AZ Barbeque.com

Best of the West 100% Misquite lump charcoal

Discussion started on

RudedoggAZ

Has anyone ever used this stuff before?
#1 - August 14, 2009, 02:09:20 pm

Jaybird

Sure have. I like it for the nice big chunks I can put in my big offsets. I think they sell it at Smart and Final. Been awhile since I've bought it but I need to get some now.
#2 - August 14, 2009, 02:15:15 pm

Thom Emery

Sure they used to sponsor a lot of BBQ Events
Times is slow for them also
Tad strong flavor
 The owner is a nice Guy
#3 - August 14, 2009, 02:16:12 pm
Catering, Competition Cooking and Community Service

www.bbqthom.com

What Wood Jesus Q

RudedoggAZ

This is my #100th post, does this change my rank? :-\

Thanks for the info! Great prices on a 40# bag! $15.00

I've heard it burns nice and hot also so that will be nice in the ProQ to keep temp.

Looking forward to trying out. I'll post a little review when I do.... tonight on the menu, Smoked meatloaf
#4 - August 14, 2009, 02:22:18 pm

Lizard333

Where are you finding it for 15$ for a 40 pound bag??
#5 - August 15, 2009, 06:45:26 am
Bueller... Bueller...  Bueller..........

RudedoggAZ

I got them at Smart and Final on Scottsdale and Acoma(ish) it's in that big shopping center. Not sure it's the best for a ProQ cause the pieces are pretty big but I went for it and had good success. The thing is, I had to put the coals down first then build a fire around it. Usually I would pour the coals on top but the chunks but the Best of the West chunks (small logs) are pretty large. It worked out great though and held temp at 225+ both days with the water pan (cooked a meatloaf and chicken)
#6 - August 17, 2009, 11:13:23 am

azkitch

I got a small bag of it at Albertsons recently. 'Twas pretty neat. I guess I'd better head to SnF. Fart and Spinal...
#7 - August 17, 2009, 11:00:24 pm
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

AzJohnnyC

I saw this tonight at Smart & Final. I was hesitant because it's mesquite. Does that impart a strong flavor, if any at all? Or does it add no flavor, so you can still use say, apple or oak, to smoke with? It's a HUGE bag for fifteen bucks and I hated making the decision. Good deal, if you like mesquite.
#8 - August 19, 2009, 09:31:51 pm
Whiskey Business BBQ
WWW.Facebook.com/whiskeybusinessbbq

Weber 22-1/2 Silver
Twin Pro Q Excel 20s
Lang 84 Deluxe

RudedoggAZ

I saw this tonight at Smart & Final. I was hesitant because it's mesquite. Does that impart a strong flavor, if any at all? Or does it add no flavor, so you can still use say, apple or oak, to smoke with? It's a HUGE bag for fifteen bucks and I hated making the decision. Good deal, if you like mesquite.

Yeah, it's a little strong... but not so bad to cover up the pecan that I used. What do I know though... I'm still a newbie  :angel: I over salted my brine on the chicken I cooked, but it had a great flavor. ??? Such is BBQ...
#9 - August 19, 2009, 10:22:45 pm

azkitch

Once turned into charcoal, it isn't so much a flavoring element, methinks. Verily. Anyway, what I'm saying is, the fact that it's mesquite is basically immaterial after they turn it into charcoal, in terms of flavoring. I'm crazy about what apple does for pork and chicken, now. And I want to try oak for brisket again. Smelled real good, but I didn't notice smoky taste so much.
#10 - August 20, 2009, 10:25:26 am
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

AzJohnnyC

Sure. Now I'm going to kick myself for not getting that 40 lb bag for 15 bucks. Next time, I guess I'll give in.
#11 - August 20, 2009, 10:31:05 am
Whiskey Business BBQ
WWW.Facebook.com/whiskeybusinessbbq

Weber 22-1/2 Silver
Twin Pro Q Excel 20s
Lang 84 Deluxe

azkitch

Sure. Now I'm going to kick myself for not getting that 40 lb bag for 15 bucks. Next time, I guess I'll give in.
:D
It's $15. Go grab a bag...or 3.
BTW, I've got a gob of mesquite in the back yard, if you'd like me to bring a couple chunks--nemmind, I just will.
#12 - August 20, 2009, 10:40:57 am
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 10:43:01 am by azkitch »
CBJ # 53779

Members: