AZ Barbeque.com

Smoking With an Egg

Discussion started on

Midnight Smoke

I'll be 1st.

Light up your Lump and after about 10-20 minutes depending on how you choose to light it, Close Lid Dome Cap off Intake full open.

After another 10-15 minutes put the DFMT on and adjust, about 1/2 open the smoke will start to calm

Another 10 minutes or so we are getting close, start closing down the Intake and adjust the DFMT

Around 40 total minutes or so we are running Sweet Blue

On overnight-er I usually let the Egg get completely settled in, usually about an hour.

#1 - February 13, 2010, 07:38:41 pm
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 07:45:09 pm by Midnight Smoke »

kingbrutis

We cooked on one for the first time today. It was fun. I really couldn't see me buying one, but it was very predictable and solid.
#2 - February 13, 2010, 07:53:03 pm
KCBS Judge #53780

Midnight Smoke

We cooked on one for the first time today. It was fun. I really couldn't see me buying one, but it was very predictable and solid.

I think I met you today, BBQ Island?
#3 - February 13, 2010, 09:03:21 pm

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Great picture & recap.

Yea, today was my first day cooking on one as well.  Really enjoyed it and it cooked very well. 
#4 - February 13, 2010, 10:02:09 pm
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

Crash

Great pictures....actually awesome pictures!!

Today was our first time cooking on an BGE as well.  My first thought was that they were overpriced (pre-cook), but after cooking on one all day...they rock!!  Great cooker, great temp control and very, very easy to manage.

Seriously, if I didn't have way to many cookers at home, I would have purchased one in a heartbeat. 

BBQ Island still has a good supply and I would suggest that anyone interested stop by and check them out...great cookers and even better customer service from Mike, Shelton, Sterling and the crew!!

I am now 100% sold on those BGE's and Valentines Day is tomorrow......
#5 - February 13, 2010, 10:20:03 pm
I love animals.  They're delicious!
VRM Pit Crew

Mark

I'm glad so many of you finally got a taste of ceramic cookery. They're swell, once you get used to them. Very easy to control and can hold steady temps for hours. Not to mention how you can sear steaks, bake bread and pizza (even pies) as well as slow smoke on them. I have three Kamados and wouldn't trade them for the world. Their only drawback is the work it must take to tote them to comps, but some teams do it very well. My #9 Kamado is the Hummer of ceramic cookers and weighs in at around 800 lbs. So it has rarely budged from where I first placed it, but BGE's are lighter and easy to move. If you have a spot in your backyard where you can keep them for years, they are ideal and a distinctive form of yard art.
#6 - February 14, 2010, 10:17:36 am
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

kingbrutis

Thats just cause yer the Iron Egg champ. You guys did a great job. When will you get yer urn?

Great pictures....actually awesome pictures!!

Today was our first time cooking on an BGE as well.  My first thought was that they were overpriced (pre-cook), but after cooking on one all day...they rock!!  Great cooker, great temp control and very, very easy to manage.

Seriously, if I didn't have way to many cookers at home, I would have purchased one in a heartbeat. 

BBQ Island still has a good supply and I would suggest that anyone interested stop by and check them out...great cookers and even better customer service from Mike, Shelton, Sterling and the crew!!

I am now 100% sold on those BGE's and Valentines Day is tomorrow......
#7 - February 14, 2010, 10:22:25 am
KCBS Judge #53780

Crash

Thats just cause yer the Iron Egg champ. You guys did a great job. When will you get yer urn?
As soon as someone else buys us one.  ;)
#8 - February 14, 2010, 11:08:14 am
I love animals.  They're delicious!
VRM Pit Crew

KidCurry

Great write up!! Nice pic for sure.
#9 - February 14, 2010, 05:43:05 pm
KidCurry@AZBarbeque.com
KCBS CBJ
Mike boils his ribs....pass it on.

AZRP

It was great cooking with you all on Saturday, my wife and I go to a lot of Eggfests and this was the first one where we met so many people that were cooking on one for the first time.  -RP
#10 - February 15, 2010, 12:01:59 pm

kingbrutis

I think I met you today, BBQ Island?

I was cooking with Mike, his daughter and his mom and pops. Great people. Ahh the Brooklyn stories. I was the slightly chubby guy with a Coyotes jersey on most of the day. I was also giving Crash some inside tips. :laugh:
#11 - February 15, 2010, 12:25:37 pm
KCBS Judge #53780

Members: