AZ Barbeque.com

Charcoal

Discussion started on

bearbonez

Does anyone know if HD is carrying that good and cheap charcoal this year (rancher's reserve?). Ours had it for about 2 weeks and was gone. Wondering if it would do any good to bug them about it. Up on the hill we have kingsford, cowboy lump, or RO. I like RO enough, but wally world seems to carry it periodically and at $5 for the small bag.
#1 - February 29, 2008, 08:21:22 am
David "Bear" Nunley

VisionQuest220

I was at Home Depot yesterday and saw a pallet of (gulp) Cowboy lump charcoal.  That stuff is far and away the worst lump charcoal I have ever had the displeasure of opening.

I, too, hope that HD will carry Rancher charcoal again this year.  My 50 bag stockpile is beginning to dwindle to a mere 35 bags.
#2 - February 29, 2008, 08:46:36 am
http://www.rhythmnque.com
The All-WSM Championship Barbeque Team
2008 & 2009 CBBQA Team of the Year

Lizard333

Is charcoal your guys primary use for heat and smoking?  Or do you supplement your charcoal with hardwoods to "flavor".  I am just curious what others are doing out there. Also, do you have large smokers, i.e. on a trailer, or do you have the smaller ones that are on your porch?  And I haven't seen this charcoal up here, but I am in Flagstaff, so that probly isn't much help.
#3 - March 02, 2008, 06:33:35 am
Bueller... Bueller...  Bueller..........

SmokeWatcher

I use charcoal for heat and add wood for flavoring.....and I used my last bag of Rancher yesterday  :(
#4 - March 02, 2008, 07:05:04 am
If it ain't right, don't do it....If it ain't true, don't say it....If it ain't yours, don't take it.

bearbonez

My smoker is a backyard classic chef from gator pits. It's really a stick burner, but I made a charcoal basket that i use charcoal and wood chunks for overnight cooking...till I can get a WSM. It's not a trailered cooker, but it's pretty big. I can cook 2 briskets, 2 pork butts, 4 whole chickens, and 24 slabs of spares at once on it.
 Looking in the future to have a few WSM's for comps and overnight cooks at home.
#5 - March 02, 2008, 07:09:36 am
David "Bear" Nunley

Mike (AZBarbeque)

I have (and sell) the big trailer smokers.  I use a combination of wood and lump when I first start it up, but as I'm cooking through the night, I use mainly wood.  If I need to get more heat in the chamber, I will add some lump, but mostly we just use wood through the cook.

Now as far as what type of wood, right now we are using pecan & almond, but grape, apple, olive and cherry are all good to use, but hard to find.
#6 - March 02, 2008, 08:33:04 am
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

2ks smokn

Is charcoal your guys primary use for heat and smoking?  Or do you supplement your charcoal with hardwoods to "flavor".  I am just curious what others are doing out there. Also, do you have large smokers, i.e. on a trailer, or do you have the smaller ones that are on your porch?  And I haven't seen this charcoal up here, but I am in Flagstaff, so that probly isn't much help.

I have a pit on wheels. I'll generally drop a 20 lb bag of Kingsford in my pit to get it started, and shortly after throw on wood. I use Kingsford, but that's because I can't seem to find the Rancher brand up north either. Also, I've kind of turned away from using the lump on my big pit, because it seems like a good 20-30% of the bottom of the bag ends up being small pieces or dust that just fall through the grate anyway. The Kingsford or Rancher also seem to allow much slower/even burn temps (at least on the low side) for long cooks on my pit. But, because of the much higher temps and better flavor, I only use lump when grilling steaks etc. over direct flame.
#7 - March 02, 2008, 08:56:56 am

Members: