AZ Barbeque.com

great collection from Waler Jetton in the 1940's,

Discussion started on

bbq pits by klose

Here's a great collection from Waler Jetton in the 1940's, wo cooked for
President LBJ in Texas. Time honored & proven good recipes for ya to enjoy.
Walter Jetton was BBQ caterer to the LBJ Ranch. 
In 1965, he (along with Arthur Whitman) published "Walter Jetton's LBJ Barbecue Cook Book."  I have
mentioned it a couple of times in posts, and, since the book is long out of print, I got several requests
to post some of the recipes.  So here are some of my favorites, along with Jetton's comments and instructions.   These are "The Secrets of the Century".

Mop For All Barbecue Meats  (about 3 quarts)
(note-these are 1/2 the quantities in original recipe.
1 1/2  Tbsp   salt
1 1/2  Tbsp   dry mustard
1      Tbsp   garlic powder
  1/2  Tbsp   ground bay leaf
1      Tbsp   chili powder
1 1/2  Tbsp   paprika
1      Tbsp   Lu'siana Hot Sauce
1      Pint   Worcestershire Sauce
  1/2  Pint   vinegar
2      Quarts bone stock
  1/2  Pint   oil

Make the bone stock just the way you would start a soup - buy good stout beef bones from the butcher
and boil them.  Add all the other ingregients and let stand overnight before using.  Use this to rub
over meats or to baste them while they are cooking.  Put it on with a little dish mop of the kind you see
in the dime store.  As you use it, the flavor will change and improve, for you are constantly transfering
smoke and grease from the meat back to the mop concoction.  If you have any left over, keep it in the refrigerator.
================
This is the secret of the ages I am giving you here, and I would not be surprised if wars have been fought
over less.  Use this as a plate or table sauce with beef, chicken, pork or almost anything else. 
Don't cook things in it.

Barbecue Sauce   (about 2 1/2 cups)

1      cup    tomato ketchup
  1/2  cup    cider vinegar
1      tsp    sugar
1      tsp    chili powder
  1/8  tsp    salt
1 1/2  cups   water
3      stalks celery, chopped
3             bay leaves
1      clove  garlic
2      Tbsp   chopped onion
4      Tbsp   butter
4      Tbsp   Worcestershire Sauce
1      tsp    paprika
       dash   black pepper

Combine all ingredients and bring to a boil.  Simmer about 15 minutes.Remove from the heat and strain.
(the celery pieces that you strain out from the sauce are among the most delicious things really wonderful.  In fact, I sometimes made the sauce just to have some of the yummy celery.
================
Dry Rib Seasoning  (about 12 ounces)
This is for sprinkling on spareribs before you barbecue them.  Use heaping measures when you are mixing it and do not skimp when you use it.
6      Tbsp  salt
6      Tbsp  sugar
1      Tbsp  dry lemon powder
2      Tbsp  MSG or other pep powder
2 1/2  Tbsp  black pepper
1      Tbsp  paprika
=================
Dry Poultry Seasoning   (about 1 pound) Sprinkle this on chicken and fowl before barbecuing.
6   Tbsp  salt
3   Tbsp  black papper
2   Tbsp  MSG or other pep powder
2   Tbsp  garlic powder
2   Tbsp  ground bay leaves
1   Tbsp  paprika
2   Tbsp  dry mustard
=================
Texas Beef Barbecue
This is made out of beef brisket, which is one of the tastiest cuts but the least thought of by the
average housewife, unless she sometimes buys it as corned beef.  It starts out pretty tough,
but if you nurse it right, it's delicious.
6   pounds  beef brisket
2   quarts  bone stock
3           bay leaves
            salt and pepper
Put the bay leaves in a about a cup of water and bring to a boil.  Let it simmer 10 minutes or so,
then remove the leaves and add the bay tea to thebone stock, along with the salt and pepper.  Put
the brisket in your Dutch Oven and add the stock mixture to cover it about a quarter of the way.
Cover and cook over the fire, turning the brisket about every half hour until it's nearly done. This
can be determined by forking.  Mop it and lay it on the grill to finish cooking, being sure to turn it
and mop it every 20 minutes or so.  To make a natural gravy, add a little Worcestershire Sauce & maybe a dash of chili powder to the liquid you cooked the brisket in.  You can serve this with barbecue sauce.
=================
Triple-H Spare Ribs
I am naming these for Vice-President Hubert H. Humphrey, who sure gave these ribs a fit at the Victory Barbecue at the LBJ Ranch in November 1964.  He went at them like Clyde Beaty to cats and must have eaten them for an hour, putting away more of them than I have ever seen anybody do.
So far as I could tell, they did him no harm.
Like most good dishes, it is easy to fix.  Buy the ribs "two and under," which your butcher will know means slabs of ribs two pounds or less in weight.  Sprinkle them with Dry Rib Seasoning, taking care to get plenty of seasoning under the flap of meat on the bottom, or bone side, of each slab.  Mop thoroughly and cook on the barbecue grill.
Baked Beans   (6 good-sized portions)
The easiest way to get yourself a good baked bean dish is to buy yourself some canned baked beans & then proceed as follows.
1 large can    pork and beans
2       Tbsp   grated onion
  1/4   pound  salt pork, diced
  1/4   pound  breakfast bacon, fried and crumbled
2       Tbsp   ketchup
3       Tbsp   blackstrap molasses
1       Tbsp   brown sugar
  1/4   tsp    dry mustard
               salt and pepper
Mix all the ingredients in a skillet and cook on the grill about 15 minutes so the flavors can blend.  Some canned tomatoes on top will pep up the color & add to the flavor.

[attachment deleted by admin]
#1 - October 09, 2010, 10:44:45 am
David Klose
BBQ Pits by Klose
Houston, Texas

Gizzy's Smokin Crew

After seeing the picture I would'nt want to get on your bad side ???

Great recpies though......Gotta try them ;D
#2 - October 09, 2010, 11:34:55 am
Gizzy's Q'N Crew......"FANG" Tastic BBQ
Brinkman Pitmaster Deluxe
Weber Genesis Gas Grill

AzQer

Thanks David those recipes fed Presidents so I'm sure they are great
#3 - October 09, 2010, 02:38:45 pm
Mark Smith
Southern Arizona BBQ Club Ambassador
MarkSmith@AZBarbeque.com

azkitch

Which president ate the kid?
#4 - October 13, 2010, 06:01:40 pm
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

RudedoggAZ

Thanks for the great recipes!
#5 - October 13, 2010, 06:20:40 pm

brandon

Great recipes and a fun twist. BBQ is not braised or boiled brisket in my opinion but has become the norm and I do like some I have tried. I am still a fan of the low and slow smoked without the Texas Crutch, it is just a different taste and texture but does not place well in todays bbq.

It is funny how flavors change in time. My first wife loved mashed potatoes with a steak but when I made her favorite meal she only liked the steak. It did not take long after the romance faltered to find she was a Potato Buds Baby, she was raised on instant potato products and when I gave her fantastic real potatoes they did not taste as she wanted. Go figure!

#6 - October 14, 2010, 01:56:32 am

Members: