AZ Barbeque.com

which Smoke is good on Brisket??? Pecan, Apple, Mesquite?????

Discussion started on

bearbonez

Well it's not a matter of which one, it's a matter of which combination. I would not include mesquite in any bbq I do. Now grilling is different story...I prefer it.

I am on the same page. Won't let mesquite near my smoker, but burgers and steaks....only way to fly.
#16 - June 23, 2009, 07:15:41 pm
David "Bear" Nunley

AzJohnnyC

At the classes at BBQ Island, Chris Marks cooked everything with a cherry wood.  There were a lot of happy people eating it there.
#17 - June 23, 2009, 07:53:36 pm
Whiskey Business BBQ
WWW.Facebook.com/whiskeybusinessbbq

Weber 22-1/2 Silver
Twin Pro Q Excel 20s
Lang 84 Deluxe

azchoctaw1

Thank yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!,
Wow what some great answers to make you want to BBQ everyday.
Which is what I am doing since My lady is seeing the GrandBaby in Louisianna.

Heat on the outside not the inside.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

azchoctaw1
#18 - June 23, 2009, 08:32:05 pm
Middle name "Elijah" means "God of Fire" that is why I BBQ!!!!!!

AzJohnnyC

Thank yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!,
Wow what some great answers to make you want to BBQ everyday.
Which is what I am doing since My lady is seeing the GrandBaby in Louisianna.

Heat on the outside not the inside.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

azchoctaw1

Barbecuing by yourself, and you didn't call anyone?
#19 - June 23, 2009, 08:52:38 pm
Whiskey Business BBQ
WWW.Facebook.com/whiskeybusinessbbq

Weber 22-1/2 Silver
Twin Pro Q Excel 20s
Lang 84 Deluxe

RobOConnell

All the woods sound great, unfortunately I am highly allergic to walnut and pecan. So I make do with mesquite, oak, hickory and apple. I have found apple to be one of my favorites as of late. Had a very bad experience with mesquite on a pork roast one time. Way too much smoke for the taste. Now, I am eager to try grape that sounds great. Someone once told me plum and peach were pretty good too.
#20 - June 30, 2009, 12:39:35 pm
UDS (love it most)
Pro Q
Brinkmans Smoke n Grill (now belongs to my daughter)

bbqjoe

All there is is mesquite. Mesquite and knowledge. And for a few grand I might tell ya that the way to use it is.........
#21 - July 03, 2009, 05:01:57 pm
Anything worth shooting once.........is worth shooting a bunch of times.

www.eatatjoesbarbecue.com

Lizard333

Preach it BBqjoe.  I haven't had any problems with mesquite since I learned witchcraft and sorcery.  Small price to pay to master the BBQ...........
#22 - July 05, 2009, 06:41:15 am
Bueller... Bueller...  Bueller..........

rvriggs

Does anyone know anything about Pear wood????? I have a Pear tree that died & I was going to try some of that, but it would be nice to have a clue before-hand. ???
#23 - July 05, 2009, 07:22:52 am

azkitch

Oooh baby! I've heard stories...supposed to be absolutely sublime...
#24 - July 06, 2009, 11:51:54 pm
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

bbqphx.com

Great topic!! 
The answer to your question is....All of them.  Unfortunately, especially for those of us trying to learn the art of smoking and BBQ, there is no easy answer-YOU GOTTA PRACTICE!  I've had one brilliant experience with mesquite brisket.  Seven others sucked a$$ and I can't say what the difference was other than outdoor temperature (the winner happened back in April but the internal temp of the smoker was NO different!!!).
So, I've given up trying with mesquite, I want to love you but you make it soooooooooo hard :)  I've got other weapons in my arsenal that aren't so Goddang high maintenance :P
#25 - July 31, 2009, 06:46:47 pm
Tracy-Head Chef and Mad Scientist
Weber Ranch Kettle
Two Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5"
Old School Weber Performer circa 1998
FEC100
http://www.bbqphx.com
Find BBQPHX sauce at Hobe Meats, Bull Market and Brooksie's

desertdog

Keep Red Oak, Pecan, Apple and Cherry in your arsenal, experiment with different combos and you can't go wrong, in my opinion.
#26 - July 31, 2009, 07:30:04 pm
Pitmaster for Ship of Fools, er...Major Woody's BBQ Team
Beer Ambassador -currently doing research in assorted Bavarian Villages

Mark

Pear wood is swell; much like apple, as you would expect. Up in Prescott Valley, I have pear, two kinds of apple, two kinds of cherry, and a maple tree...plus grapevine and blackberry twigs. All the prunings smoke well. But when I cook brisket, I just use mesquite lump. Pecan is good, too. In Texas, they often use oak, as well as mesquite.
#27 - July 31, 2009, 10:25:47 pm
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

Lizard333

Up hear in Flag, Oak is about all I can get my hands on so I have been using that.  Not bad at all.  It doesn't seem to be as dense as the Pecan I have been using, so I have to use more.  Other than that, good stuff.
#28 - August 01, 2009, 05:14:19 am
Bueller... Bueller...  Bueller..........

bbqwant2b

Understanding what each type of wood is "best" on is only part of the process.  What is really fun about smoking is that you can mix and match all kinds of woods to come up with a flavor that you find really pleasing.  The only taste that matters in the backyard is yours so experiment and have fun!

Although my supply has dwindled, at one time I had all these different woods in my backyard.  And I used them all!

Red Oak
White Oak
Hickory
Mesquite
Apple
Pecan
Cherry
Pistachio - Still one of my personal favorites
Grape
Olive
Alder
Maple
Pistachio is one that we use often and we have a good contact local
#29 - August 01, 2009, 09:05:41 pm
Member IBCA,KCBS & CBBQA
DP Fat 70
Traeger bbq126
Traeger XL bbq 150
FEC 100
Jambo

camperbob

New!
Have you tried this one bellow from Cosmogrill brand? I was told it goes good on brisket
#30 - February 18, 2022, 11:31:03 am
« Last Edit: November 02, 2022, 05:50:49 am by camperbob »

Members: