AZ Barbeque.com

Who's got the best BBQ/smoked brisket recipe???

Discussion started on

azkitch

Like Bear said in the sixth post, I'd leave out the vinegar. I might even substitute the good Dr. for it--I can't drink the stuff, myself, but I can see where it might taste right with beef. Otherwise, S&P+chili powder/paprika and garlic/onion whatnot...
#16 - June 29, 2010, 11:39:43 pm
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

bearbonez

i want to know when u guys use kool aide is it dry rub form or injection  ::)

Injected with kool aid. The powdered gatorade makes a good rub to go with that. A heathy basting at the end with some cool whip...now yer talkin
#17 - June 30, 2010, 04:45:10 pm
David "Bear" Nunley

Gava Ds BBQ

I do, thanks... ;)
#18 - October 04, 2010, 01:47:57 pm
"If today were a fish, I'd throw it back"

ALLREDY.com

DStew

I have never tried to cook Brisket, but where might a Brisket Newbie purchase this elusive cut?   
#19 - October 03, 2011, 12:10:44 pm
DStew - Low n Slow in Gilbert
"Confucius say, man with short basting mop has no hair on hand or forearm"

Mark

Costco or Sam's Club are your best bets if you are a member. Albertsons carries them, but be sure and check on the price. Last week was Rosh Hashanah and the prices for kosher brisket are double the unholy cow.
#20 - October 03, 2011, 12:16:42 pm
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

RudedoggAZ

Wal Mart has packers also...
#21 - October 03, 2011, 05:54:22 pm

joe2chillo

So I have always felt I do some great ribs and pork butt. My Brisket however is "good" at best. I recently spent some time in Texas and hit some of the top BBQ joints and I was floored by the brisket there. I mean I am still dreaming about it they were so good! Frys this week had Brisket on sale and I couldn't resist. So this weekend it is on. My plan is to go with a basic beef rub of mostly salt and pepper with perhaps some garlic and onion powder and maybe a bit of paprika. The real question is to inject or not and to marinate or not? I saw someone mention injecting with beef broth which I think may be a good idea. I am not looking for any secrets but maybe a suggestion on how to get that extra kick of flavor. I love it when the fat is so tasty you can't help but eat it. Any ideas, suggestions or hints?
#22 - March 02, 2016, 10:51:55 am

Mark

The biggest thing is trying not to over-smoke it. Cold meat absorbs smoke best and they say that most of your smoke flavor will be gained in the first couple of hours. The rest of the time is spent in making it tender. The "KC Baron of BBQ" Paul Kirk always made a point of embarrassing those who use aluminum foil in the middle of the cooking process to keep moisture in and excess smoke out. He would whip out a foil-wrapped crutch and declare foil a "Texas Crutch." Nowadays, many of the top brisket cooks rely on pink butcher paper for much of the same effect, including Aaron Franklin in Austin and AZ's very own Scott Holmes of Little Miss BBQ fame. You can't argue with their results.

I personally don't practice what I preach and don't wrap briskets in anything. I cook on a Kamado and can control my smoke pretty easily because of a smaller fire and less smokewood. That and because I am lazy. 8)
#23 - March 02, 2016, 01:02:50 pm
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

joe2chillo

That is a good point. I used to wrap most meats. Now I don't do it so much. With the Brisket however it may be better to wrap to get that moister and then finish it unwrapped for an hour or so to firm it up.
#24 - March 02, 2016, 02:30:00 pm

camperbob

Here's a link you might find interesting;

http://www.bbqpitboys.com/beef_brisket.html

If nothing else, it's entertainment.

That seems like an interesting recipe man, thanks a lot I will added to my list ;)
#25 - February 18, 2022, 11:32:44 am

Members: