AZ Barbeque.com

Kingsford Competition Briquets

Discussion started on

jim

We recieved a bag of the KCB at Pueblo, Chibi a team for Colorado used it at Canon City and recieved a 3 on taste found out this info from Kingsford

Called Kingsford up. Got a nice lady to talk to. I asked her about the charcoal. She gave me a sales pitch and then I asked her about the quick light and the hotter burn. She said that the ingredants are propriatary. I told her I did not want the recipe just the facts. Says 100% natural on the bag. ((also has-ORM-D on the side)-that is haz mat code)She says that refers to the hard wood used to make it. So I asked about the binder. Starch. what about the quick light.. PETROLEUM DISTALATES!!(ORM-D) much like the Match Light they have. She asked if I let the coal go to ash before putting meat on. I tried to explain the whole 12 hour cook and that new charcoal gets added to keep temps up. she gave me the "OH". I also explained about the ruined meat. Tried to explain that they are marketing this to BBQers and it is clearly not for BBQ but for Grilling.
She took my name and number and said someone would be in contact with me.

Has anyone else noticed this?
jim
#1 - June 18, 2009, 01:41:29 pm

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Very interesting.  Did they ever get a call back??
#2 - June 18, 2009, 01:45:53 pm
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

BBQCZAR

I have read that same similar story 3 times on other forums.Kingsford uses a type of accellerant to make the briquettes burn hotter and faster,as Jim said,similar to matchlite crap.I would never use this stuff,I see no reason to ,especially with the added petroleum crap added to it.If I am going to use Kingsford,I will stick with the Blue Bag.I think these "competition briquettes will fade away from the BBQ scene.I think there should be a "use at your own risk" disclaimer for BBQ use. >:(
#3 - June 18, 2009, 02:14:42 pm
www.thebbqbullies.com
www.azvideoelectronics.com

BBQ Bullies competition barbeque team

jim

a little adder to this item --
Everyone talks about the tiny bit of ash left over --- it covers your meat if your not careful.

Pompey relived -- and were covered in ash ---
jim
#4 - June 18, 2009, 02:24:46 pm

ron b

interesting topic let us know the out come jim sounds like a marketing ploy to me im sure kingsfords profit margin has dropped a bit due to the outburst of different fuels in the market. considering if i am not mistaken they were number one in this feild but has broadend a bit since to 50's.

rjb
#5 - June 18, 2009, 02:52:17 pm
wwww.jncentertainmentservices.com

jim

Ron -- been to few contests and you see a lot of Blue K
I don't know if they will lose that market share with KCB, but they sure have the market covered on Blue K
When HD had there sale we stocked up 12 twin pac's ---
jim
#6 - June 18, 2009, 03:08:33 pm

smokewagonbbq

I posted on here on another thread about this stuff.  It burns like lava!  i can't see how anyone could use it for smoking.  I had temps at over 400 in my UDS for over an hour and half before I canned the idea and went back to my trusty royal oak...Never again.

WOW!! I think it burns much like lump in a UDS....it will slow and low if you have NO wind and keep the lid closed!  Once it gets enough air its off and running with no looking back.  As for taste I am with Dean, I have used a lot of different types of charcoal and aside from the Sams choice I tried (that stuff was terrible) have never really noticed much of a taste difference.   YMMV 

So is the thought that the KCOMP has this accellerant added to it that the and the regular K does not?  I did notice that the KCOMP smells better then the regular K when you start it in the chimney.
#7 - June 18, 2009, 08:00:30 pm
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 09:13:19 am by kidcurry73 »
Smoke Wagon Bar-B-Que, LLC
Fire Up the Pit...

desertdog

I have been using the K Comp since I got my 22 WSM.  Using water in my drip pan, the temps never exceed 260, and usually hovers around 235-240.  As for taste, I used it in the two comps I did this year, with no discernable low marks on taste that I could contribute to the charcoal. (Top ten in Brisket and Ribs at Stagecoach, top ten in ribs at Tempe).

I have used Royal Oak Bricketts lately because I can get it at my local Ace Hardware for 7 bucks for an 18 lb bag, whereas the K Comp is 8.5 bucks for a 12 lb bag at Home Depot.  The RO does take longer to heat up, and burns at a lower temp than the K Comp (10-15 degrees cooler), but I have adjusted my cook times with no problems.

I guess I need to break down and buy another 22 WSM, so that I can do some side by side comparisons, but I really cannot detect any off taste produced by the K Comp, which, according to the posts above, I should because I am using the minion method.

Maybe my palet is not as sophisticated, in which case I suppose I should give up judging.   :-\

#8 - June 19, 2009, 07:47:31 am
Pitmaster for Ship of Fools, er...Major Woody's BBQ Team
Beer Ambassador -currently doing research in assorted Bavarian Villages

KidCurry

WOW!! I think it burns much like lump in a UDS....it will slow and low if you have NO wind and keep the lid closed!  Once it gets enough air its off and running with no looking back.  As for taste I am with Dean, I have used a lot of different types of charcoal and aside from the Sams choice I tried (that stuff was terrible) have never really noticed much of a taste difference.   YMMV 

So is the thought that the KCOMP has this accelerants added to it that the and the regular K does not?  I did notice that the KCOMP smells better then the regular K when you start it in the chimney.
#9 - June 19, 2009, 09:14:17 am
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 09:42:40 am by kidcurry73 »
KidCurry@AZBarbeque.com
KCBS CBJ
Mike boils his ribs....pass it on.

KidCurry

I knew i remembered hearing this somewhere....

If you don't want this here remove it but...

On Greg Rempes radio show http://www.latalkradio.com/Greg.php  go to the feb 3 show and go forward to 37:19...He is talking to Eric Schuetzler (Kingford scientist) about the KCOMP and he states...no accelerants in the mix...
#10 - June 19, 2009, 09:39:46 am
KidCurry@AZBarbeque.com
KCBS CBJ

BBQCZAR

ORM-D right on the bag,and others have contacted Kingsford and they have confirmed that is has a petroleum based accelerant in it.I use lump in my WSM and have used kingsford blue,I like the lump better when using the Digi-Q unit.
#11 - June 19, 2009, 09:46:22 am
www.thebbqbullies.com
www.azvideoelectronics.com

BBQ Bullies competition barbeque team

KidCurry

I was just reporting what he said on the radio show....seems Kingsford needs to do better market research no matter what...give a hardwood charcoal with no to little fillers/no accelerants, no fuss no muss.  For me i am trying to find some of the new Coshell charcoal seems interesting.  http://coshellcharcoal.com/  but it seems allusive at this point.
#12 - June 19, 2009, 11:10:23 am
KidCurry@AZBarbeque.com
KCBS CBJ

PAT YOUNG

HAS ANYONE EVER COOKED WITH THE IRISH PEAT (THAT'S NOT WHAT SEAMUS PRODUCES!) BTW ERIN, HERCULES THE BBQ DOG ALTHOUGH NOT NATIONALLY KNOWN DOES HELP COOK SOME GREAT Q ! WE ARE MAKING UP SOME T-SHIRTS WITH HIS PICTURE AND THE CAPTION THAT SAY'S " HERCULES THE BBQ DOG SAY'S THAT STARVIN MARVIN'S BBQ TASTES TWICE AS GOOD AS A CAT TURD!) THERE'S A STORY BEHIND THAT, I WANT IT TO BE KNOWN THAT CONTRARY TO WHAT MY UNCLE JOHN SAY'S, WE DID NOT DROP LITTLE "PRESENTS" DOWN THE SMOKESTACKS OF OUR COMPETITORS IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT AT THE TAYLOR COMP. 3 YEARS AGO! I PROMISE!
#13 - June 19, 2009, 11:54:50 pm

Lizard333

This seems like us stick burners are doing all the right things.  I never have to worry about petroleum distillates in my hard Wood.  Heck, I don't even check ingredients!!!
#14 - June 25, 2009, 08:54:15 am
Bueller... Bueller...  Bueller..........

toys4dlr

Nope, the stick burners are just cutting down trees, slow growing trees and adding to the green house effect.  See it is easy to spin either side of this. 

I have a couple boxes of the Kamado Coconut Extruded Charcoal Briqs.  They are a pain to light, but once lit they but burn long, with I would say less than average ash.  The down side, is that the Kamado people are not that easy to work or buy from.  I bought these back in 05, when I first moved here.  They also later had some product issues, as the product sometimes was not fully dried. 

#15 - June 25, 2009, 10:04:06 am
Toys 4 BBQ'N
Competition BBQ Team - Anthem, Arizona

Comfort is King with our team

Q-TO-U-BBQ, Anthem AZ
North Valley Magazine's Reader's Choice Best BBQ for 2010 and 2011

Members: