AZ Barbeque.com

Texas ebony

Discussion started on

kochese

Has anybody ever cooked with Texas ebony? Just cut down a tree and have a load of wood.
#1 - February 01, 2012, 04:26:34 pm
Kochese

Mark

I Have a Texas ebony tree, but never thought to try smoking with it. But I found this info online:

:-X Texas mountain laurel: entire plant is poisonous. It forms a seedpod that contains red, round beans by late summer. The beans cause hallucinations at low levels. The beans are also very poisonous if the alkaloids within are released. The same seed coating that protect the seed from drought, however, will allow it to be swallowed and pass through our bodies without harm, in most cases.)
#2 - February 01, 2012, 07:36:00 pm
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

route66

I Have a Texas ebony tree, but never thought to try smoking with it. But I found this info online:

:-X Texas mountain laurel: entire plant is poisonous. It forms a seedpod that contains red, round beans by late summer. The beans cause hallucinations at low levels. The beans are also very poisonous if the alkaloids within are released. The same seed coating that protect the seed from drought, however, will allow it to be swallowed and pass through our bodies without harm, in most cases.)

Hallucinations! Is that a problem?  ::)
#3 - February 01, 2012, 10:18:43 pm

Mark

I know. I kinda read it as a side benefit. 8)
#4 - February 02, 2012, 08:05:31 am
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

jmcrig

Asked your question on a couple of other boards, and it appears the most anyone knows of it is what you can Google. No responces from anyone that has cooked with it.
#5 - February 02, 2012, 09:40:43 am

Mark

Mebbe its cuz thair daid. :-X ;)
#6 - February 02, 2012, 10:59:06 am
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

kochese

Actually the the bean and the pods are edible and can be ground up as a flour or used as a coffee like beverage. Texas mountain laurel is a different plant. I've also found out that  some of the Mexican chunk charcoals have Texas ebony in it.  This from some Texas BBQ folks. If that is so, then you should be able to smoke with it. I was just wondering what kind of flavor it would impart. It is two or three times denser than mesquite.
#7 - February 02, 2012, 03:50:33 pm
Kochese

jmcrig

One of the boards I posted it on was the Texas BBQ Forum. There were no positive replys. They also put nuts, bolts, and washers in Mexican Lump. If you try it, let everyone know. Maybe you've found the next hot ticket.
#8 - February 02, 2012, 04:47:18 pm

kochese

It will have to season for awhile. Then we'll give 'er a go and try it on the dog.
#9 - February 02, 2012, 08:02:26 pm
Kochese

jmcrig

Here's a link to some information about. And with what you said about the Mexican lump, I really have no reason to use it.

http://www.public.asu.edu/~camartin/plants/Plant%20html%20files/ebenopsisebano.html
#10 - February 03, 2012, 04:59:42 am

azkitch

It will have to season for awhile. Then we'll give 'er a go and try it on the dog.
Is it a large dog, or small one? How far from the heat will the dog be? Constant temps are especially important for small breeds like shitzoos...
sorry. Couldn't help it...
#11 - February 03, 2012, 07:47:27 am
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

PAT YOUNG

DAVE, My next door neighbors shitzoo came over and mated with my bulldog and now i have a bunch of bullshit puppies running around!
#12 - February 04, 2012, 05:45:59 am

kochese

You guys sure like to wander. We went from wood to cookin' dogs to bullshit pups. How do you stay focused enough to cook brisket? I suppose if you drink enough you won't wander to far.
#13 - February 04, 2012, 03:25:58 pm
Kochese

route66

:D :D :D
#14 - February 05, 2012, 01:00:32 pm

azkitch

You guys sure like to wander. We went from wood to cookin' dogs to bullshit pups. How do you stay focused enough to cook brisket? I suppose if you drink enough you won't wander to far.
My apologies..I started it.   :-[   And besides, once you start brisket, you have a few spare hours...
I lived in Abilene, TX for 5 years, and I've never heard of Texas ebony. And unfortunately, I didn't discover this smokin' meat business back then. Wish I had!!
#15 - February 05, 2012, 11:48:18 pm
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

Members: