AZ Barbeque.com

Wicked Good

Discussion started on

ChrisB

I stopped by my home away from home last night (BBQ Island) and bought a bag of the newly arrived Wicked Good charcoal.  I am looking forward to cooking a brisket tomorrow on it (and watching Jones smash Evans at UFC 145).  I will post back the results (of the BBQ, not the fight)
#1 - April 20, 2012, 12:41:30 pm

bearbonez

Curious to see what you think. I haven't been able to find any in my area. Closest source is about 3 hours away, but I am going to be making a drive that soon anyway.
#2 - June 08, 2012, 03:31:24 am
David "Bear" Nunley

ChrisB

I'm sorry, I thought I posted a write up but maybe I didn't.

Anyway, here it goes again.  I was pretty pleased with Wicked Good, was it that much better than the other lump I was using (Good One) to support the premium...maybe not.

Pros:  Many big chucks.  It seemed to burn a little longer than the Good One but I have no hard evidence to support that.

Cons: Price, was $8 more than Good One and flare ups.  I have cooked two bags of Wicked Good and in every cook I have had the temps run away from me (twice during manual control and once under BBQ Guru control).  I don't believe I have had that problem with the Good One.

I still cook with Wicked Good every now and then but I prefer the Good One.

disclaimer:  I am a relative new cook and do not pretend to know what I am talking about.  These are just my opinions, I would love to hear from any more experienced cooks on this topic.

#3 - June 08, 2012, 10:08:37 pm

BBQ ISLAND

The Wicked Good has been selling pretty well, they are a lot denser pieces and the bags are 22lbs instead of the standard 20lb. The shipping cost kill us on the bags coming in from Boston Area but it seems like everyone is 29.99-39.99 a bag around the country which is high in my mind. i have used it and the results have been great-customer response has been very positive.
#4 - June 18, 2012, 08:59:55 am
BBQ ISLAND

AzScott

I've been using Wicked Good exclusively in my Eggs for the past 3 years.  I love the stuff for long cooks and the only complaint I have is it doesn't light as quickly as Royal Oak.  If I had a smoker that used all of the charcoal each cook I don't think I'd use it but in an Egg where half a bag can last me 8 cooks I'm more than good with it.
#5 - June 18, 2012, 01:37:23 pm
14' R&O offset
FEC 100
3 L BGE's
1 Mini BGE

Competing since July 2010

Members: