AZ Barbeque.com

Best of the West

Discussion started on

azkitch

I got my 40# bag of best of the West from Smart and Final the other day. I should've gotten my brisket there too, but that's another post...Opend the bag, and it's full of tree trunks. I thought you guys were overstating it, but I pulled out hunk after hunk 3" diameter by 6" long. I'm gonna need a bigger firebox...
It's all charcoal, though, so one smack with a hammer or hatchet, and it's many useful pieces. I'm just hoping I don't run out of fuel because there are so many large chunks my basket is emptier than I think.
#1 - September 05, 2009, 11:30:58 pm
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

Thom Emery

That is the nature of lump
Take at look at Royal Oak
They have a Mesquite embedded
 briquette  that Kyle is working with
#2 - September 06, 2009, 05:53:20 am
Catering, Competition Cooking and Community Service

www.bbqthom.com

What Wood Jesus Q

azkitch

I kinda had fun whackin' it with a hatchet, and gettin' all dirty. And my fears of running out of fuel were misdirected. I finished the butt and brisket about 12 hours after I started, and by then the temps were around 190, cuz I'd blocked the exhaust holes. I pulled the charcoal basket out to see what was left, and was amazed and impressed by the volume. It sat out of the drum for 10-15 minutes before it started spittin' sparks and smoking again, and 10 minutes later, it was aflame. It was fairly cool when I got it out, so I just ran a rod thru the exp.metal and lifted. Not that hot. Couldn't do that to put it back, would've roasted my hand in flame. So I got my new DO lid lifter I got at the Cabela's fete and managed to work it back in. Then I cooked ribs @ 270 for 4 hours on it.
#3 - September 07, 2009, 12:57:03 am
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

RudedoggAZ

I kinda had fun whackin' it with a hatchet, and gettin' all dirty. And my fears of running out of fuel were misdirected. I finished the butt and brisket about 12 hours after I started, and by then the temps were around 190, cuz I'd blocked the exhaust holes. I pulled the charcoal basket out to see what was left, and was amazed and impressed by the volume. It sat out of the drum for 10-15 minutes before it started spittin' sparks and smoking again, and 10 minutes later, it was aflame. It was fairly cool when I got it out, so I just ran a rod thru the exp.metal and lifted. Not that hot. Couldn't do that to put it back, would've roasted my hand in flame. So I got my new DO lid lifter I got at the Cabela's fete and managed to work it back in. Then I cooked ribs @ 270 for 4 hours on it.

I've had pretty good luck with this stuff except for the size... My experience was it burns pretty clean and kept temp. That's all I can ask for.
#4 - September 08, 2009, 11:05:22 am

Members: