon. I know there are some modifications you can do with an ECB.....but my suggestion is....if you have any enemies, give it to one of them. Then buy a  Weber WSM ($200/225). Only thing you'll get from an ECB is frustration. That is the best advice I can give you. Once you have your WSM...you'll get all kinds of help!

I hear ya Jay - but that's not in the cards right now. Heck, I've really only smoked one thing on the darn beast. I'll fight with it a bit more, and get my hands dirty helping folks at events. Helping Thom next weekend, and maybe again in Feb.

Then I'll save up my pennies and get something more appropriate. I think a basket for the coals might help me out a lot - that should hold me over a little bit. Also hoping to take part in a "Build your UDS" event this year, so that would get me rockin.

All in good time...  :) 
#6 - January 17, 2008, 01:34:56 am
Tim Craig
So Cal - Backyard Q'er

CBBQA & KCBS member

SmokerTim

Tim,

Good to see you spreading your wings.  You'll catch me here from time to time.  BTW - Don't listen to anything Jay has to say.  All he & his wife do is win GC & RGC from time to time. ;)

What part of San Diego?  My in-laws live in Encinitas.  A good starter comp would be the Imperial Beach contest.  Of course, Thom has some pretty good IBCA comps going on as well.

Good luck!

I'm in Escondido - just inland a bit. I've heard about Imperial Beach - I hope to be there in some fashion. Anyone know the date?

Yeah - looks like Thom keeps us CA folks hoppin'! Looking forward to meeting many of you fine folks along the way and sharing some Q.
#7 - January 17, 2008, 01:38:22 am
Tim Craig
So Cal - Backyard Q'er

CBBQA & KCBS member

force

Hey Tim,
Welcome and HOO Ah............. great tips and ideas are on this website and cook offs too.............. competitions are always fun........... pulling for your chargers...................... but an NFC guy............... here........... force
#8 - January 17, 2008, 06:08:08 am
Huge Fan of Mike (AZBarbeque)... He's My Hero..

Jaybird

I hear ya Jay - but that's not in the cards right now. Heck, I've really only smoked one thing on the darn beast. I'll fight with it a bit more, and get my hands dirty helping folks at events. Helping Thom next weekend, and maybe again in Feb.

Then I'll save up my pennies and get something more appropriate. I think a basket for the coals might help me out a lot - that should hold me over a little bit. Also hoping to take part in a "Build your UDS" event this year, so that would get me rockin.

All in good time...  :) 

I've got 4 BDS's. You'll love them too. Hang with Thom, you'll learn somethin. ??? ;D
#9 - January 17, 2008, 07:41:14 am

TOPS BBQ

I'm in Escondido - just inland a bit. I've heard about Imperial Beach - I hope to be there in some fashion. Anyone know the date?

Yeah - looks like Thom keeps us CA folks hoppin'! Looking forward to meeting many of you fine folks along the way and sharing some Q.
[/quote]

Imperial Beach (Beach front BBQ) would be great for starters.  It attracts about a dozen or so teams.  The Chamber of Commerce puts the event on.  Gene Goycohea is one of the contacts for info.  They have been trying to get back on track during the month of June, but they keep getting rescheduled.  Two years ago it was in November, but last year it was the first weekend of September.

Of course, Thom's competitions are well suited for newbie's as well.  IBCA takes the worry out of having to use greens.  People's choice vending can get you some money back too.
#10 - January 17, 2008, 11:53:38 am
www.TOPS-BBQ.com
www.myspace.com/TOPSBBQ

FAT 50 Ultra
A whole sleuth of homemade grills and smokers

Anything worth fighting for is worth fighting for dirty!

Members: