AZ Barbeque.com

Looking for wood/chunks in prescott

Discussion started on

GOODolBOY

HELP, Please. I'm looking for a local source if possible. I have 15lbs+ of red Japs, Chilipenos, and sweet chili peppers i need to get in the smoker ASAP. I'm a BIG pecan chunk smoker. Ill usually mix in a lil apple or cherry if i have it. To date i usually just use the Weber bagged chunks from true value but they are ALL OUT. And i pretty much used it all up in my last pepper smoke-a-thon and don't have enough to do this last batch. I have Googled everything i can think of without much luck to find another store up here in Prescott. If any one here can refer me to a good place i would be indebted to you. Thanks.
#1 - October 29, 2011, 08:21:28 pm

Crash

Not a local source, but you might consider Berry Bros. next time your in Phx. 

We get our wood from fruitawoodchunks.com and it easily the best deal that we have found anywhere.  Try the peach and tell them Crash sent you.
#2 - October 30, 2011, 02:23:32 am
I love animals.  They're delicious!
VRM Pit Crew

Mark

Look under firewood suppliers. They're likely to have some oak. Most supermarkets carry smoking wood chips. So does Ace Hardware in PV and Chino. And I'm betting that brand new C-A-L Ranch Store on 1048 Willow Creek Road carries 'em. It sounds like a smaller version of a Cabela's and Bass Pro Shop, both of which carry smokewoods.
#3 - October 30, 2011, 08:55:35 am
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

GOODolBOY

Mark. I try to stay away from the chips. As odd as it sounds i feel i can control chunks better. And F%@# CAL Ranch. I went there looking for some canning supplies that were 30% off. Apparently i didn't read the fine print in the add "Sale prices do not apply to Prescott Store". So i told the supervisor Ill take my business down the road to True Value. Besides, True Value sends me 5$ off coupons all the time. Some with no min. purchase. Some ya gotta spend 10$. i have looked under FW suppliers. I either haven't heard back, number is disconnected, or all they carry is OAK/Mesquite.

Crash. Ill deff check out BB next time i venture down there. Thanks for the Fruity link. I'm salivating looking at all that delicious wood. :D That peach does look like something i didn't know i needed. But i didn't see any place to give em your name. Although i only added to cart to find out no shipping charges.

Thanks for the help fellas.
#4 - October 30, 2011, 09:21:17 am

GOODolBOY

SCORE!!!!  A firewood place up in Chino called me up the other day and told me they had a lil bit of Pecan left. So i raced up there and got this load for 20$

#5 - November 03, 2011, 12:29:28 pm

Mark

Nice looking wood, Lee. I'm glad you're all set. I just thought of another smoking medium when you're out of wood. Onions. You just plunk 'em atop your coals. It probably would be good for smoking peppers. (Full disclosure: I've never smoked with onions; just heard about it.)
#6 - November 03, 2011, 12:38:04 pm
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 12:41:13 pm by Mark »
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

GOODolBOY

Thanks Mark. I will definitely try Onions at some point. Probably like throwing some fresh Rosemary or other herbs right on the coals. I have used dried and then soaked corn cobs before with good results.
#7 - November 03, 2011, 04:07:11 pm

z98dog

I don't know about Prescott, but our local HD here in Scottsdale carries chunks of apple, cherry, mesquite, and hickory. Check your local big orange box for what they carry.

BTW, if you ever get South of Phoenix in the Pichacho peak area, there is a pecan farm that has piles of trimmings for free. Most of the limbs are about an inch or so thick, but you can find some that are up to six inches by a couple feet long. Of course you know how hard pecan is to split.
#8 - November 04, 2011, 10:38:40 pm
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 10:45:30 pm by z98dog »
Brinkman Vertical - NBBD offset Horizonal - Custom cold smoke generator - Kingsford Oval Kettle - Pitmaster iQue 110 stoker - Weber OTS Kettle - Customized gas Pizza grill - Mini WSM-style smoker - UDS

Members: