AZ Barbeque.com

Wood Info

Discussion started on

BERRY-BRO

Ok, here's a little secret that some of you may already know. When we bring wood into our retail yard it comes cut to lenght but not split. We process tons of wood year 'round. As we split and sort the wood for sizes, anything that isn't a PRETTY split log goes into a separate pile. I call this pile our CHUNK pile (not junk!). Most of the pieces in the Chunk pile are Knots and Crotch sections, these are denser and harder than the straight pieces! We keep the different cooking wood types separate from one another so there are usually several piles accumulating here. The secret is this: if you ask for the Cooking Chunks you will save almost 50% and get a better product for your smoker or grill, plus you can pick your sizes and mix 'n match flavors too! If you forget all this, just let me know you want cooking wood and I'll recommend it anyway!
A WOOD tip for the day: The woody stalk of a Rose Bush can be used in a smoker for a great flavor, Apple is in the Rose family and the old, hard, woody part of a rose bush gives an almost identical flavor as Apple.
Should I post this stuff somewhere else? Thomas
#1 - July 18, 2006, 12:55:28 pm
Wood for BBQs, Smokers, Grills, Pizza Ovens...ETC.

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Thomas,

I put it in the BBQ Discussion section.  This way it is easier for everyone to find.

That is really great info, I will make sure to get some of it when I am in next time.

That is exactly the type of info and suggestions we appreciate here, anytime you have anything like this, any specials, extra stock or whatever, just jump in here and post it, I'm sure we have plenty of members who will jump at the opportunities.

Thanks..  ;)
#2 - July 18, 2006, 01:04:18 pm
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

bearbonez

How big are the cooking chunks? reason i ask is the new pit (on way still....long story) is strictly wood burning. I can't use charcoal for heat and wood just for flavor.
#3 - July 18, 2006, 07:00:01 pm
David "Bear" Nunley

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Bear, really???? You can't even use Lump Charcoal for cooking??
#4 - July 18, 2006, 07:58:36 pm
Michael J. Reimann

Tex A Que

What is the address of the yard?
I need to make a trip your way this weekend to stock up...

p
#5 - July 18, 2006, 08:14:37 pm
What'cha been smoke'n

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Here is their info:

Berry Bros Firewood

5317 E Washington St

Phoenix 85034 - 2129

(602) 244-1422

Here is their ad...

[attachment deleted by admin]
#6 - July 18, 2006, 08:17:02 pm
Michael J. Reimann

bearbonez

Bear, really???? You can't even use Lump Charcoal for cooking??

Not recommended. I have asked about that awhile ago on the gator pit forum. All the gator owners including Ritch says to use straight wood in the pits.
#7 - July 19, 2006, 07:04:26 am
David "Bear" Nunley

BERRY-BRO

Thank you for posting the info Mike!
Some more information for anyone wanting to come get wood. It's summer time and we are on summer hours. I personally am in the office Mon-Fri from 7AM till 2PM. I don't load wood however.
If you would like us to load your wood you must get here between 8AM and 11AM Mon-Sat.
If you want to get as much as a truck load we price it so you save money if you load your own.
As far as the chunk sizes go, we typically have all sizes available, fist size on up....if you have a small upright water smoker and you can only use tiny stuff, we have that also, but you bag your own, flavor or wood type doesn't matter. Most of our cooking wood sacks run $15 each, they are 2' X 3' and weigh approx. 50+ lbs. The wild Hickory I am bringing in from Missouri and Arkansas right now and it's costing me $600 per cord to get it here so a sack of it runs $40 right now. If you bag your own wood (any cooking type or size except Wild Hickory) it will cost $15, we provide bags.
#8 - July 19, 2006, 07:24:19 am

BERRY-BRO

SPECIALS for AZBBQ members only!!!!
When you come in to buy wood from us you MUST mention AZBBQ and I will discount any purchase by at least 10%!!!
Bulk Chunk Wood loads will get a larger discount!
I will post our rates and AZBBQ member discounts if you would like me to or just call me at 602-244-1422, Thanks, Thomas
#9 - July 19, 2006, 07:40:20 am

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Thomas,  WOW, that's fantastic,  Thanks.  I'm sure everyone here will greatly appreciate that offer....

Guys, jump on this offer and make sure to let Thomas know that you are from here.
#10 - July 19, 2006, 07:46:12 am
Michael J. Reimann

Griln4u

Thomas, I'm from here!
#11 - July 19, 2006, 07:53:39 am

ron b

jeez was just there last week lol...... great offer. be there friday again ;)
#12 - July 19, 2006, 09:12:33 am
wwww.jncentertainmentservices.com

bearbonez

Thanks for offering us the deals.
#13 - July 19, 2006, 06:50:22 pm
David "Bear" Nunley

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Thomas,

I need to come in and get 10 of your big bags of wood for our Annual Guys Camping Trip.  Would like to get something that burns for a while and smells great.  This will be for a campfire, not in a smoker.  I will also be coming in to load up our smoker with wood when we pick it up probably in about 2 weeks from now.

What kind of notice do you need for the 10 bags?  What kind of wood do you recommend?  If possible, I would like to pick the 10 bags up next week sometime.

Thanks again for all your help and support.  Looking forward to seeing you again when I am in.

Mike
#14 - July 21, 2006, 08:49:31 am
Michael J. Reimann

BERRY-BRO

Hi Mike,
I recommend our camping special! Shaggy Juniper is one of the best smelling woods you could get, it burns longer than All soft woods and even alot of the hard woods. PLUS it costs the least.
One sack (three times the size of a Circle K bag!!!) runs $8 tax included. We sell 4 for $30 and in your case it would be 10 sacks for $75 less 10% for a total of $67.50 out the door. Each sack will give you a 6-10 hour burn in a normal campfire, (NOT BONFIRE!!!!). Thanks again and give me a call the day before and I'll make sure you'll be set up! 602-244-1422 7....AM-2PM
Thomas
#15 - July 21, 2006, 09:16:59 am

Members: