AZ Barbeque.com

Deals on corned beef

Discussion started on

Mark

It's that time of year. Fry's and Safeway have corned beef points for $1.27/lb. Heckuva deal!

I like to soak them a day to de-salt, then roll 'em in cracked pepper and corriander seed before smoking into pastrami goodness. :P
#1 - March 09, 2010, 11:07:48 pm
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Great idea Mark, I will have to try that this year...
#2 - March 09, 2010, 11:54:52 pm
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

KidCurry

Yep...its the pastrami time of year.

Wait till after St. Pattys and load up the freezer.  :D
#3 - March 10, 2010, 08:16:48 am
KidCurry@AZBarbeque.com
KCBS CBJ
Mike boils his ribs....pass it on.

MeatInc

Smart and Final had full size brisket packers that were "cured" into corned beef.  I got three for the guys in the shop so I get to practice trimming and cooking brisket and get 25 or so lbs of corned beef for the guys.  The price was about $1.95 / lb.  I'll throw the spice pack that came with it in when I foil it.

I'll take pictures next week so you guys can check it out and provide feedback!
#4 - March 10, 2010, 08:32:23 am
Meat, Inc.

De Profundis

Mrs. McFrankenboo

I CANNOT WAIT FOR CORNED BEEF & CABBAGE!!!  And then corned beef sandwiches!  This is better than Christmas for me!
#5 - March 10, 2010, 08:32:47 am

Jaybird

It's that time of year. Fry's and Safeway have corned beef points for $1.27/lb. Heckuva deal!

I like to soak them a day to de-salt, then roll 'em in cracked pepper and corriander seed before smoking into pastrami goodness. :P

What's your process for smoking Mark?
#6 - March 10, 2010, 08:52:17 am

Mark

Last time I used grapevine, but it provided too pungent a smoke. I think I'll try cherry this time. I basically treat them like brisket. The one thing I learned is that corned beef gets even saltier when it shrinks through smoking. :-X I haven't tried it this way, but it might even be good to poach it before smoking for an hour or two, then rub it with pepper and corriander (no salt), chill it and smoke it to finish the cooking process. And since you want to thinly slice it, it doesn't need to be totally cooked to fall-apart level. Probably 180 would do. Of course, this is all speculation! ;)

#7 - March 10, 2010, 09:58:05 am
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

toys4dlr

A long soak is a must or it is just too salty to eat.  If you think about it, you boil it for several hours in water and that removes much of the salt.  I cook it to about 185 for the same reason Mark mentioned, I am going to slice it up thin. 
#8 - March 10, 2010, 10:21:13 pm
Toys 4 BBQ'N
Competition BBQ Team - Anthem, Arizona

Comfort is King with our team

Q-TO-U-BBQ, Anthem AZ
North Valley Magazine's Reader's Choice Best BBQ for 2010 and 2011

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Hey all, moved this over to the Recipe section as I thought the great recipes for the Corned Beef should be in here..
#9 - March 10, 2010, 11:14:01 pm
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

PAT YOUNG

ERIN, My uncle sent me a recipe a few years ago that used half water and half GUINESS for the liquid part of the recipe! It also added juniper berries and was the best corn beef and cabbage that iv'e ever had , and my family is IRISH so iv'e eaten c and c since i was about 2 or 3 y/o!!
#10 - March 11, 2010, 12:34:19 am

toys4dlr

Hey Pat,

That sounds like a great idea, but I might have a tough time cooking with Guiness.  That is one less I get to drink.  :D
#11 - March 11, 2010, 07:31:00 am
Toys 4 BBQ'N

Q-TO-U-BBQ, Anthem AZ

toys4dlr

Oh and you can not forget about Corned Beef Hash the next morning.  I Bake or sometimes throw a couple spuds and a few Sweet Potatoes in the smoker and cook til soft, but a little bite to it. 

Slice the corned beef into 1/2 x 1/2 chunks or so, same with the onions and potatoes.  Saute the onions first (I like rosemary too), then the potatoes until brown and crisp and finally the Corned Beef.  Mix all together, plate and top with a fried egg. 

It is Breakfast time.   8)
#12 - March 11, 2010, 07:37:50 am
Toys 4 BBQ'N

Q-TO-U-BBQ, Anthem AZ

Members: