AZ Barbeque.com

Beef ribs?

Discussion started on

skou

Does anyone have a decent recipe for beef ribs?

My GF doesn't like pork too much, and really prefers beef.  And if you notice, the only posts I make where I'm not talking about pork, I'm bagging on my big  (really big) brother! :D  So I'm open for tips and suggestions.

steve
#1 - June 12, 2010, 09:56:44 pm
Currently cooking with a newly built UDS,(thanks to Skouson, my brother) which is my current best smoker.  I've also got a Weber Performer, also from Sterling.  My brothers think I'm CRAZY.  (Strangely, they're right.)

DanMan

I love beef ribs and have done a few racks recently,   They were great!.  I read to stay away from sugar in the rub.  They take a lot longer than pork ribs.  Just do a search on the internet beef ribs and lots of suggestions pop up also search this site there are several posts about them.  WHere did you get your ribs from?
#2 - June 13, 2010, 07:27:09 am

mustang

Does anyone have a decent recipe for beef ribs?

My GF doesn't like pork too much, and really prefers beef.  And if you notice, the only posts I make where I'm not talking about pork, I'm bagging on my big  (really big) brother! :D  So I'm open for tips and suggestions.

steve

Here's an alternative method favored by Adam Perry Lang, the chef-owner of Daisy Mae's BBQ who has serious competition-BBQ credibility.

Since beef ribs have less collagen than pork ribs and have a tendency to dry out, he likes to cook them hot and fast.

First, he slathers a rack of beef ribs with beef base (for a glue) and then sprinkles ribs with a dry rub.

Then, he cooks them bone-side DOWN using Indirect Setup at 300-325 degrees for 1 hr and 15 min.

Next, remove from cooker and wrap securely in foil with mix of 1 TBSP honey, 1 TBSP chopped onion, and 1 TBSP water.

Return wrapped package to cooker bone-side UP and cook for another 1 hr and 15 min.

Remove from cooker and allow to rest (still wrapped!) for 15 min. more.

Unwrap after resting period and return to cooker for 30 min more while basting with glaze made from 1/4 cup BBQ sauce mixed with 1 TBSP honey.

Total time = 3 hrs, 15 min

#3 - June 13, 2010, 01:25:17 pm

Mark

It's important to remove the membrane on beef ribs. It is far tougher than on pork ribs. Taking it off lets you season both sides of the ribs.
#4 - June 13, 2010, 02:05:16 pm
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

Members: