AZ Barbeque.com

Here we go again....chicken help please!?

Discussion started on

AZWildcat

Okay, after going thru the numerous posts regarding the sarcastic responses to "competition" or "bite thru" chicken skin, I figured i'd give it another try. My chicken, esp 1/2 chicken, is good on flavor and moistness (injection / marinade and a little rub). The skin looks great, but is as bite thru as a car tire. Does anyone have a tip for at least making it tolerable and not embarrassing? On the 1/2 bird, you can't exactly pull it all off to work it. Sarcastic responses are accepted and expected, but come on!! Someone??

Also, to any judges...how much of the score is based on the skin texture?

Thx in advance for ALL responses. Your help over the last 6 months has been awsome!
#1 - June 28, 2010, 07:02:11 pm
2 UDS's-Stoked
2 WSM's-Stoked
BWS Party-Stoked
22.5 Kettle to burn burgers and steaks.

Be kind, polite and courteous to everyone you meet, and ALWAYS have a plan to kill them.

RudedoggAZ

What temp are you cooking at?
#2 - June 28, 2010, 07:08:03 pm

AZWildcat

I'm trying to keep the chicken at 275, but i'm a hesitant to go any higher. Is that enough?
#3 - June 28, 2010, 07:14:38 pm
2 UDS's-Stoked
2 WSM's-Stoked
BWS Party-Stoked

Be kind, polite and courteous to everyone you meet, and ALWAYS have a plan to kill them.

RudedoggAZ

Yeah, That's a good temp but if you are having issues with getting it the way you want, I would say to experiment with the heat toward the end of the cook.
#4 - June 28, 2010, 07:21:45 pm

jmcrig

Dan, that's hotter than I cook. 225 to 250.
Now , not trying to be sarcastic. Over 90% of the people on here are more than willing to help people get started with the basics. But you also have to understand that these same people have spent thousands of dollars on books, classes, and of course trail and error cooks. Good classes start at $200 and go to $500 plus. The members on here will try to keep you on the right track, but it isn't fair to ask them to give up there secrets.
#5 - June 28, 2010, 07:25:54 pm

AZWildcat

Yeah, That's a good temp but if you are having issues with getting it the way you want, I would say to experiment with the heat toward the end of the cook.
Thanks Chris! I'll give it a try........

Dan, that's hotter than I cook. 225 to 250.
Now , not trying to be sarcastic. Over 90% of the people on here are more than willing to help people get started with the basics. But you also have to understand that these same people have spent thousands of dollars on books, classes, and of course trail and error cooks. Good classes start at $200 and go to $500 plus. The members on here will try to keep you on the right track, but it isn't fair to ask them to give up there secrets.
Sure....I completely understand. I'm certainly not looking for anyones secrets. I've been to a school for good money, have the books, been experimenting for about 2 yrs now, ruined more meat than I care to remember (actually threw away 2 racks of spares that went wrong this weekend and couldn't be saved). That whole chicken thing is driving me NUTS! I'd hesitate to give up any secrets too (if i actually had any), but is this something that plagues us all, or am I just spinning my wheels?  Thanks jmcrig, I appreciate it.......and I understand!

Is the "bite thru" something judges look for?
#6 - June 28, 2010, 07:38:44 pm
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 07:51:41 pm by AZWildcat »
2 UDS's-Stoked
2 WSM's-Stoked
BWS Party-Stoked

jmcrig

Dan, try googling "butterflied chicken". You may find something that helps. Good luck
#7 - June 28, 2010, 07:45:06 pm

AZWildcat

I butterfly mine now, can get it trimmed and looking good. I'll give that a shot. thx!!
#8 - June 28, 2010, 07:50:42 pm
2 UDS's-Stoked
2 WSM's-Stoked
BWS Party-Stoked

jmcrig

I butterfly mine now, can get it trimmed and looking good. I'll give that a shot. thx!!
Where I was going with my comment was to the different cooking/smoking techniques.
#9 - June 28, 2010, 07:53:02 pm

Crash

In the judging class that I took, we were instructed to not judge down for skin not being bite-through.  Personally, I think it is a factor with some judges though. 

If I take a bite of chicken and get slapped in the face with the skin, it doesnt exactly leave a good first impression.
#10 - June 28, 2010, 08:26:13 pm
I love animals.  They're delicious!
VRM Pit Crew

KidCurry

If I take a bite of chicken and get slapped in the face with the skin, it doesnt exactly leave a good first impression.

:D
#11 - June 28, 2010, 09:28:22 pm
KidCurry@AZBarbeque.com
KCBS CBJ
Mike boils his ribs....pass it on.

Cornbred

Hit the chicken with direct high heat for a few minutes at the end of the cook. See what that does.
#12 - June 28, 2010, 10:14:41 pm

azkitch

I understand how hard this particular task is, too. But I had a KCBS comp where I went back to see if 2 samples were indeed skinless--and they weren't. I have experienced the fabled bite-thru skin. They got 9 for texture! But I won't lower the score if it isn't bite thru. I judge the chicken first. This is another personal philosophy, because KCBS allows for skinless chicken.
#13 - June 28, 2010, 10:18:36 pm
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

Tek465

Have you found other ways to cook chicken (not BBQ) that gives you bite through skin? Then try to work those techniques into BBQ.

Example: Most crispy skin is cooked at high heat (Fried, Roasted), and most tender skin is cooked in a high humidity (boiled, steamed).

If you can't cook it at high temps (350+), what about cooking it like the Myron pan method or with a butter soaked cheesecloth.
#14 - June 29, 2010, 11:48:37 am

bearbonez

Hit the chicken with direct high heat for a few minutes at the end of the cook. See what that does.

I am thinking this is yer best bet. Hit it skin side down on the grill for a few minutes when ya get the bird to temp.
#15 - June 30, 2010, 04:52:36 pm
David "Bear" Nunley

Members: