AZ Barbeque.com

Biscuits

Discussion started on

jim

I want to share this recipe, been trying to get a good handle on bread making. This recipe has had little trial and error -- but it know comes out very good and consistant -- if you make them up let me know the results -
jim

Biscuits
Yeast – 1 pack
1 teaspoon baking powder
¼ cup sugar
¼ cup oil
2 cups flour
1 cup warm water
¼ cup powdered milk
½ teaspoon salt
1 egg
Dissolve yeast with warm water – in about 10 min. the mixture will bubble. Mix egg and oil, blend dry ingredients, add liquids and kneed  --- kneed until blended, lightly oil bowl, place dough in bowl and cover with towel, place bowl in warm area out of draft for about an hour. The dough will double in size – kneed again, make into small ( 3” x 2”) loafs, place on baking pan for 10 min. Heat oven to 350 deg. egg wash or butter tops of loaf – make cuts with serrated knife in the top of loafs. Place in oven for about 30 min. or until light brown.

#1 - January 28, 2008, 04:40:12 pm

Mike (AZBarbeque)

I love homemade breads....  I will certainly give that one a try.  Might add some garlic to the basting on top to give it some more flavor..

Great recipe, keep them coming!!!
#2 - January 28, 2008, 05:43:15 pm
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

desertdog

I love biscuits and gravy, but I am totally lazy when it comes to making biscuits.  Crucify me, but I have found these biscuits to be pretty decent and NO work what-so-ever.

#3 - February 01, 2008, 09:33:39 pm
Pitmaster for Ship of Fools, er...Major Woody's BBQ Team
Beer Ambassador -currently doing research in assorted Bavarian Villages

barbedQ

this is bread, not biscuits but it's the best no knead recipe I've ever tried.  Came from Mother Earth News (yes, I'm a closet hippie) and like all good things takes a bit of time.

1/4 t active dry yeast
1 1/2 C warm water
3 C all purpose flour (I use half wheat and half white)
1 1/2 t salt

Dissolve yeast in water.  Add flour and salt, stirring until blended.  Dough will be shaggy and sticky.  Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let rest at least 8 hours (preferrably 12-18) at warm room temp, approx 70 degrees.

Dough is ready when its surface is dotted with bubbles (think pancake batter on griddle).  Lightly flour a work surface and place dough on it.  Sprinkle it with a little more flour and fold it over on itself once or twice.  Cover loosely on board with plastic wrap and rest for 15 minutes.

Using just enough flour to keep the dough from sticking to the work surface or fingers, gently shape it into a ball.  Generously coat a clean dish towel, spread out on a board, with flour or cornmeal.  Put the seam side of the dough down on the towel and dust top with more flour.  Cover with another towel and let rest 1 to 2 hours.  Pre-heat oven to 475 at about 1 hr of rest time.  Dough is ready when it has doubled in size and does not spring back when gently poked.

Put a 6-8 quart heavy covered pot in the oven to heat well.  When the dough is ready, remove th epot from the oven and lift off the lide.  Slide your hand under the towel and turn the dough over into the pot, seam side up.  The dough will lose its shape a bit in the process but that's OK.  Give the pot a firm shake or two to help distribute the dough.

Cover and bake for 30 minutes.  Remove the lid and bake anothrr 15 to 20 until the loaf is browned to your liking.  Remove from oven and pot and place on cooling rack for at least 1 hour before serving.

I've got a loaf sitting in the laundry room right now.
#4 - February 02, 2008, 09:30:27 am
Medium Spicewine; 2 NB Offsets; 2 WSM; 2 ProQ; 1 Peoria Cooker

jim

Made a batch of biscuits Sunday, here's a picture just before we added the butter -- straight for the dinner plate of chuck roast smothered with gravey --- yum yum
jim

[attachment deleted by admin]
#5 - February 18, 2008, 11:47:54 am

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Those look very tasty.  Thank for the picture.  It's true what they say, they are worth a 1000 words...
#6 - February 18, 2008, 01:02:04 pm
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

foodbme

TIPS & TRICKS

HERE'S SOME THINGS I LEARNED ABOUT MAKING THE BEST BISCUITS

USE PIONEER BRAND FLOUR AND FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS ON THE BOX WITH THE EXCEPTION OF THE INSTRUCTIONS BELOW. PIONEER fLOWER IS AVAILABLE AT FRY'S AND WALMART. IT MAKES GREAT BISCUITS AND IN MY OPINION, IS BETTER THAN MARTHA WHITE'S.

SIFT THE FLOUR THRU A STRAINER TO GET ALL THE LUMPS OUT SO YOU DON'T HAVE "LUMPY" BISCUITS.

WARM UP THE MILK IN THE MICROWAVE  FOR ABOUT 80 SECONDS. IT WILL HELP THE BISCUITS RISE UP NICE AND FLUFFY.

GENTLY KNEAD THE DOUGH. JUST TURN IT OVER A COUPLE OF TIMES. IF YOU KNEAD IT TOO MUCH, YOU WILL GET FLAT & TOUGH BISCUITS. WHEN YOU PAT OUT THE DOUGH, MAKE IT A LITTLE THICK SO YOU GET BIG FLUFFY BISCUITS

SPRAY YOUR PAN WITH COOKING SPRAY TO KEEP YOUR BISCUITS FROM STICKING TO THE PAN.

I BAKE THE BISCUITS ABOUT THE SAME TIME AS THE BOX SAYS, BUT SOMETIMES YOU NEED TO BAKE THEM MORE . I GO BY THE COLOR OF THE TOPS OF THE BUSCUITS. WHEN THEY GET NICE AND GOLDEN BROWN, I TAKE THEM OUT.

DON'T OPEN THE OVEN DOOR WHILE THEY'RE BAKING. LOOK THRU THE WINDOW TO CHECK THEM OUT IN THE FIRST 10 MINUTES SO THEY RISE UP NICE AND FLUFFY.

MELT SOME BUTTER  IN THE MCROWAVE SO YOU CAN BRUSH IT ON YOUR BISCUITS WHEN THEY'RE DONE. IT WILL MAKE THEM LOOK REALLY NICE AND TASTE GOOD.

HAVE FUN!!!!
#7 - June 22, 2008, 12:57:22 pm

Members: