AZ Barbeque.com

Favorite LUMP charcoal?

Discussion started on

smokinscott09

I have to say I am sold on lump. As it has been stated Briquettes have a lot of additives and binders. And for sure it produces much more ash.
#31 - January 15, 2010, 03:42:36 pm

skou

Guys, I use some generic (Shamrock Foods) brand of Mexican mesquite chunks.  We get them in at work, in ripped-up bags, cheap.  No, the employees FIGHT over them, the customers NEVER see them.  $7.99/40LBS.

Rob, I get them from work, if/when they come in.  Who cares if the bag is ripped?  I'm bringing it home in the bed of a truck, and, I can't use it in an un-opened bag anyways.

steve
#32 - January 15, 2010, 07:35:50 pm
Currently cooking with a newly built UDS,(thanks to Skouson, my brother) which is my current best smoker.  I've also got a Weber Performer, also from Sterling.  My brothers think I'm CRAZY.  (Strangely, they're right.)

chefrob

steve, do you work for shamrock or at a foodservice establishment?
#33 - January 15, 2010, 09:26:15 pm

skou

I work at a store that gets damaged or late dated products from a bunch of (mostly) grocery suppliers.  Think BigLots, or Grocery Outlet, but bigger.  Shamrock is just one of our suppliers.

steve
#34 - January 15, 2010, 10:08:17 pm
Currently cooking with a newly built UDS,(thanks to Skouson, my brother) which is my current best smoker.  I've also got a Weber Performer, also from Sterling.  My brothers think I'm CRAZY.  (Strangely, they're right.)

millie

I have been using Cowboy brand from Lowes for about six years and really like it.
I smoke in a Bar-b-Chef offset from Barbeque Galore and it burns just fine in it.
Happy smokin!
#35 - March 10, 2010, 11:09:09 am
TRAILER MOUNTED REVERSE FLOW OFFSET SMOKER
BARBEQUES GALORE "BAR-B-CHEF" OFFSET SMOKER
BRINKMAN UPRIGHT SMOKER
KINGSFORD KETTLE
BARBEQUES GALORE "COOK-ON" GAS GRILL

revgodless

So farmy favorite lump charcoal is this really cheap stuff from Fry's called Diablo. It's Mesquite, and when its getting hot it can pop, crackle and whistle a bit- pretty entertaining I think... But man.. for grillingor smoking, the stuff just keeps burning and burning... I used about eight ounces on an aussie setup, and I swear, three hours after I was done cooking, the coals were still hot enough to sear a steak Pittsburgh style...

I can't wait to get my Texas Pit smoker and use it...
#36 - April 14, 2010, 10:28:45 am
(480)636-6990
Promotions Department
Monotronics Security systems
AZ BBQer home owners get a $1500
system, installation, and activation for no charge.
Serving Phoenix and surrounding area

force

Love a steak pittsburg blue.........
#37 - April 15, 2010, 10:32:32 pm
Huge Fan of Mike (AZBarbeque)... He's My Hero..

azkitch

Karl, if you have Costco or Slam's Cub cards, they both carry 40# bags of lump. I do believe the stuff Costco, down @35th and IS, has is Diablo, for $10. About 6 of the Fry's bag for $3 more. Or Sam's or Smart and Final for Best of the West lump. Chunks the size of your thigh. Well, pretty close. Bust that stuff up while it's hot for an early 4th of July. Those are $14.27 or $15. respectively.
#38 - April 15, 2010, 11:10:36 pm
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

Laveen-BBQ

I usually use Kingsford but stopped by BBQ island this weekend and picked up some Good One Lump.  I will see if I like it and post a review later.
#39 - April 17, 2010, 11:51:15 pm

jmcrig

I usually use Kingsford but stopped by BBQ island this weekend and picked up some Good One Lump.  I will see if I like it and post a review later.
Kenny, it was great meeting you, and I think you'll enjoy the Good-One lump. ;D ;D
#40 - April 18, 2010, 06:31:37 am

smitty250

I've used the Good One Lump before. The last two bags I bought had a few big cement rocks in them weighing about 5lbs. each!! For the price I don't think you can beat the Sam's club or Smart & Final 40lb bag of Best of the West lump for around $15. I pretty much just use it for a bed of coals then add wood though.
#41 - April 19, 2010, 11:08:30 am
Loot N' Booty BBQ
2014 American Royal Invitational Chicken Champion
2014 American Royal Open Reserve Grand Champion
2016 Jack Daniels Invitational World Pork Champion
2014, 2015 and 2016 AZ BBQ Team of the Year

newsmoke

For the price I don't think you can beat the Sam's club or Smart & Final 40lb bag of Best of the West lump for around $15.
Agreed.
#42 - April 19, 2010, 06:22:29 pm

johnjmonroe

My favorite is the BGE brand lump, buts its ridiculously expensive.  So I usually use Cowboy brand lump from the ace hardware down the street.  Giant bag for like 12 bucks. 

I really only use the BGE brand lump if I've got something really special that Im doing a low and slow cook for. 
#43 - April 23, 2010, 02:57:45 pm

AzScott

I've been stuck on Wicked Good for a while now.  I tried a bag of the BGE lump and had way too many pieces that weren't completely carbonized.  I have the same issue with a lot of Royal Oak.  I also really like Real Montana charcoal in maple and apple.  Their black hawthorn charcoal is awesome for pork.
#44 - April 27, 2010, 10:47:30 am
14' R&O offset
FEC 100
3 L BGE's
1 Mini BGE

Competing since July 2010

Azbully

I've been stuck on Wicked Good for a while now.  I tried a bag of the BGE lump and had way too many pieces that weren't completely carbonized.  I have the same issue with a lot of Royal Oak.  I also really like Real Montana charcoal in maple and apple.  Their black hawthorn charcoal is awesome for pork.

Where do you get the Wicked Good, and Real Montana?
#45 - April 28, 2010, 03:38:01 pm

Members: