AZ Barbeque.com

Charcoal Fuel Comparison

Discussion started on

azkitch

Wow! What a cool test! Somebody pitted 3 types of lump, King. briquettes and Kamado Extruded coconut charcoal things against each other in a BGE to compare burn times and ash production. What an eye opener. Can we get Wicked lump around here?
http://www.nakedwhiz.com/burntimetest/lumpcompare.htm
Seems to be some sort of BGE group. Many other charcoal tests. Wow. Another late night!
#1 - September 19, 2008, 02:23:52 am
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Pretty cool test results, but they were done in 2004.  I wonder if the results would be the same today.

I understand some of the charcoal out there has been redesigned.

We should do our own test...
#2 - September 19, 2008, 05:39:26 am
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

toys4dlr

I do that all the time here at home.  I have used the k briqs (Way too much ash and clogs the air flow in the BGE), Royal Oak and the Kamado extruded.  The batch I have is over 3 year old of the Kamado coal, so it is the better stuff.  The newer stuff is not as good or was not, lots more moisture not as compacted. But it is tough to light, even with a weedburner.

I find my UDS works well with the Kamado Coal, ok with the lump and good with the briq, but I do not like the amount of ash in the briq.

I use lump in the Stumps, as it can be stuffed out and reused again, but the Kamado and briq fall apart.  I use lump in the BGe and I am finding I like the Kamado Coal in the UDS.

My 2 cents

#3 - September 19, 2008, 07:33:45 am
Toys 4 BBQ'N
Competition BBQ Team - Anthem, Arizona

Comfort is King with our team

Q-TO-U-BBQ, Anthem AZ
North Valley Magazine's Reader's Choice Best BBQ for 2010 and 2011

KidCurry

Things I have learned in my quest of Q...

Frys/Kroger lump will roast a phone pretty well, but also work "good" in the UDS.  Have not used it in the Hondo.  It smells good, minus the phone. $4.99 8 lbs bag.

Kingsford work well in the Hondo and the UDS but admittedly more ash then the lump.  I just scoop it out of the Hondo and the UDS has run for 20 hours on one load of Kingsford.   Smells like charcoal ??  Unknown phone roasting ability.  $6 something 18 lbs bag (??).  I have also used the Hickory infused Kingsford (in a pinch at someone elses house on a new WSM) to do some chicken and was surprised on how well it worked, smoke wise.  Have not used it for anything else.

Royal Oak Briquettes from Ace...maybe more ash then Kings and a (what seemed to me) cooler fire.  I was not very impressed with anything other than the price.  If I had been using this my phone might have had a chance.  I guess OK in a pinch but I would have to use it again, needs more testing.  $3.99 a 8 or 10 lbs bag.(??)

Sams choice, stunk to high heaven, my wife said it smelled like skunk a$$ and I wondered to my self just how close had she been to a skunk.  :-\  Popped and snapped the entire cook swelled up and created more ash then the Kingsford.  Oh so not worth even the cheap price.  These were the larger briquettes so I have no idea if the regular sized ones are the same.  Even if the phone had survived I would have had to replace it or bathe it in tomato juice.

YMMV

O0
#4 - September 19, 2008, 10:32:11 am
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 01:42:06 pm by kidcurry73 »
KidCurry@AZBarbeque.com
KCBS CBJ
Mike boils his ribs....pass it on.

ddog27

The Kamado Extruded coconut charcoal is awesome stuff. But it is hard to get unless we put a group buy together. I wish they had a better distribution system.

#5 - September 19, 2008, 12:13:51 pm
Darin "D-Dog" Hearn
Eastern Arizona BBQ Club Ambassador
DDog@AZBarbeque.com

D-dog's BBQ Rubs,
So good they're better than Ketchup!
http://ddogsbbq.com

http://www.myspace.com/ddogsbbq

toys4dlr

The K extruded is good stuff in the right cooker.  Not so good in my Stumps, but good in the BGE or my #7 Kamado. 

I still have 6 boxes of the original 20 I bought from Glenn when I moved in 2005.  The company is interesting to work with even when I went directly to the office in Sac when they were there.  Richard and Deborah are nice people, but dance to their own drum.

Glenn was trying to get a group buy on the stuff, but it was a little too expensive for my uses.  Maybe once I am out I will change my tune. ;D
#6 - September 19, 2008, 01:30:56 pm
Toys 4 BBQ'N

Q-TO-U-BBQ, Anthem AZ

azkitch

I've been back to nakedwhiz a couple of times since then, and they have been doing this continuously for a while, apparently. There is a page full of tests, but seems like lots of the stuff we can't get out here. What is with the East Coast bias thing? Just 'cuz of Megalopolis? (the east coast city--Miami to Boston) Ah, oh well. Cheapie Royal Oak from WallyWorld is highly rated by them--the American variety. Apparently, they had 3 other types, with made in emblazoned on the bag as long as you look. Brazil, Paraguay and somewhere else. Fascinating as a comparison. Makes me want a BGE, though. They cost about a buck a pound, don't they?
#7 - September 21, 2008, 08:55:52 pm
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

toys4dlr

The BGE's run more like 2 bucks a pound  ;D
#8 - September 21, 2008, 09:15:19 pm
Toys 4 BBQ'N

Q-TO-U-BBQ, Anthem AZ

Members: