AZ Barbeque.com

Tri Tip??

Discussion started on

desertdog

There's always 3 sides to every story.....

#16 - June 08, 2009, 08:37:03 pm
Pitmaster for Ship of Fools, er...Major Woody's BBQ Team
Beer Ambassador -currently doing research in assorted Bavarian Villages

force

I still can't figure the third side......... the tip end?
#17 - June 08, 2009, 10:34:32 pm
Huge Fan of Mike (AZBarbeque)... He's My Hero..

bearbonez

The tri tips available here are basically the ends. The flat part isn't attached. So it's a triangular shaped piece of meat...hence the 3 sides.
#18 - June 09, 2009, 08:43:56 am
David "Bear" Nunley

desertdog

The tri tips available here are basically the ends. The flat part isn't attached. So it's a triangular shaped piece of meat...hence the 3 sides.

I am no geometry major, but then it must have at least 4 sides, more likely 5.  Unless it only a two dimensional meat...... ??? ;) ;D   I could imagine a nice piece of (sweet potato) Pi to go with that.....sorry, only enough for 3.14159265 pieces...someone is gonna get left out.
#19 - June 09, 2009, 09:33:53 am
Pitmaster for Ship of Fools, er...Major Woody's BBQ Team
Beer Ambassador -currently doing research in assorted Bavarian Villages

bearbonez

this one talks in numbers
#20 - June 09, 2009, 11:46:34 am
David "Bear" Nunley

force

it's Deanbonics.......... that's why it's called tri--- 3..... I get it........
#21 - June 09, 2009, 05:27:36 pm

DirtPig

my family is from california, and tri tip santa maria style is one of my favorite things to smoke.

nice thing about it is that it is a quick smoke... generally less than an hour, so it works when the wife says "I invited the neighbors over for dinner tonight. can you smoke something?"

I use a rub of equal parts table salt, granulated garlic and dried parsley.
get the fire going for a short smoke (325-350 degrees). I accomplish that with my weber by leaving all the vents wide open and leaving the water pan empty. red oak is the traditional santa maria smoke wood, but I use mesquite most of the time.

twenty minutes in the smoker before the first turn, then monitor it until the meat gets to 125-130 degrees (usually another 20 minutes). I then remove it from the heat and let it rest for 15-20 minutes under a foil tent.

slice it thin, and serve it with good fresh salsa, a salad and beans. open a good california pinot. voila, california barbecue.
#22 - June 10, 2009, 11:02:05 am

Lizard333

seems easy enough, I will have to give it a try.  I will post pics...
#23 - June 10, 2009, 11:08:09 am
Bueller... Bueller...  Bueller..........

olivesmoker

Grew up on the Central Coast where tri-tip was "invented". We use ONLY Red Oak. Trim any and all fat to start. Season with Susie Q - Santa Maria Style BBQ Seasoning. Best if you can season the night before and cover with plastic wrap to sweat overnight. Always take the tip out for at least an hour before cooking. Build the fire indirect in the Weber and when coals are ready, add the oak pieces. Beer in the water pan is a bonus. Do heavy smoke for the first 20 minutes of cooking. Then turn and watch for another 20 - 30 minutes for med. rare to medium. Tri-tip is also excellent on the rotisserie. Same routine only no turning involved. Still heavy smoke for about the first 20 minutes then it just rolls around and stays extremely juicy and tender. Cutting against the grain is essential - and this can be tricky as it is basically 3-sided - Dean no figuring Pi in this one! You have to turn the roast a couple of times to stay against the grain. I am tempted to pack the weber on our visit to Santa Maria next month to compete only in the tri-tip division! Wife says NO we are only going as spectators... 
Oh and fresh salsa, beans and salad are must, but do not forget homemade sourdough garlic bread to sop up all the fine juices after slicing - oh so good! Getting ready to post some pics of Kristine's to-die-for SMOKED salsa - Wowza!
Quiggs you are in for a treat soon!
#24 - June 11, 2009, 10:35:10 am
Danny Petersen
Gold Star Engraving and Awards
So much more than a Trophy Store.

Smokin' Dead Meat BBQ Team Member
Thanks Quiggs!

force

sounds tasty...... thought it was invented in the steer...........
#25 - June 11, 2009, 11:56:34 am

olivesmoker

sounds tasty...... thought it was invented in the steer...........

All depends which end you look at...
#26 - June 11, 2009, 12:41:06 pm
Danny Petersen
Gold Star Engraving and Awards
So much more than a Trophy Store.

Smokin' Dead Meat BBQ Team Member
Thanks Quiggs!

Quiggs

Call me Olive Smoker and I will pick up salsa anytime!!
#27 - June 11, 2009, 07:15:29 pm
Quiggs@AZBarbeque.com
Smokin Dead Meat BBQ
Born on Date 4-18-08
WSM, 22" WSM, Offset, UDS, Pro Q, Couple of Weber Golds, Bradley & Gas Burner.
www.smokinbbq.piczo.com
KCBS member & judge # 51659 of questionable standing

force

I think the head throat would be my first........lol
#28 - June 15, 2009, 09:29:28 pm

azchoctaw1

Hey Lizard,
I learned how to cook Tri-Tip in Brawley, Ca. in 1986.
Buy it non-trimmed and have the water spray bottle ready.
throw it on the HOT grill and sear both sides of the TT till you feel it is done.
Just feel of it for your tenderess that you like.

Should be should be med-well on one end and med rare on the other.

I buy mine at FrencH'S Meat Market.

azchoctaw1
HAPPY 4TH OF JULY DOIN AMERICAN BRISKET TODAY.

#29 - July 04, 2009, 12:53:31 pm
Middle name "Elijah" means "God of Fire" that is why I BBQ!!!!!!

TeninoBBQ

I agree with the 130 -135 degree range, take off smoker and foil for 15 minutes.  Tri Tip is most tender at that temp vs 140-150 range.  I use Sniders prime rib rub with olive oil overnight as a marinate.  Easy and turns out great every time.  Smoke as many as you can and freeze the rest.  Slice later for sandwiches or quick snack.

#30 - August 16, 2009, 07:31:27 am

Members: