AZ Barbeque.com

steamer option on fat 50

Discussion started on

upnsmokin

have not used the steamer option much on our fat 50 and was wondering if anyone knows how long will it steam on a full load of water if i am running it at about 250
have used it on a load of ribs but was looking to try it on a case of briskets to avoid wrapping.
any help would be great!
Thanks
Brett
#1 - July 16, 2010, 11:32:45 am

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Brett, I have used it many times.  It lasts about an hour and a half to 2 hours. 

I don't typically refill once it goes through as it's like a radiator opening it up when it's that hot.

It does do a great job of keeping the humidity high in the cooking chamber.

My suggestion would be to try it out and time it yourself as each unit is a bit different.

Let us know how it turns out..
#2 - July 18, 2010, 06:06:41 pm
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

upnsmokin

well i tried it  and timed it and i got about 2 hours cooking at 240 degrees using a small hot clean fire.
will 2 hours do any good for shoulders and brisket?? i usually cook those for up to 12 hours and you have me a little worried about opening and filling when hot.
Brett
#3 - July 22, 2010, 11:59:57 am

Yeti

While I don't own one, funds limit me to a WSM, I've seen the filler for the water tank and wondered the same thing "how do you re-fill once the unit is hot?"  Replacing the threaded filler cap with a short piece of pipe and a ball valve (all metal of course) would make opening it up safer in case there's any steam still in the chamber.  Crack it upen with a board/pipe/pole/etc to vent off any pressure then fill as normal through the open valve.
#4 - July 24, 2010, 02:11:32 pm

BrownBearBBQ

Grizmtn said that he used 3 Diamond plates w/steamers up in Montana. Said the way to refill them while hot is to loosen up the cap w/a piece of wood or a hammer then SLOWLY loosen it up till it rattles in the threads and let all the pressure out. Finish removing it, but keep your head back ya know, just in case!! I think that Yeti's idea of a a piece of pipe and a ball valve has possibilities. Have a steamer on my Diamond plate 70 series, however, haven't used it yet. Meat is plenty moist w/out it. Am sure I'll try it sometime.
#5 - July 24, 2010, 03:55:03 pm
Diamond Plate Series 70 Modified
Southern Pride  300
Traeger
KCBS Judge #56038

Brown Bear BBQ Catering and Personal Chef

Providing the Best of "Smokin' Good Times"!!

ledbera1

I have a DPP 50.  When I first purchased the unit I used the steamer all the time.  After a while I started to think about the fact that I can't clean the steaming chamber out.  I stopped using it and I am curious if you guys have any thoughts about on the matter.  I would think that there has to be rust in the tank?

I would love it if there was a drain so that it could be washed out.

Thanks
#6 - July 27, 2010, 06:18:41 am

grizmt

I have a DPP 50.  When I first purchased the unit I used the steamer all the time.  After a while I started to think about the fact that I can't clean the steaming chamber out.  I stopped using it and I am curious if you guys have any thoughts about on the matter.  I would think that there has to be rust in the tank?

I would love it if there was a drain so that it could be washed out.

Thanks
That's a good question and one I didn't consider much until now. While working 'em I never noticed any kind of rust in the cooking chamber (which is probably why I never considered it) but now that I think about it there should be no rust (or very little) if it's dryed out which it would be after you run out of water at the end of a cook and you keep the cap on so air doesn't circulate through the tank. Secondly, after putting in our water well (the casing is iron pipe) we were told that rust scale will build up on the pipe and that's a good thing as it gets rid of the metallic taste. If your really worried I'm sure you can rinse out the tank by lifting the front of the trailer a bit and keeping a towel wrapped hose (so it seals) runing in the tank.
As for other impurities remember your dealing with steam where it exits the tank which should purify the exit as it runs (We used to get the steam runing for a bit before adding any food to clean it). This is not to say that I'd leave water in it between cooks 'cause I think you'd be risking undue levels of bacteria.
Personally I loved the steam, it seemed to speed up the cook a bit, it gave you the flexability or safety cushion in case you forgot to baste or got hung up doing something else and in my mind more moisture is usually not a bad thing.
#7 - July 27, 2010, 08:47:40 am

shchef

I have one and have used it a few times and yes it is very dangerous to refill, but i have done it.kind of crazy though stick the hose in the opening and get back and make sure nobody else is close and crank the water on, it shoots about 20 feet in the air it is super heated steam but after a minute it calms down and its not a problem. full it runs about 2 hours i thought it was harder to control the temp when i use it and didn't think the ribs came out to well. need to have a way to control amount of steam that enters the chamber.
#8 - August 25, 2010, 10:34:45 pm

Members: