AZ Barbeque.com

New Section Added.. BBQ Fuel Discussion - Charcoal, Lump, Pellets, Wood & Gas

Discussion started on

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Hey all, in case you have not seen it yet, we created a new section today for BBQ Fuel Discussions.

We saw that there have been enough posts lately to justify having it's own section.  This way, it makes it easier for people to find the info.

Hope you enjoy the new section and we look forward to seeing all of your posts on BBQ Fuel..  ;)
#1 - June 01, 2009, 12:03:35 am
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

Crash

Great idea.  There has been a lot of discussion about fuel lately so this makes perfect sense.
#2 - June 01, 2009, 12:06:21 am
I love animals.  They're delicious!
VRM Pit Crew

Quiggs

Thought we should put this out there again for those who have not been there....  http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lump.htm

I think these guys pretty much live charcoal..
#3 - June 01, 2009, 07:58:29 am
Quiggs@AZBarbeque.com
Smokin Dead Meat BBQ
Born on Date 4-18-08
WSM, 22" WSM, Offset, UDS, Pro Q, Couple of Weber Golds, Bradley & Gas Burner.
www.smokinbbq.piczo.com
KCBS member & judge # 51659 of questionable standing

force

A smoking topic......
#4 - June 01, 2009, 10:23:08 pm
Huge Fan of Mike (AZBarbeque)... He's My Hero..

steakhouse25

I'm so glad this is on here as I have been trying to figure out what fuel I want to use and how much to use with this new smoker I got on post the other day. My old one was lost in my divorce so I grabbed a Charbroil Silver Smoker, so far I like it well enough, needs a little modification I think though. Now just to get the fuel thing all figured out... ::)
#5 - November 18, 2009, 03:39:03 pm
To grill, or not to grill, who am I kidding, there is NO question!

JBHalos

Okay, so the JB Halos mom and pop BBQ team have been practicing, timing, tasting for the HAVABBQ competition for the last three weekends.  Our first 'New B' competition and today we find out we can't use our propane smoker??  I logged onto the KCBS site, but cannot find information about this...can anybody verify?

Thanks,
JB Halos 'panicking slightly and almost stressed'  LOL
 ???
#6 - February 20, 2010, 04:35:35 pm

Crash

Okay, so the JB Halos mom and pop BBQ team have been practicing, timing, tasting for the HAVABBQ competition for the last three weekends.  Our first 'New B' competition and today we find out we can't use our propane smoker??  I logged onto the KCBS site, but cannot find information about this...can anybody verify?

Thanks,
JB Halos 'panicking slightly and almost stressed'  LOL
 ???

You read correctly, you can only cook on wood or charcoal.  No gas is allowed for cooking food in KCBS competitions.

From the KCBS website:
Rule 6) "Fires shall be of wood, wood pellets or charcoal.  Gas and electric heat sources shall not be permitted for cooking or holding. Propane or electric is permitted as fire starters, provided that the competition meat is not in/on the cooking device. Electrical accessories such as spits, augers, or forced draft are permitted. No open pits or holes are permitted, except at the election of the contest organizer.  Fires shall not be built on the ground."

You can view all of the KCBS rules by clicking the 2nd download here>>>> http://kcbs.us/downloads.php
#7 - February 20, 2010, 05:01:56 pm
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 05:23:19 pm by Crash »
I love animals.  They're delicious!
VRM Pit Crew

toys4dlr

Sorry, but it sounds like a quick trip to BBQ Island will fix this or a quick build of a UDS to cook on and you will be ready for the HavaBBQ
#8 - February 21, 2010, 08:48:18 am
Toys 4 BBQ'N
Competition BBQ Team - Anthem, Arizona

Comfort is King with our team

Q-TO-U-BBQ, Anthem AZ
North Valley Magazine's Reader's Choice Best BBQ for 2010 and 2011

chas

Kcbs rule 6 covers the type of fuel that you can use. I think that gas should be allowed. You have to be a KCBS member to access down loads and other information.
#9 - June 18, 2010, 07:18:27 pm

Mark

As the rules state, propane can only be used to start a fire, but not provide the cooking heat. Electricity can be used with pellet cookers because the electricity doesn't provide the heat. It runs the auger that poops out the pellets that burn to provide the heat. Kinda like guns don't kill people. It's the trigger that fires the bullet that kills people...or something like that. ;) I kill meat, whether I'm using charcoal, propane or the oven.
#10 - June 18, 2010, 08:37:07 pm
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

BigKen

Looking at the masterbuilt xl.  never used a gas smoker.  How long will a full 20 lb tank last?  Where can I find a bigger tank?
#11 - April 04, 2011, 07:11:30 pm
Big Ken

seacus

A friend makes fun of us because we used mesquite and pecan wood.  He says that's not realy BBQ!!  Now I am from AZ, and it make perfect sense to use local hardwoods.  What do you guys think?? 
#12 - April 04, 2011, 09:33:42 pm

richoso12

I own a GOSM big block (gasser), and I use a combo of RO lump and hardwood chunks. It's all good my friend.
#13 - April 05, 2011, 08:05:39 pm
GOSM big block, Weber 22.5 in one touch, AMZN cold smoker. I Grow NM Heritage 6-4, NM Jalmundo, NM Vaquero, Poblano,Serrano Tampiqueno. Habaneros are Orange, Antilla, Bondo Ma Jacque, and Red Savina. I use mesquite, cherry, apple, alder, and red oak chunks.

azkitch

A friend makes fun of us because we used mesquite and pecan wood.  He says that's not realy BBQ!!  Now I am from AZ, and it make perfect sense to use local hardwoods.  What do you guys think?? 
Eh? If it takes many hours for cooking to complete, and cooking is flavored with woodsmoke, that's BBQ. I don' give a poop if it's solar or nuclear (nukyaler) powered. Tell 'em to put their brisket where their mouth is!
#14 - April 06, 2011, 07:59:59 pm
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

Mark

Mesquite and pecan? Sounds like two tasty smokewoods to me! What does your friend recommend? Duraflame and ZigZag? 8)
#15 - April 06, 2011, 09:10:49 pm
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

Members: