AZ Barbeque.com

Why Kingsford??

Discussion started on

Lizard333

I must be missing something here.....

I have been smoking and cooking for the last ten or twelve years and have only tried Brickets a couple of times.  The few time that I did use them, I could taste something funny in the meat.  And I know what you are thinking, the idiot used lighter fluid.  Thats not it.  I have always used a chimney.  I see people talking about what a great deal Home Depot has right now, and was wondering what you all were using it for??  Surely it doesn't make great BBQ??  Just my thoughts.  I have always used either chunk charcoal, oak or mesquite, or logs or chunks of pecan or mesquite or oak as fuel while either grilling or smoking. 

I am missing something??  I don't want to offend anyone, just looking for some answers.  Thanks.
#1 - May 27, 2009, 02:02:43 pm
Bueller... Bueller...  Bueller..........

Crash

I use K to cook and wood chunks for the smoke.  I swear by the stuff. 

As for K not making good BBQ, well I'd have to respectfully disagree with that.  Everyone has their preferences, and Blue Bag K is just what works for us.

#2 - May 27, 2009, 02:19:44 pm
I love animals.  They're delicious!
VRM Pit Crew

jim

Wood in the offset --- stay up all night watching the temp gauge - no sleep
K in the WSM --- light it -- up to temp -- go to bed
Lighter fluid --carry it with us to every contest - it's good luck -- liquid mojo.
Still chasing ----
jim
#3 - May 27, 2009, 02:53:50 pm

Jaybird

It's because Kingsford is the best briquettes we can get out here. We don't have Duraflame, Royal Oak or anything like that. I have used Kingsford for competition for 9 years now and along with wood chunks, I can say it does make good bbq.
I have used lump many many times but find that my way of cooking and the cookers that I use requires precise heat control. I do not get that with lump. It spikes in temp too much for my liking.

Course I now have a pallet full of Wicked Good briquettes that I like very much.  Costs twice as much as Kingsford but....
#4 - May 27, 2009, 03:06:06 pm

VisionQuest220

If there were statistics for something like this available, my guess would be that more Grand Championships, Reserve Grand Championships and 1st Place calls in each category have been won using Kingsford than any other brand or type of fuel combined.

I use it for the same reasons that Jay outlined in his post above.
#5 - May 27, 2009, 05:29:49 pm
http://www.rhythmnque.com
The All-WSM Championship Barbeque Team
2008 & 2009 CBBQA Team of the Year

Quiggs

Me too, tried Royal Oak the first two comps and got tired of messing with vents all the time, first to hot then to cold and all burnt up!?!
#6 - May 27, 2009, 08:09:36 pm
Quiggs@AZBarbeque.com
Smokin Dead Meat BBQ
Born on Date 4-18-08
WSM, 22" WSM, Offset, UDS, Pro Q, Couple of Weber Golds, Bradley & Gas Burner.
www.smokinbbq.piczo.com
KCBS member & judge # 51659 of questionable standing

force

Has anyone used ONO charcoal..... I know some have used it in green eggs...... I have it but haven't tried it....... it burns really hot...... I've been told......
#7 - May 27, 2009, 09:43:50 pm
Huge Fan of Mike (AZBarbeque)... He's My Hero..

Lizard333

So as I see it, you are mainly using charcoal brickets as your primary heat source, and smaller chuncks of wood as a "smoke" source??  Am I understanding this correctly??

Maybe it just the size of my smoker, I have a Lang 84, but I cannot see using that much "K" to heat that beast.  Any other Large smokers out there use "K"??  Am I missing the boat here?  Have I been using cords of pecan, oak, and mesquite all these years, when I could have been using K"?? I have very precise heat control with my Lang.  I usally only check it about once an hour, after it gets going.  You guys are telling me that you can walk away all night!?!?! 

Are there those that are using the "K", just using smaller smokers and cookers??  When I usally BBQ, it is for a large croud, a minumum of 40 to 50 people, most of the time a lot more than that.
#8 - May 28, 2009, 07:26:26 am
Bueller... Bueller...  Bueller..........

toys4dlr

Vince uses 4 to 6 WSM's for the Comps and Jay uses 2 WSM's and 2 BDS.  And yes, once the temps are stable and dialed in, they go for a long time.  Attach to a Stoker and it is cruise control.

#9 - May 28, 2009, 08:10:05 am
Toys 4 BBQ'N
Competition BBQ Team - Anthem, Arizona

Comfort is King with our team

Q-TO-U-BBQ, Anthem AZ
North Valley Magazine's Reader's Choice Best BBQ for 2010 and 2011

BBQCZAR

Vince uses 4 to 6 WSM's for the Comps and Jay uses 2 WSM's and 2 BDS.  And yes, once the temps are stable and dialed in, they go for a long time.  Attach to a Stoker and it is cruise control.

No,no,no,you mean attach a Digi-Q II and then it truly is on cruise control  ;D ;D ;D
#10 - May 28, 2009, 08:16:57 am
www.thebbqbullies.com
www.azvideoelectronics.com

BBQ Bullies competition barbeque team

Jaybird

I've had several big stickburners including a Lang 84. I did not use briquettes in those cookers. I used lump and wood only like you do. Briquettes burn up too fast in big stickburners. They are best suited for smaller cookers which is what most competition teams here use.

With a WSM, cooking in the valley weather, at steady temps, I can get 27+ hours of burn time without reloading more charcoal. At a comp I can usually get about 7 hours of sleep....more if I went to sleep earlier. That is why we use briquettes.

And I don't use them fancy blowers and DigiQ-dads. Why make such a simple thing harder. I wake up every couple hours or so to check temp.....These guys wake up to make sure their gadgets are still workin!!
#11 - May 28, 2009, 08:27:42 am
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 08:30:41 am by Jaybird »

ron b

great topic !!! with the obvious large cookers need more fuel so %100 wood makes sense. but me just using wsm's and my new pro q using k with chunks works great i do not use many gadgets other than hmmm ya it looks done  :P  honestly it is hard to trust any of them new fangled gadgets always a temp difference 5-10 deg depending on unit which is the difference between oops or 1st place.my question and i am sure i will get beat up for but whats with the electric/pellet cookers 1/2 the fun is mastering the fire . not that i condem them but is it just the ease of it? or do they actually cook better or different?

don't hit me in the face please!
rjb
#12 - May 28, 2009, 10:49:06 am
wwww.jncentertainmentservices.com

Crash

great topic !!! with the obvious large cookers need more fuel so %100 wood makes sense. but me just using wsm's and my new pro q using k with chunks works great i do not use many gadgets other than hmmm ya it looks done  :P  honestly it is hard to trust any of them new fangled gadgets always a temp difference 5-10 deg depending on unit which is the difference between oops or 1st place.my question and i am sure i will get beat up for but whats with the electric/pellet cookers 1/2 the fun is mastering the fire . not that i condem them but is it just the ease of it? or do they actually cook better or different?

don't hit me in the face please!
rjb

In my opinion, the pellet cookers cook at a very, very consistent temp.
#13 - May 28, 2009, 10:56:27 am
I love animals.  They're delicious!
VRM Pit Crew

ron b

i do agree i have had the privilage of cooking with one. found it easy to use  but guess im old school i like fire tending. makes me feel like i am actualy doing something.

dang now i have to go start a fire see what you guys did

rjb
#14 - May 28, 2009, 11:07:08 am
wwww.jncentertainmentservices.com

VisionQuest220

And I don't use them fancy blowers and DigiQ-dads. Why make such a simple thing harder. I wake up every couple hours or so to check temp.....These guys wake up to make sure their gadgets are still workin!!

Jay, you're a Renaissance man!
#15 - May 28, 2009, 11:09:27 am
http://www.rhythmnque.com
The All-WSM Championship Barbeque Team
2008 & 2009 CBBQA Team of the Year

Members: