AZ Barbeque.com

Thai/Viet hot wings

Discussion started on

bearbonez

I thought I'd post my wife's hot wing recipe. I had her type this up to post on another forum a while back. I found it and sharing it here. These can be done in the oven at 350 or on the grill or bbq'd. Whatever works for you.

here is my bastardization of Thai/ Viet spicy lemon grass wings (beware lots of chopping involved!!)

5 lbs. chicken wings
1 whole hand of Ginger, young is better, and Thai ginger (real hot) is even better if you can find it. Chope into tiny slivers , about 1/4" x 1" is acceptable, but smaller is better.
1 huge garlic clove, mince the whole thing, if you like garlic, chop 2!
fish sauce (yes you have to use this=P lol) this is the *salt* and you will not salt at all beyond this so use at least 1/4 cup, i use more, and YES the stink cooks off! (also called shrimp sauce, or fermented fish sauce...STOP THAT GAGGING DAMMIT!)
about 1/2 cup oyster sauce

now here is the best part!!!

6 fat stalks of lemon grass, you have to chop these down to the size of glitter, (askin bear what a better refference fer da mens would be)
ok he says ultra fine chop...
I HAVE seen in some asian markets where some ambitious asian ladies have prechopped and bottled the dry lemongrasses...get em if they exist where you live and save the chop time.

this will take you an hour at least and i chop dozens at a time and freeze them myself so that i dont have to take the time everytime i want spicy lemon grass flavor. in my freezer bag is lemon grass, teensy diced thai chilis, minced garlic, and ginger slivers just sos ya know how I do it)

2 huge heaping satay sauce dolops (also called Tuong Ot and ground chili with fried garlic, its a deep burgandy color, usually small bottles)

about 1/3 cup sriracha HOT chili sauce, this is not Mae ploy, it isnt sweet, and neither are these wings=) (also called Tuong ot sriracha)

a handfull of Thai chillis chopped fine, these are those leetle buggers that look like the xmas tree lights...yummy! if you substitute chilis you will get a different taste, but do what you like there.

now you grab a beer or 6 cause they have to marinate all night!!

I like these crispy, but they are good and hot and tasty either way.

Bear says i can find all these ingredients in Phoenix, but Im stascing a bag full to go with me (SHHHH!)

#1 - March 15, 2006, 06:51:39 pm
David "Bear" Nunley

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Bear, 

Tell your wife, they sound great, but wow is there alot of prep time on those  :o

I am a wing-aholic, so I can promise you I will try them out.

We just did the wing thing last night and I got some Spicy Garlic ones, they were good.  The resturant has a contest going on for anyone who can eat 6 of their suicide ones in under 5 mintues gets a t-shirt and their picture put on the wall.  I am going to have to give that a shot someday.

Again, thanks for the recipe, I'm sure I will give them a go.
#2 - March 15, 2006, 06:56:56 pm
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

bearbonez

OHHH??? I'll do that with you. I have been known to eat things that make me lose my speech. I am game!!
#3 - March 15, 2006, 07:00:55 pm
David "Bear" Nunley

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Now we are talking, let's get together a few of us and go do it.  The only problem is, the shirt we win is only a Large.  I don't know about you, but that wouldn't fit me or any of the guys I know who would be willing to do that contest.  ;D

We can use them as towels to wipe away the sweat.   ;D
#4 - March 15, 2006, 07:04:14 pm
Michael J. Reimann

bearbonez

and a bib as well. When I first moved to Hawaii and met the Bearess (wife). She took me to try a bunch of vietnamese, korean and thai food that you just cant get in AZ. I always asked for xtra spicy or to bring me chile sauce to kick up the food. They did so very reluctantly. They watched me closely as I started to eat my food. I also noticed that dishwashers and cooks were coming out and peeking around the corner to see me runnin around in circles, punching myself in the head trying to put out the flames. Well they were disappointed that I ate all the food on my plate I think. It was a funny to watch, aslo because it happened on several occasions.
 They just didn't believe that a haole (white mainlander) could eat hot food. Guess they never had an Arizonan there before.  8)
By the way. They're idea of hot doesn't compare with some of the great Mexican cooking we get in AZ.
#5 - March 15, 2006, 07:12:52 pm
David "Bear" Nunley

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Bear, That's true, we do have some spicy hot Mexican food here in AZ.  I too love Thai, Vietnamese and Korean cooking, and you are right, we don't have any really good places here in AZ to enjoy it.  But of all places I have had great food like that was in Munich, Germany when I was over there.  There was actually a resturant that served all three kinds of food.  I lived there for a week it was so good.

#6 - March 15, 2006, 09:36:09 pm
Michael J. Reimann

Members: