AZ Barbeque.com

Bubba Keg

Discussion started on

sabo

any Bubba Keg owners on here?
#1 - June 10, 2010, 06:14:20 pm

Crash

I know Mike used to own one.  I think he sold it to Luisricky, but I could be wrong on that.
#2 - June 10, 2010, 07:18:21 pm
I love animals.  They're delicious!
VRM Pit Crew

DesertJake

I bought one last week. Did my first two cooks on it during the weekend. Spatchcocked chicken and pulled pork.

Still in the learning curve, but both came out very nice!

#3 - June 14, 2010, 08:04:49 am

Mike (AZBarbeque)

True, I used one in winning the National Tailgating title last year and did indeed sell it to Luis Ricky.  He painted it up UT colors and as far as I have heard, is loving using it..

Post up some pictures of yours.

Did you get the Bubba Keg or the Steel Keg??
#4 - June 14, 2010, 08:26:13 am
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

DesertJake

I got the Bubba Keg on clearance at Home Depot, plus some extra off for being the floor model. Nice deal! I think I'm going to be very happy with it.

#5 - June 14, 2010, 12:34:13 pm

johnjmonroe

Make sure to let us know how it does.  I'd like to know how it compares to a BGE in terms of holding  temp and charcole use. 
#6 - June 14, 2010, 05:54:58 pm

DesertJake

I've never used an egg, but there's been a few comparisons on the web. This guy did a couple rounds:

http://www.grillandbarrel.com/the-grill/2009/7/14/throwdown-bubba-keg-vs-big-green-egg.html
http://www.grillandbarrel.com/the-grill/2009/8/3/round-2-bubba-keg-vs-big-green-egg.html

He gave a slight advantage to the BK in one and BGE in the other. In the end I don't think they're all that different. But the BK has the advantage for durability, portability and price. Price was the big one for me, since my wife raised her eyebrows at even the clearance price of the BK...

Charcoal use so far has been pretty minimal. We ate the last of my pulled pork yesterday, so time to figure out what to make next!
#7 - June 15, 2010, 06:37:46 am

Mark

If the Bubba Keg is like other ceramic cookers, you can shut it down and oxygen starve the remaining half of the coals to reuse the next time. At least that's how it works with my Kamados.
#8 - June 15, 2010, 09:14:27 am
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

sabo

OK..I bought one..I should have taken the floor model, because the one I took home had a hole in the side . i took it back and got the last one one the shelf..it was OK. After seasoning twice and a first cook of 2 steaks ..Wow..ths one may be a Keeper

.uote author=Mark link=topic=7629.msg73485#msg73485 date=1276618467]
If the Bubba Keg is like other ceramic cookers, you can shut it down and oxygen starve the remaining half of the coals to reuse the next time. At least that's how it works with my Kamados.
[/quote]
#9 - June 15, 2010, 08:21:34 pm

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Make sure to check out the Bubba Keg site as well, they have a ton of great How to video's that are really worth watching..
#10 - June 15, 2010, 11:48:16 pm
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

sabo

still on my 1st Bag of Royal Oak lump, put a Bag of Cowboy in the Trash..so far so good. Low temps are a little tricky..no Mods yet. But what the Heck...its BBQ.
#11 - August 02, 2010, 12:01:41 pm

mtrejo1

I'm not sure who Luis Ricky is but I am the person who bought the BKG from Mike.  Here are the pics of the BKG after I painted it UT colors:  http://www.azbarbeque.com/forums/show-us-your-smokers-and-grills/my-bubba-keg-grill-is-now-a-texas-fan/

I really like it and prefer it to a BGE but one concern I have is whether or not In-Zone (the company that makes the BKG) will stay in business.   Home Depot has been selling a ton but only after they discounted them to cost.   I'm not sure how many Big Steel Keg units Ace/Tru-Value are moving. The only other drawback of the BKG to a BGE is that it is more difficult to adjust temps since it holds heat so well.  If you overshoot your temp it takes a while to get it back down.  You don't have this problem on a BGE but it also uses more fuel than a BKG.  Regardless, both a BKG/BGE are much more energy efficient than non-Kamado type grills.

I'd love to get together with others in the Phoenix area and do a BKG/BSK mini-cookout.  If anyone is interested shoot me pm and we can work out the details.
#12 - August 06, 2010, 01:55:47 am

CrazyQ

I love my Bubba Keg!!!
It does such a great job retaining heat. In competition we bring it along to cook chicken, but in my last comp we used it to cook the pork since my Fat 50 is totaled.
#13 - August 09, 2010, 08:41:58 pm

azkitch

I'm not sure who Luis Ricky is but I am the person who bought the BKG from Mike.  Here are the pics of the BKG after I painted it UT colors:  http://www.azbarbeque.com/forums/show-us-your-smokers-and-grills/my-bubba-keg-grill-is-now-a-texas-fan/

At least Mike got the Longhorns part right...
#14 - September 08, 2010, 09:07:47 am
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

Members: