AZ Barbeque.com

UDS Temp

Discussion started on

dk531255

I was wondering, as a newbie, what temp you try and regulate your UDS to. How mant holes for ventilation do you keep open Thanks
#1 - May 29, 2009, 05:16:09 pm

smokewagonbbq

DK...

As a relatively new UDS owner (we have made about 8 in the last 3 months) I have to tell you that in our experience we have to keep one, two or all 3 holes open sometimes!  Most of the time 1 will do the trick and if you regulate it with a ball valve it's a great start.

Now, if it's windy, cold, raining, your charcoal is burning down, etc...you may find you need 2 or even all ports open to get the temp where it belongs.

As far as the temp goes, we cook between 200 and 230 for most of our food.  It's fairly easy to maintain those temps with the UDS.  Even easier with a 16 quart stainless steel drip/water pan ($8).  This also prevents a majority of the flare ups you will undoubtedly encounter without it when you take the lid off to mop, check temps, move, or foil your goodies...It's even easier to maintain the temp with a stoker but that's another story and whole lot more than the $8 water pan.

Hope this helps.
#2 - May 29, 2009, 05:54:27 pm
Smoke Wagon Bar-B-Que, LLC
Fire Up the Pit...

KidCurry

Usually 1 open all the way and the valve about 1/4 to 1/2...but last time we were in FLAG I had all 4 open to get 230.  :o  Once it got there it hung for hours!
#3 - May 29, 2009, 06:09:17 pm
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 12:34:46 pm by KidCurry »
KidCurry@AZBarbeque.com
KCBS CBJ
Mike boils his ribs....pass it on.

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Chad, where are the pictures of the ones you built? 
#4 - May 29, 2009, 06:33:54 pm
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

smokewagonbbq

Good thing you asked....

Here's our setup in Boulder City of 5 of them that came with us.

[attachment deleted by admin]
#5 - May 30, 2009, 08:43:21 am
Smoke Wagon Bar-B-Que, LLC
Fire Up the Pit...

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Those look great.  Can't wait to see them in person..
#6 - May 30, 2009, 09:37:38 am
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

Quiggs

They looked great at Boulder, specially the bomb-b-q!
#7 - May 30, 2009, 05:22:34 pm
Quiggs@AZBarbeque.com
Smokin Dead Meat BBQ
Born on Date 4-18-08
WSM, 22" WSM, Offset, UDS, Pro Q, Couple of Weber Golds, Bradley & Gas Burner.
www.smokinbbq.piczo.com
KCBS member & judge # 51659 of questionable standing

garth57

Ball valves at Harbor Freight are about 6-8 bucks. Not sure if they are located in AZ or not. I usually close the holes up prior to opening lid and it seems to help with the temp spike. Just don't forget to open them back up to same position as prior. I usually run ball valve 1/4 to 1/2 open and 1 cap off, 2 of the 4 holes in my flat lid off.

My safety tip of the day :
 Always open the end of the lid that is facing away from you. When cooking moink balls, you can get quite a flare up in the face and potentially burn parts of your mustache, eyelashes and sides of your hair if done improperly. Don't ask me how I know this! No. there are no pics.
#8 - December 16, 2009, 12:17:42 pm

azkitch

Ya, you betcha we have HF cheapie stores! Love going there, second to Restaurant Depot.
#9 - December 16, 2009, 02:22:56 pm
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

KidCurry

none up here... :(
#10 - December 16, 2009, 03:26:44 pm
KidCurry@AZBarbeque.com
KCBS CBJ
Mike boils his ribs....pass it on.

ON THE FARM

I have 3 1 inch holes at the bottom and 8 - 1/2 inch holes in the flat lid, also i use magnets to cover the holes and have never had more than 1 open at one time and it will hold strong at 240. 3/4 0f a hole it chugs at 230.
the holes you have in the drum are important! i have been cooking with these drums for about 6 years and found that IMHO the 8 - 1/2 inch holes in the lid are a must! any thing less gives your meat too much smoke and tastes bitter and any thing more fire burns too hot.
the bottom can be 3/4 to 1 inch with or with out a ball valve.

GOOD LUCK!!
#11 - April 08, 2010, 10:09:51 pm

Members: