AZ Barbeque.com

Bought a FEC, now what do I use?!?

Discussion started on

bbqphx.com

After months of searching, I finally found a used FEC100 and picked her up in Orange County this past weekend.  I am a complete novice when it comes to pellet cookers, so looking for some advice on fuel.  What pellets do you recommend and why?  Do keep in mind I'm a proud member of the Cheapskates of America club :)
#1 - June 21, 2012, 08:59:09 am
Attachments:
Tracy-Head Chef and Mad Scientist
Weber Ranch Kettle
Two Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5"
Old School Weber Performer circa 1998
FEC100
http://www.bbqphx.com
Find BBQPHX sauce at Hobe Meats, Bull Market and Brooksie's

AzScott

AWWWW YEEEAAAAHHH!!!  FEC's are awesome.  Tracy I always run Fast Eddies hickory pellets but I also really like Green Mountain hickory pellets as well.  I didn't like the Lumberjack pellets at BBQ Island a year ago but hear they are shorter in size now.  I also just tried a bag of the BBQ Island private label last weekend and really liked them.  I think that you being cheap will love the FEC.  My fuel cost is around $10 for a competition in the summer and maybe $12 in the winter.  

If you need any help or have any questions, do not hesitate to ask.
#2 - June 21, 2012, 01:34:36 pm
14' R&O offset
FEC 100
3 L BGE's
1 Mini BGE

Competing since July 2010

AzScott

You got 3 rib racks as well!?!?!?!  Those are like $70 a pop.  You scored.
#3 - June 21, 2012, 01:35:58 pm
14' R&O offset
FEC 100
3 L BGE's
1 Mini BGE

bbqphx.com

Thanks Scott.  Yes, I can't really think of a time that I'll have a use for three rib racks but one never knows.  Hopefully I'll get the chance to fire up the FEC this weekend!
And by the way it's cheapskate, not cheap  :P
#4 - June 21, 2012, 02:29:30 pm
Weber Ranch Kettle
FEC100

AzScott

Sure Tracy.  If you would rather be a cheapskate I can live with that.  I do know that Justin would be interested in one or two of the rib racks.
#5 - June 21, 2012, 04:17:45 pm
14' R&O offset
FEC 100
3 L BGE's
1 Mini BGE

toys4dlr

Hey Tracey,

I have good luck BBQ'rs Delight, I order it by the ton from Candy Sue.  I too had some issues with the length of the pellets from LumbeJack, it was a true fight and that was with my FEC 500 in the Restaurant.

It appears that you have a custom wheel set too.  Who did you but that from??

#6 - June 21, 2012, 10:52:09 pm
Toys 4 BBQ'N
Competition BBQ Team - Anthem, Arizona

Comfort is King with our team

Q-TO-U-BBQ, Anthem AZ
North Valley Magazine's Reader's Choice Best BBQ for 2010 and 2011

bbqphx.com

Yes, the stand is a custom item the first owner (I am now the third owner) put on so I'm afraid I don't know who built it.  The wheel base is now wider than the smoker with inflatable tires to boot, so it's much more stable than the standard issue.
#7 - June 22, 2012, 07:13:39 am
Weber Ranch Kettle
FEC100

DRQ

you will love it... and if you decide to get rid of one of the rib racks let me know,.. I love FEC pellets, Green Mountain aree good... however latley I have been using BBQ'rs delight and love them..... You will love the FEC... just one awesome smoker. if you need anything feel free to email me I will help any way I can.....

enjoy
#8 - June 22, 2012, 02:59:18 pm

azkitch

WOW Tracy--Congratulations!! What a great score that is...Have a great time with it!
#9 - June 23, 2012, 11:15:08 am
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

Harpo

Tracy I think that is more smoker than you need or can handle. I will be glad to take it off your hands for you. Kidding aside, Congrats on the score. I'm jealous and want one so bad. I know you will love it once you figure out what works for you. Good luck with it.
#10 - June 24, 2012, 05:54:08 am
I don't eat vegetables. The meat I eat, eats vegetables.
Grill Dome Ceramic Smoker/Grill
FEC 100

Send this topic Print

Members: