AZ Barbeque.com

OAK?

Discussion started on

chrislamarque1

Ok, im smoking a 100lb pig this weekend and im on a limited budget. Got a real good deal on a bunch of oak chords that i had planned on using as my heat source, and some, but not a lot of charcoal. Now I know that oak is really strong so I had planned on burning it down to coals, and lining the bottom of my block pit with the smolders. Then as smoke using some hickory chunks and a few bags of applewood. This is my first pig but not my first bbq, im just eager to do it right. Got a lot of first timers comin to the party! Anyway, how does my idea sound?
#1 - June 17, 2009, 07:54:06 pm

Jaybird

I think you have it under control. You are right, oak can be very strong if not burned cleanly. Just be careful with your added smoke. Just don't overdo it. Good luck, I think you'll be just fine.

So you are doing this on a cinderblock pit?
#2 - June 17, 2009, 08:47:12 pm

chrislamarque1

Yeah its a cinderblock pit two blocks high, three foot by five foot. I was actually wondering if its high enough. I saw some pics of one that was at least three or four high. Originally I was gonna rent a pit but finances got in the way, couldn't afford the pit and wood! So I dug up the block from a river bank and bought wood. Im actually used to smoking on a trash can smoker, but if this works well I may have another favorite.
#3 - June 18, 2009, 05:28:24 am

Lizard333

Having done a  few pigs my self, I wouldn't worry to much about over smoking your tasty little friend with oak.  I have found that this slow smoking proccess does not make for the skin being very edible, as it doesn't get very crispy.  So any over smoking is going to be mostly left in the skin, and not eatin anyway.  You are going to have a hard enough time keeping everything at temp as it is, I wouldn't worry about "over" smoking it.  You will be just fine.  Make sure to take lots of pics!!
#4 - June 18, 2009, 06:50:23 am
Bueller... Bueller...  Bueller..........

force

ARE you doing it whole or butterfly?
#5 - June 18, 2009, 09:16:58 pm
Huge Fan of Mike (AZBarbeque)... He's My Hero..

chrislamarque1

To tell you the truth its about 7 am, gettin ready to go pick up my pig and still not sure which way ill do it. I figured I have a few hours to figure it out. Ill let you guys know. Ill prob be on and off this site most of the day checkin out tips.
#6 - June 19, 2009, 04:26:13 am

azcolt45

on a cinder block pit only 2 blocks high, I would have to go with the butterflied pig.  Direct coals will not let you last long enough to do it whole and get it tender.
#7 - June 19, 2009, 07:27:19 am
Trailer mounted Custom offset stick burner
XL BIG GREEN EGG
BIG Stainless Gasser
5' Square fire pit w/grates 
Commercial WOK
KCBS CBJ #53767

Beauty is in the eye of the "beer holder"

chrislamarque1

I went with whole, sewed up with some apple juice, pineapple, apples onions and garlic. Rubbed all the inside down and covered it with some stubbs moppin sauce. I ended up goin three high but only so I could cover the pig. Im using indirect heat coals lined up on each side. Im realizing the influence of the weather. The other day I did a test burn with some of the wood, and it burned really slow. Had rained so it was humid, today it was almost ninety degrees and my fuel has been burning like crazy. Not sure how long I can go with what I have. Its been on for about six hours now and im tryin to push it to tomorrow. Ill let yall know how it goes.
#8 - June 19, 2009, 07:04:26 pm

bearbonez

Sounds like the roast went well. I use oak almost exclusively in my stick burner...especially since that is what's available in my neck of the woods. Never had any problems with it or overpowering flavors.
#9 - June 23, 2009, 09:15:06 am
David "Bear" Nunley

chrislamarque1

It did go pretty well. The skin was unedible but everything else was good. It was wierd though, kinda tasted a little like turkey. Now im tryin to figure out what to do with leftovers. Either way it was my first pig, I learned a lot and I know next time will be even better.
#10 - June 23, 2009, 09:46:33 am

Jaybird

I love oak...as long as you got a clean fire you're ok.
#11 - June 23, 2009, 09:52:37 am

Members: