AZ Barbeque.com

Do You Own a Diamondplate Smoker? Show us your Pics

Discussion started on

Mike (AZBarbeque)

OK, if you own a Diamondplate Smoker, post some feedback on your experience with them and post some pictures of your unit is use.  We love pictures over here.  ;)

#1 - August 20, 2008, 08:39:23 pm
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

Cajun Smoker

My DP 50

DP 50 with fire blazing in firebox before cooking

4 racks of baby backs after only an hour. They looked done and passed the bend test.  ???
#2 - July 29, 2009, 01:06:44 pm

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Great looking 50 there.  Can't wait to see more pictures of it in action.  Hope to see you out at some of our great events cooking on it.

CONGRATS!!!
#3 - July 29, 2009, 02:08:18 pm
Michael J. Reimann

shchef

do you use wood only.
#4 - April 13, 2010, 08:15:30 pm

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Yes and No.

I start with a Lump Charcoal to get the pit to temp.  I find when I use Lump, it burns hotter and is able to heat up the metal faster and get me to temp quicker.  When I use Kingsford, it takes me a lot longer.

After the pit is at temp, I use all wood from there.  I use a log about every hour to hour & a half and it holds temp amazingly well.

We are going to really put my Custom Diamondplate unit to the test these next two weeks.  We will be cooking almost 2000 pounds of food on it for our next two events and I will try to take lots of pictures and provide a recap on it's performance.  Certainly looking forward to it..
#5 - April 13, 2010, 11:45:06 pm
Michael J. Reimann

shchef

I have used Mesquite Charcoal many times in my professional career but how does it work in a closed environment.
#6 - April 14, 2010, 08:19:39 pm

azkitch

I find mesquite, by nature, too strong. Pecan is ubiquitous. Apple is second, lots of people swear by either of those + cherry.
#7 - May 01, 2010, 10:06:50 pm
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

jmcrig

Cherry is good, but be careful. It can overwhelm very easily. ;D
#8 - May 01, 2010, 10:11:56 pm

squealers

Cherry on chicken makes it dark! not a bad taste, but dark skin!
those are the wood we have a lot up here... the apple, apricot, cherry, peach and loads of used oak barrels for cheap.

#9 - May 02, 2010, 08:02:50 am
Taboo BBQ
Spicy Mike, Martin, plus a newbie

shchef

i DO OWN ONE ITS A FAT BOY, iT TOOK AWHILE TO GET USED TO BUT i DO A LOT OF SMOKIN ON IT FOR MY RESTAURANT. wELL WHAT CAN I SAY, It works best when full of product their is a considerable difference to me whenit is full of product or close.its all about the air flow to much to little,I first start with one bag of charcoal when that gets started I add the wood three or four pieces about 12-16 " long by 5-6" wide, I open all the vents full and leave the door open for about 15 minutes til it is glowing hot,then  add the food and shut the door and close the vent almost all the way and it will drop the temp and will stay at 225 for about 2.5 hour til i have to add wood or mesquite charcoal.if you cook a lot of product on it dont forget to put a bucket under the 2 drain tubes or you will have one hell of a mess. practice, practice, practice.
#10 - August 25, 2010, 10:22:54 pm

Members: