AZ Barbeque.com

Hoisin Sauce Chicken - When you get bored of the norm.

Discussion started on

Jubesbbq

Tried something new this week, sorry no pics.

Hoisin (spl) sauce is available in the Asian section of the store.  Nice sweet sauce that can be kicked up a little.  Here is what I used (+ or -) with great success.

1/2c  Hoisin Sauce
1/4 c seasoned rice wine vinegar
2 to 6 Jalapenos seeded, roasted and diced
1 clove Garlic, roasted and smashed

Mix together and use as a glaze at the end of the cook.  Of course if I am grilling or smoking chicken I always brine the bird.

A nice change of pace, sweet spicy sauce.

Jeff
#1 - July 26, 2009, 08:28:01 pm

toys4dlr

Goes great on Leg of Lamb too, but be careful over direct flame, as the high sugar content will burn.
#2 - July 27, 2009, 10:10:06 am
Toys 4 BBQ'N
Competition BBQ Team - Anthem, Arizona

Comfort is King with our team

Q-TO-U-BBQ, Anthem AZ
North Valley Magazine's Reader's Choice Best BBQ for 2010 and 2011

Mark

Sounds good, Jeff. I love any BBQ with an oriental twist. I swear by Thai Sweet Chile Sauce on anything and keep it on hand at all times.  :P
#3 - July 27, 2009, 08:02:50 pm
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

PAT YOUNG

I second what MARK say's about the thai sweet chili sauce! Iv'e been using it for 15-20 years and we love it! I always add a little to my stir-fry's, marinades, etc. It's great on grilled chicken wings! It makes a great glaze for ribs too!
#4 - July 31, 2009, 02:49:43 am

Beercicle

As well as hoisin (which cost me dearly at a competition when i took a foolish chance on a hoisin sauce for my ribs), I've also used Chinese XO sauce--it has more of a black bean/garlic flavor with a sweetness to it that's really nice.  If you try XO, go easy--it's strong flavor.
#5 - December 31, 2009, 12:23:32 am
Work is the curse of the drinking class!

azkitch

As well as hoisin (which cost me dearly at a competition when i took a foolish chance on a hoisin sauce for my ribs), I've also used Chinese XO sauce--it has more of a black bean/garlic flavor with a sweetness to it that's really nice.  If you try XO, go easy--it's strong flavor.
I thought XO was really really good brandy! Or the Executive Officer...
#6 - December 31, 2009, 11:46:19 am
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

Members: