AZ Barbeque.com

Seasoning Help

Discussion started on

Gizzy's Smokin Crew

I have a Wenzel cast iron cookware set I would like to use. However, I cannot find the owners manual to season it. I have checked the web and different mfg's have differant instructions for seasoning. Any thoughts or suggestions? Any help would be appreciated
Thanks in advance for your help
#1 - November 16, 2011, 01:35:48 pm
Gizzy's Q'N Crew......"FANG" Tastic BBQ
Brinkman Pitmaster Deluxe
Weber Genesis Gas Grill

glenntm

We rubbed a little olive oil on the inside and outside of the cast iron.  Turned the oven up to 475 and put the cookware in there for 30 minutes.  Seemed to work great for us. It will smoke a little so don't be surprised. 
#2 - November 16, 2011, 01:43:16 pm

Gizzy's Smokin Crew

Thanks Tom
#3 - November 16, 2011, 01:51:58 pm
Weber Genesis Gas Grill

mustang

I have a Wenzel cast iron cookware set I would like to use. However, I cannot find the owners manual to season it. I have checked the web and different mfg's have differant instructions for seasoning. Any thoughts or suggestions? Any help would be appreciated
Thanks in advance for your help

I have had excellent results using flax oil to season my cast iron dutch ovens and cast iron skillets.

Here's an explanation of the chemistry involved in seasoning cast iron with flax oil:

http://sherylcanter.com/wordpress/2010/01/a-science-based-technique-for-seasoning-cast-iron/

You can use your indoor oven for heat or simply use your outdoor grill for the same results.
#4 - November 16, 2011, 01:53:41 pm
« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 11:44:34 am by mustang »

toys4dlr

It is just not worth your time, I suggest that you box it all up and I will be over to take it off your hands.   :D

Really, what tom said should work fine.  
#5 - November 16, 2011, 01:55:14 pm
Toys 4 BBQ'N
Competition BBQ Team - Anthem, Arizona

Comfort is King with our team

Q-TO-U-BBQ, Anthem AZ
North Valley Magazine's Reader's Choice Best BBQ for 2010 and 2011

Gizzy's Smokin Crew

Thanks guys.......I 'll give it a shot. By the way, If it's going to smoke, Can I do it on my gas grill outside if I can get the temp up to what is required
#6 - November 16, 2011, 02:07:26 pm
Weber Genesis Gas Grill

azkitch

Thanks guys.......I 'll give it a shot. By the way, If it's going to smoke, Can I do it on my gas grill outside if I can get the temp up to what is required
I've seen that recommended. I've seen both low and high heat suggested for curing cast iron. More of what I've read involves heat around 350 for an hour. Personally, I'd use a high smoke point oil...peanut or canola. I would stay away from evoo, I wouldn't want that flavor in the seasoned surface of the pan. Reg or light, maybe...that's my $0.02...The other advice I keep reading is just cook fatty stuff first. Mostly bacon cheezeburgers!
#7 - November 16, 2011, 09:52:00 pm
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

Gizzy's Smokin Crew

I've seen that recommended. I've seen both low and high heat suggested for curing cast iron. More of what I've read involves heat around 350 for an hour. Personally, I'd use a high smoke point oil...peanut or canola. I would stay away from evoo, I wouldn't want that flavor in the seasoned surface of the pan. Reg or light, maybe...that's my $0.02...The other advice I keep reading is just cook fatty stuff first. Mostly bacon cheezeburgers!

I Love greasy bacon cheeseburgers :P
#8 - November 17, 2011, 10:40:47 am
Weber Genesis Gas Grill

Dutch100

Wenzel ovens come with a waxy coating to prevent rust that must be burned off first. They do not have a pre-seasoning like Camp Chef or Lodge have. Place it in your oven upside down with the lid on a lower shelf and turn it on the self clean cycle. Open the windows cuz its gonna smoke a while. When the oven shuts off and cools, using leather gloves, remove it and wipe it down with Crisco all surfaces. Put the Crisco on the rag so you dont wind up with puddle saturation areas. Place it back in the oven and bake it at 450 for 1 hour. Turn off oven and let cool. While still warm you can repeat the wipe/bake procedure as many times as you wish, but I usually only do it once, then cook something greasy in it, like fried chicken or bacon, etc.
#9 - November 18, 2011, 07:36:41 am
Mark "Dutch" Wilkins
The Bar B Chuckwagon

rvriggs

Wenzel ovens come with a waxy coating to prevent rust that must be burned off first. They do not have a pre-seasoning like Camp Chef or Lodge have. Place it in your oven upside down with the lid on a lower shelf and turn it on the self clean cycle. Open the windows cuz its gonna smoke a while. When the oven shuts off and cools, using leather gloves, remove it and wipe it down with Crisco all surfaces. Put the Crisco on the rag so you dont wind up with puddle saturation areas. Place it back in the oven and bake it at 450 for 1 hour. Turn off oven and let cool. While still warm you can repeat the wipe/bake procedure as many times as you wish, but I usually only do it once, then cook something greasy in it, like fried chicken or bacon, etc.

This is the best advice.
#10 - November 19, 2011, 06:27:20 am

Gizzy's Smokin Crew

Thanks guys... appreciate the advice
#11 - November 19, 2011, 11:58:06 am
Weber Genesis Gas Grill

Members: