AZ Barbeque.com

Tri Tip??

Discussion started on

bwchef

Try a marinade of soy sauce and garlic, it turns out pretty good
#31 - October 05, 2009, 11:21:41 am

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Now we are talking... Soy & Garlic.  That's what I marinate steaks in, adds some great flavor...
#32 - October 05, 2009, 12:15:51 pm
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

force

add some mule marinade......extra kick
#33 - October 05, 2009, 09:58:45 pm
Huge Fan of Mike (AZBarbeque)... He's My Hero..

olivesmoker

So Mike. You live were you can find this stuff. Tabasco soy spicy and Worcestershire spicy sauce our son found it at some AJ's it is the bomb.
#34 - October 05, 2009, 10:15:18 pm
Danny Petersen
Gold Star Engraving and Awards
So much more than a Trophy Store.

Smokin' Dead Meat BBQ Team Member
Thanks Quiggs!

Gava Ds BBQ

I use saute'd onion and garlic coffee grounds and some "Stone" Pale Ale in my sauce, I use my own version of a traditional Santa Maria style for the rub its awesome!
#35 - July 16, 2010, 08:14:59 pm
"If today were a fish, I'd throw it back"

ALLREDY.com

bmoore345

My wife is from Santa Maria and from all of the BBQs we've been to there here is what I picked up and use.  Do not trim any of the fat. Season with Susie Q - Santa Maria Style BBQ Seasoning. Season 1-2 hours before hand.  Build your fire with the red oak get it to medium in temperature.  Put on fat side down.  Flip every 15 minutes for 45 minutes.  Cook to medium-rare to medium.  Let rest for 10 minutes. Cut against the grain.  Serve with fresh salsa, beans and, and homemade sourdough garlic bread to sop up all the fine juices after slicing.
#36 - December 20, 2011, 06:48:26 pm
Santa Maria Style BBQ
Brinkmann Off-Set SMoker

Mike89t

I've been eyeing Tri-TIp at Costco for some time now.  I finally caved in and gave it a try on my WSM.  Put the Tri-Tip in a marinade of:

Soy Sauce
Garlic
Pineapple Juice
Lemon/Lime Soda with cane sugar
Fresh Ground pepper
Olive Oil

Was hoping to marinate it for 24 hours then my wife reminded me of dinner plans we had the next nigth and I had to go to plan B.  It only got to marinate it for about 4 hours but it still worked out.  

Got the smoker going with some Hickory chunks.  Cooked the tri tip at about 275 for about 45 minutes till the meat temp was 129.  Then Seared it directly over the hot coals on both sides.  Pulled it off the smoker and let it rest for 20 minutes.  Sliced it thin against the grain on a diagonal bias.  

Turned out amazing!

I served it with a great Horseradish Cream sauce from Alton Brown.  Made some awesome steak sandwiches.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/horseradish-cream-sauce-recipe/index.html
#37 - May 10, 2012, 05:12:55 pm
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 05:24:44 pm by Mike89t »

bearbonez

Next time you are in a time crunch for marinating, here is a tip. If you have a vacuum sealer, use it. If you don't and it's just for family (cootie alert) use a ziplock and leave just a small opening at the corner and press out as much air as you can, then suck out the rest of the air like siphoning gas with a hose (marinate taste better than what I would imagine gas would if you get over zealous). It will greatly speed up the marinate time. You can also increase the acidity by adding just a little more pineapple/citrus juice or some type of vinegar.
#38 - May 11, 2012, 02:36:42 pm
David "Bear" Nunley

jimj

I've been eyeing Tri-TIp at Costco for some time now.  I finally caved in and gave it a try on my WSM.  Put the Tri-Tip in a marinade of:
The best deal I've ever found for Tri-Tip is at Costco in a Cryovac bag. There are usually 6-8 pieces in the bag (we do love our TT) and they are trimmed up pretty good. I also suggest watching the TT video by Brent Walton of QN4U, he gives some good tips.
#39 - May 12, 2012, 06:23:43 am

Mike89t

Next time you are in a time crunch for marinating, here is a tip. If you have a vacuum sealer, use it. If you don't and it's just for family (cootie alert) use a ziplock and leave just a small opening at the corner and press out as much air as you can, then suck out the rest of the air like siphoning gas with a hose (marinate taste better than what I would imagine gas would if you get over zealous). It will greatly speed up the marinate time. You can also increase the acidity by adding just a little more pineapple/citrus juice or some type of vinegar.

Great point.  Didn't even think about vacume sealing it for the short marinade.  Ironically I vacuum sealed the extra tri-tip that I placed in the freezer.
#40 - May 15, 2012, 09:08:05 am

Members: