AZ Barbeque.com

Favorite LUMP charcoal?

Discussion started on

DanMan

Well today was my first time with best of the west lump from smart and final, I am very pleased with it so far had the proq stoked at 225 all day no worries.  I was gonna toss my cell phone in there to see if it would pop and crack and make pretty colors like the cowboy lump >:D but did not have the heart to do it.
#46 - June 06, 2010, 06:33:51 pm

Harpo

I did my fist cook yesterday using Best Of The West and I must say I was pleased. It held around 275 all day, 10 Hours. Put in about 30 lbs and still looks like about 1/3 still in the fire box after shutting it down. The cost for the cook was about the same as I spend of pellets for my Traeger for the same cook. I was worried about the cost to fire up the big smoker but very happy. I know the big cooker tasted better, Used 2 Pecan, 1 Apple chunk and a hand full of Cherry pellets for the redder somke ring. I do have a couple of bag of the Good One Lump to try on a future cook.
#47 - August 15, 2010, 09:13:26 am
I don't eat vegetables. The meat I eat, eats vegetables.
Grill Dome Ceramic Smoker/Grill
FEC 100

richoso12

My fav lump is Royal Oak, made in the U.S.A. It's all good my friend.
#48 - February 18, 2011, 04:37:45 pm
GOSM big block, Weber 22.5 in one touch, AMZN cold smoker. I Grow NM Heritage 6-4, NM Jalmundo, NM Vaquero, Poblano,Serrano Tampiqueno. Habaneros are Orange, Antilla, Bondo Ma Jacque, and Red Savina. I use mesquite, cherry, apple, alder, and red oak chunks.

Laveen-BBQ

Been using the good one but tried the Ozark Oak which burned hotter so I did not have to use as much last night when I grilled some steaks.  Ozark will probably replace the Good One until I find something better.  Might have to try Diablo or the Smart and Final due to price for my next church cook.  Lump is the only way to go for me.
#49 - March 29, 2011, 08:52:12 am

bbqphx.com

My two cents:
I never use lump in the smoker, I've finally learned the WSM well enough on Kingsford blue bag and especially for competitions I want to eliminate as many variables as I possibly can.  Lump is inconsistent by it's nature, maybe I'll try it one day but it's still a work in progress to perfect the steady temp using briquettes for me anyway-I'm a slow learner...
Grilling is a whole other ball of wax and I've used several different brands of lump.  The Best of the West mesquite lump is cheap, but I found it really pops bad.  Ono is a good product but I'm a cheapskate and it's just a little out of my price range.  Cowboy is decent, and the Fry's store brand can be quite good, but I've also found some pretty bad bags with lots of melted plastic and uncarbonized pieces.
My favorite is/was Kingsford Charwood but I don't think they make it anymore.  Fry's was blowing it out last year so I hit every store in North Phoenix and probably bought ~25 bags at two bucks a pop.  I still got two in the shed :)
#50 - April 18, 2011, 04:36:54 pm
Tracy-Head Chef and Mad Scientist
Weber Ranch Kettle
Two Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5"
Old School Weber Performer circa 1998
FEC100
http://www.bbqphx.com
Find BBQPHX sauce at Hobe Meats, Bull Market and Brooksie's

Mike89t

I've been buying 20lb bags of Royal Oak for about $15 from Brooksies in Chandler.  I'm loving the stuff.  Good sized chunks and not a lot of trash for a great price.
#51 - August 17, 2012, 03:46:17 pm

Members: