AZ Barbeque.com

Greatings from Chandler, AZ

Discussion started on

NOVYQUE

Just signed on today.  My name is James and I have been smoking various meats since the end of January 2010.  At this point, I am pretty much sticking to pork shoulders, baby back ribs, brisket, and chicken.  I do however, plan to venture out and smoke a turkey.  I hope to have my first test run done by mid October in preparation for Thanksgiving.  Anyone smoke turkey before?  Any tips for the first timer?  The other item I would like to smoke down the road is bacon.

I am looking forward to reading everyone's posts on this site and hope to meet some of you down the road.

Happy smoking!!! :)
#1 - September 27, 2010, 08:01:20 pm
Weber Smokey Mountain 18.5"
Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5"
Chandler, AZ

BCS CBJ

azkitch

Welcome on! One of the tips that has stuck with me is "Try to undersmoke your meat!" That'll help you avoid the nasty taste of burning too much wood. Smoke should be thin/barely visible and bluish. If it's thick and white, too much stuff burning off.
Smoking turkey--lots of talk about butter soaked cheesecloth to wrap it. I smoke turkey at 325 or so, like in an oven. Last 2 T-Givings they were fantastic!
I tried pistachio wood at the suggestion of Vince of Rhythm and Que, a team that wins frequently. I suggest it too. It was extremely tasty!!

Edit: I just noticed the thread is alive again. Here's the link...
http://www.azbarbeque.com/forums/bbq-recently-post-pictures-and-tell-us-what-you-cooked/casa-di-divq-is-a-bevy-of-excitement-this-morning/
#2 - September 27, 2010, 08:08:22 pm
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 08:11:36 pm by azkitch »
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

glenntm

Welcome James.  I'm from Chandler too.  
#3 - September 27, 2010, 08:08:59 pm

NOVYQUE

Thanks AZKITCH!  Great link.  I would have never have thought about using cheesecloth on the bird.  My first thought would be that it would burn, but I guess that is where the butter comes into play.  One could probably use the same technique on a whole chicken.  Hmmm....  Might just have to try that this weekend.
#4 - September 28, 2010, 07:45:44 am
Weber Smokey Mountain 18.5"
Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5"
Chandler, AZ

BCS CBJ

n2dabluebbq

welcome to the site sir. looking forward to seeing your contributions. as far as smoking bacon, look for jmcrigs threads. he likes to cure and smoke many different things. might have a bacon thread somewhere from him.
#5 - September 28, 2010, 09:16:38 am
low and slow baby, low and slow

s.475 passed baby!           http://s801.photobucket.com/albums/yy291/n2dabluebbq/

AzQer

Welcome James glad you found us. Now pull up a log and enjoy the club
#6 - September 28, 2010, 02:03:35 pm
Mark Smith
Southern Arizona BBQ Club Ambassador
MarkSmith@AZBarbeque.com

AzJohnnyC

Welcome!
#7 - September 28, 2010, 07:40:05 pm
Whiskey Business BBQ
WWW.Facebook.com/whiskeybusinessbbq

Weber 22-1/2 Silver
Twin Pro Q Excel 20s
Lang 84 Deluxe

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Welcome James, great to have you here, glad you found us.

We have a great group of BBQers here and lots of great discussions.  Jump on in and enjoy.

Look forward to seeing lots of pictures of your BBQing and hope to meet you soon out at some of our great events.

WELCOME!!

Mike
#8 - September 29, 2010, 01:12:19 am
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

KidCurry

Welcome!!z
#9 - September 29, 2010, 08:06:35 am
KidCurry@AZBarbeque.com
KCBS CBJ
Mike boils his ribs....pass it on.

Members: