AZ Barbeque.com

smoking with wood

Discussion started on

Tempe BBQER

I have always used charcoal and wood chips or chunks, but I picked up some hickory wood last week and gave it a try.. worked pretty good.. I have been using my old water smoker and my weber grill.. Can I use wood with these two?  Not sure if there are any special hints etc.
I just dont want it to be to much smoke.. Any advice will work.
Thanks
#1 - April 06, 2009, 09:52:14 pm

toys4dlr

Hickory can be pretty strong, if you are just burning it in the style of cookers you have.  Burning whole logs is more meant for a stick burning offset.  I would guess that in your water smoker (Brinkman I am guessing) and the kettle, it would over power the food. 

If you like, try it on some cheap chicken legs or thighs, if it works great if not did not cost much. 

#2 - April 07, 2009, 07:43:19 am
Toys 4 BBQ'N
Competition BBQ Team - Anthem, Arizona

Comfort is King with our team

Q-TO-U-BBQ, Anthem AZ
North Valley Magazine's Reader's Choice Best BBQ for 2010 and 2011

Tempe BBQER

Thanks for the reply, that's what I was thinking and why I asked.  Still new at this and want to try new things, I did a couple racks of ribs and they came out pretty good  :)  Used a new rub that was maybe a bit to much on them, and was not 100% sure if it was the rub or the wood.  Had some friends try them and they liked so must have been half way decent  :) maybe I just need to tinker with it and see what happens.  I also did not use a lot of wood just one small log.
Again thanks for the input
#3 - April 07, 2009, 08:48:23 am

azkitch

With those smallish cookers, all research points to charcoal, preferrably not K-Blue (Cousin Crystal's Chemistry Kit...) and smallish chunks for the flavor. That's how I try to approach w/offset SnP--every time I try to use more wood, I get creosote city...
dk
#4 - April 07, 2009, 09:30:40 am
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

BERRY-BRO

Creosote typically means you are choking the heck out of the oxygen supply, ALL cooking wood has creosote, well seasoned hardwoods (Nut or Fruit trees) have the least, I would say practice makes perfect with wood, everything matters, humidity, prevailing winds or breeze, air intake setting and the exhaust...all matter in wood cooking.
#5 - April 22, 2009, 12:33:35 pm
Wood for BBQs, Smokers, Grills, Pizza Ovens...ETC.

jim

Berry -- when we use our large offset we do not choke the exhaust at all, we run it wide open. We control the temp with the intakes and we run a GURU, the perfect color is a clear blue when it's all perfect.
jim
#6 - April 22, 2009, 01:39:20 pm

KidCurry

maybe I just need to tinker with it and see what happens. 

Exactly right!   

I like to use charcoal smallish chunks of wood, easier to deal with in a small water smoker/WSM/UDS/small offset, I think.  If I want more smoke flavor I just add more chunks!

I always run the exhaust wide open also, when I try to close it bad things seems to happen. :(
#7 - April 22, 2009, 02:34:37 pm
KidCurry@AZBarbeque.com
KCBS CBJ
Mike boils his ribs....pass it on.

hillbille

:o When I read the title of this  thread, I can't help but  think about women in bikinis running around while I'm BBQ'ing.
#8 - April 22, 2009, 07:59:04 pm
bbq newby

desertdog

:o When I read the title of this  thread, I can't help but  think about women in bikinis running around while I'm BBQ'ing.

;D ;D ;D ;D
#9 - April 22, 2009, 08:24:44 pm
Pitmaster for Ship of Fools, er...Major Woody's BBQ Team
Beer Ambassador -currently doing research in assorted Bavarian Villages

force

Post those pictures......
#10 - April 22, 2009, 10:09:18 pm
Huge Fan of Mike (AZBarbeque)... He's My Hero..

BERRY-BRO

I am talking about choking the intake, never the exhaust.....Creosote comes from the fallout smoke leaves behind, period! It may mean your wood is too green or is oxygen starved or a combo, some people have used the wrong types of wood. Does your smoke have to travel a fair distance before the exhaust? The further it goes the cooler it gets before coming out the stack, as it cools down it will drop microscopic particulates on the meat, these culminate into a somewhat greasy, black, bitter tasting outer layer....if this is the case I suggest lightly covering the meat with foil, NOT wrapping, and see if that improves the problem. You will find whatever is deposited on the foil would have gone right on your meat being smoked, we all want a little but too much is no good! Cover the meat after an initial smoke of 1/2 hour to an hour, play with it until you get it right for your tastes, good luck!!! Thomas
#11 - April 24, 2009, 01:06:47 pm
Wood for BBQs, Smokers, Grills, Pizza Ovens...ETC.

azkitch

Thanks, Thomas! Perhaps that is part of my problem! I have to close the intake to about 1/4 inch to get the SnP temps in the lower 200s...I've started using less charcoal, like starting with half a chimney instead of a full chimney. The new charcoal basket I'm making should help, too...BTW, I saw your lot from the 202 leaving work the other day...WOW! There's been some clear-cutting goin' on!! That's a large pile of wood there, sir!
Dave
#12 - April 25, 2009, 09:21:52 am
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

AZ SAUCE MAN

Just went out last week bought a brinkman with the side box used to have small brinkman wsd. Found the only problem with the smoker was 1 water pan dropped heat way down and after about 4 hours there is so much ash in fire box the heat starts to come down. Is there a way to use a wood log towards the middle of the cook to keep heat up for a couple of hours that wont and to much smoke to meat
#13 - April 27, 2009, 09:25:28 am
MAY EVERY BARBQUE BE TASTEY

azkitch

...and after about 4 hours there is so much ash in fire box the heat starts to come down. Is there a way to use a wood log towards the middle of the cook to keep heat up for a couple of hours that wont and to much smoke to meat
That's the nature of the "ECB", el cheapo Brinkmann. There are many forums with info on how to modify them. The charcoal bowl doesn't get the coals off the floor, so the ash just chokes them out like a good MMA fighter...you need a rack and ash catch and holes in the pan. The horizontal offset model can be greatly improved cheaply too. To read more about it, check out this thread; http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1943&highlight=project+brinkman This is an awesome explanation on why this is necessary, plus he increases useable area by about 80%!
I just took a 15" X 26" chunk of heavy--#9--expanded metal, bent 6" each end up as a new grate for mine. Pics are in the "Show us your smoker" thread.
#14 - April 27, 2009, 06:43:58 pm
CBJ # 53779

Tempe BBQER

I have been tinkering with the wood smoking, and it seems to be working.  I have now done several more racks of ribs, a brisket and a couple of butts.  They all came out pretty good.. not too much smoke.  I only use one maybe two small logs on top of the charcoal I put in there.  I am th epresident of the Dads club at my kids school and I have to smoke a couple of butts for a poker event this weekend that we are having.(have to raise some funds for campus improvements  :) )

So I have had some luck I guess, afer all I am only using a old brinkman water smoker and my weber grill.. Sill have to get me a bigger smoker or one of those drums.. Maybe soon  ;D
#15 - April 28, 2009, 09:09:21 am

Members: